'Boy wizard comes of age . . . now stage is set for a magical future'

I certainly hope so he 's already good enough

Exclusive by Thomas Jordan

HE'S the kid with magic in his boots, a youngster with a spellbinding talent whose name conjured up talk of a new Ibrox hero-in-waiting long before he made his first-team debut this season.

As the most promising rookie in the country, his name was being whispered not long after he was out of primary school.

He almost single-handedly won the SFA Youth Cup for Rangers last month with a stunning double against Old Firm rivals Celtic.

He was more recently voted among the 10 best in Europe at his age group after captaining Scotland to the last eight of the Uefa Under-17 Championship in their first appearance at the finals.

advertisement

And, perhaps most notably of all, nine days ago he became the youngest player ever to appear in a Scottish Cup Final at just 16 years and 274 days.

That it was John Fleck who rewrote 134 years of Scottish football history will have come as no surprise to those within the game.

It was always a case of sooner rather than later for the kid who has been training with Rangers since those primary school days. As Rangers boss Walter Smith declared at the turn of the year: "John is a boy who will play early in the first team.

"He looks as if he is going to be a really good player. At under-19 level and the reserves, he has shown that age is no barrier."

Fleck's first-team debut was to come in January as a sub against East Stirling in the Scottish Cup.

Since then, he has made two more substitute appearances, against Aberdeen in the final SPL game of the season, and then in the Hampden showpiece against Queen of the South.

That cup final cameo - playing the last five minutes in place of Jean-Claude Darcheville - was a measure of the regard in which Fleck is held by Smith. And it was full of promise for things to come. Some seasoned professionals would have crumbled under the gaze of 50,000 fans at the National Stadium.

But Fleck didn't look out of place at all. His runs were well timed, his touch was spot on and he didn't waste a pass in a number of moves in which he was involved despite only a brief period on the pitch.

NOW he has banked a Scottish Cup winner's medal and the smart money would be on many more being added in the years ahead.

"It was an unbelievable experience," he smiled, and you get the impression he has been unable to get that grin off his face since.

"You dream about playing in cup finals and it was fantastic to get out there and play a part in such an occasion. My family and friends were at the game. We just went home on the Saturday night and it was pretty quiet, but people have been congratulating me and it was a brilliant way to end the season."

Walter Smith decided against naming his team until just three hours before kick-off.

That allowed Fleck the luxury of a decent night's sleep without worrying about the prospect of perhaps taking part in the biggest game of his life.

He said: "I didn't have a great amount of time to think about it, really. I called my parents and told them. Then we just made our way to the stadium and prepared for the game. I was warming up beside Steven Davis when he was called over and sent on, and then Kenny McDowall called me over and told me I was going on.

"Ian Durrant threw my strip over to me and I just received some instructions before going on. It was a nice surprise to get a game and it's something that will live with me forever."

Most youngsters would simply be delighted at getting such a chance, but such are Fleck's expectations he harbours a tinge of regret - the missed opportunity to get his name on the scoresheet.

He made a strong run at the Queen's defence before playing in Barry Ferguson.

Just about everyone inside the stadium expected the skipper to pull the trigger, but he cut inside and tried to play in Fleck for a goal to round off his special day. Fleck, though, was quickly shut down and didn't have any time to pick his spot "I felt I should have scored with that chance," said John. "I didn't expect Barry to pass the ball back to me, but it was a chance."

The victory over Queen of the South made it three wins in three games at the National Stadium for Fleck.

"Obviously the cup final was my first appearance there for the first-team," he said. "But I've played there in the SFA Youth Cup Final for the past two years when we've managed to defeat Celtic on both occasions, so I've enjoyed all my Hampden Park experiences."

Fleck isn't the type to get carried away. Quite simply, his dad, Alan, the biggest influence on the Rangers rookie's career - and the brother of former Ibrox striker Robert Fleck - wouldn't allow it. But John is naturally grounded.

Ross Mathie, the SFA's international youth coach, said: "You get some young players who are full of themselves because they get things too early, but John isn't like that.

"We had him for two years at under-16s and now at under-17s and have never had one problem. He leads by example in the squad. If you want to know something about the mood in the camp, then you can speak to John.

"Equally, if the players have any issues they want addressed then they speak to John, he dissects it, and then comes to me and we try to sort it out."

For his part, Fleck emphasises that he isn't the only youngster at Murray Park trying to force his way into the first-team.

He pointed out: A number of the guys have been included this season as part of the Under-21 rule and the manager has given some of them a chance to play, so it's really encouraging for everyone to know they could get a chance."

As well as his own famous uncle, there is other pedigree in the under-17s at Rangers, with Grant Adam, the goalkeeping younger brother of first-team player Charlie, and Scott Durie, son of ex-Ibrox star Gordon.

So what now for young Fleck?

"I'm going for a holiday and then I'm looking forward to coming back in for pre-season training," he said.

"You need to keep improving and I know I've got a lot of hard work ahead of me."

If he continues to improve at the rate he has, those early whispers will build up to a crescendo for this youngster with the football world, literally, at his feet.

Publication date 02/06/08

We need to hang on to youngsters like this, I'll be raging if we do sell him. Keep up the good work wee man, hope to see you appearing for the first team regularly soon. :beer2:

How long will it be though till the boo boys start getting on his back , youth has always been a curse at Rangers , as we expect so much so soon , the last young player that made it properly was Durrant till that bastard done him .

The under 19's have plenty of good young players that should all be given a chance at some point in the season , too much should not be heaped on young fleck too soon

I hope the Boo boys wont start, but id imagine he will gradually be brought into the first team rather in straight at the deep end. He has the ability their is now doubting, but we cant forget Naismith also, hes a great all round talent too