Plg Delighted With Svensson's Progress

J_RFC87

He was nervous to start off with but other than that he was solid it was probably his performance for us and if he keeps it up he will b a great player for us just needs to communicate better with the keeper other than that no complaints

Once his English starts to improve his ommunication will be better B)

Jd.I've asked you repeatedly not to use words that I've got to look up in the dictionary. :unsure::lol:

The majority of teams in the world play 1 commanding defender (who goes and attacks the ball) and 1 defender who sweeps up in behind, anticipates flick ons, loose balls and makes last ditch tackles.

Man Utd - Vidic attacks the ball, Rio covers in behind

Chelsea - Terry attacks the ball, Carvalho covers in behind

Liverpool - Hypia attacks the ball, Carragher covers in behind

Rangers have the covering defender in Svensson, they just need to find the defender who is going to attack the ball.

All these players are big commanding players in their own right as well as, and this is the difference, top class internationals.

I agree with your argument about the attacking and covering player but any opposition will target weaknesses and and even as a covering defender Svensson will have to improve more dramatically to fulfil that role.

Svensson isnt a small player and can win headers, its just not his strength. Asking him to win 15-20 headers in a game and contact with them well, is completely different from bringing in a commanding centre half, who will attack almost everything in the air and therefore only asking Svensson to win 5-6 headers max.

Svensson isnt a small player and can win headers, its just not his strength. Asking him to win 15-20 headers in a game and contact with them well, is completely different from bringing in a commanding centre half, who will attack almost everything in the air and therefore only asking Svensson to win 5-6 headers max.

If only football was so simple. Yes one or other of the defenders attacks the ball and the other covers. But you don't have a defender whose role is do one of these tasks. The ball is played into different areas and the game is played at pace and opponents are allowed to move. You cannot afford to have your defender waiting for his colleague perhaps 20yards away to come and attack the ball in the area you are holding at the time.

Svenssons profession is a central defender and would have been playing that position since his teens and he is not that small but lacks the timing and technique to head the ball properly(watch his warm up attempts to head the thrown ball)

"Dear opposition manager,

We have signed a commanding central defender to play alongside Karl. Could you please ensure all crosses and high balls are played into our new player as that would give Karl the chance to cover behind. Also instruct your forwards not to make runs in case they draw him out of position.

Another problem I have at the moment is on the left side of defence where we have been exposed recently as our left midfielder finds it difficult to track back at times and our left back gets drawn ino the centre of defence. Could you instruct your players that the area on our left side from the 18 yard box to the touchline for 40 yards from the bye line should not be entered. OH and Sebo may find himself in a 1 on 1 situation with your goalie,he will shoot sraight at him, so ask him to move out the way of the shot.

Thank,

plg"

Simple solution and we win the league.Or maybe life isn't like that.

One season we had a good run in Europe.

We managed to beat Lyngby 3-0 on aggregate. Hardly a footballing giant.

We then played an english team, Leeds. In 92/93 english teams played the same way as Rangers did. The style of play suited as and we managed to beat them 4-2 on aggregate.

In the group stage we had Marseille, CSKA Moscow and Brugge. Sure we were unlucky not to make the final, but it was a one off

In 1989/90 we went out in round 1 to Bayern Munich

In 1990/91 we beat a poor Valleta team, before being humiliated by Red Star Belgrade.

In 1991/92 we went out in the first round to Spata Prague

In 1993/1994 we went out to Levski Sofia in round 1 (4-4 away goals)

In 1994/95 we went out to AEK Athens in qualifying round (beat 3-0 on agg)

In 1995/96 we struggled to beat Famagusta (1-0 on agg) In the group stages Juventus hammer us home and away (4-0 and 4-1) and we only managed 1 win (Home to Steau Bucharest)

In 1996/97 we Hammered Alania Vladikavkaz to get to the group stages. Once there we only won 1 game (grasshoppers 3-0 at home)

rfc_no 1 fan's post says it all. on a slightly different theme: a lot of fans seem to have selective memories on the notion of a scottish manager. walter smith may have presided over domestic success but his team - aside from one year - did lamentably in europe. mcleish's reign: think about the last game at ibrox against celtic which we needed to win (a match le guen attended). played on a much better surface due to the time of year. yet we did not play at anything like the tempo on sunday - the football was turgid - and did not create one chance of note.

listening to radio callers calling for ally mccoist for example is simply madness. playing with passion is of course necessary but what really counts is fitness and stamina otherwise the spirit may be willing but the flesh is weak - at least over 90 mins.

finally: le guen has a mind of steel and doest think he has to play the game of denyying this or denyting that quote retard 'he didnt deny ....'

He was nervous to start off with but other than that he was solid it was probably his performance for us and if he keeps it up he will b a great player for us just needs to communicate better with the keeper other than that no complaints

Once his English starts to improve his ommunication will be better B)

Once he is paired with an experienced, organised, ball winning defender, hard defender then I think he will turn out to be a good player for us.

Muffger, I read a lot of your comments mate and I have to be honest, I don't think you will ever see PLG playing the kind of defender you are looking for. I think the days (under PLG anyway) when we have a Gough or Butcher at the heart of defence are long gone. PLG wants cultured ball playing defenders in defence - not bravehearts (which is why we'll never sign pressley).

I know where you're coming from but I think PLG would rather see two Svennsons back there than one svennson and one pressley - cos we simply cant afford Sol Campbell.

Completely agree with you mate, PLG is a big fan of football being played on the deck. Which is why JROD isnt playing, he is a ball winning defender (well he is supposed to be). But Hemdani is a ball player, as is Papac. However I cannot see why we have bought Papac as he is not getting used. Having said this though PLG is an enigma and I sometimes cannot work him out, so have just given up, I will let his progression of Rangers back into the biggest force in scotland do the talking.

The chat seems to be that JRod will be sold in January and we will sign 23 year old Rennes defender Etienne Didot to replace him.

Maybe someone on here knows what type of defender he is?