Plg Delighted With Svensson's Progress

J_RFC87

Le Guen was also delighted with the performance of Swedish defender Karl Svensson, who almost scored only to be denied by Boruc.

"It is not easy to come to Rangers and settle in straight away but he is starting to now and I think that showed today," he said.

"He is a very clever player and he is getting better."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/6187727.stm

Hes defo starting to show why we bought him. He does have the od heart breaking moment, but his reading of the game is great, he has built up his presence and strength and his distribution out of defence is a lot better.

He was nervous to start off with but other than that he was solid it was probably his performance for us and if he keeps it up he will b a great player for us just needs to communicate better with the keeper other than that no complaints

He was nervous to start off with but other than that he was solid it was probably his performance for us and if he keeps it up he will b a great player for us just needs to communicate better with the keeper other than that no complaints

Once his English starts to improve his ommunication will be better B)

Once he is paired with an experienced, organised, ball winning defender, hard defender then I think he will turn out to be a good player for us.

All this talk of pairing Svensson with a hard, ball-winning, great header, organiser of a centre-back............so why will we then need Svensson?? Better still, buy TWO of the above and sell Slipshod...sorry, that should read Svensson.

Obviously you know nothing about football.

How can you come out and say that Rangers should sign 2 commanding centre halfs and sell Svensson?

The problem at the back is Hemdani and when he is replaced with a tough tackler, no nonsense defender, who wins a lot in the air. Rangers will go on to achieve great things.

Having 2 commanding centre halfs dont work, teams then play around your defense instead of the aeriel assualt. You need to mix it up.

P.S - As I have said numerous times before, Svensson will go on to become a world class defender and end up playing in a big league for an Arsenal, Ac Milan etc

RFC_no1fan - Gersal does know a thing or two about football over a lot of years. You may have a disagreement over the CH issue but no need for silly statements.

Personal remarks of that kind are not welcome. Your point can be made without the snide remarks. Please note this.

:rolleyes:

Obviously you know nothing about football.

How can you come out and say that Rangers should sign 2 commanding centre halfs and sell Svensson?

The problem at the back is Hemdani and when he is replaced with a tough tackler, no nonsense defender, who wins a lot in the air. Rangers will go on to achieve great things.

Having 2 commanding centre halfs dont work, teams then play around your defense instead of the aeriel assualt. You need to mix it up.

P.S - As I have said numerous times before, Svensson will go on to become a world class defender and end up playing in a big league for an Arsenal, Ac Milan etc

Of course, you're totally right. How remiss of me to think that Butcher/Roberts and Butcher/Gough were examples of dominating center-backs being successfully deployed together.

RFC_no1fan - Gersal does know a thing or two about football over a lot of years. You may have a disagreement over the CH issue but no need for silly statements.

Personal remarks of that kind are not welcome. Your point can be made without the snide remarks. Please note this.

:rolleyes:

Cheers, Nvager, but just let him be, I've already thanked him for keeping me right. :lol::lol:

That was a different footballing era.

Rangers were the dominant force in Scotland and noone was even close to us.

When we went into Europe we got pumped by teams...... How did they play against us? They played round us, in behind us and at times ran our back line ragged.

The majority of teams in the world play 1 commanding defender (who goes and attacks the ball) and 1 defender who sweeps up in behind, anticipates flick ons, loose balls and makes last ditch tackles.

Man Utd - Vidic attacks the ball, Rio covers in behind

Chelsea - Terry attacks the ball, Carvalho covers in behind

Liverpool - Hypia attacks the ball, Carragher covers in behind

Rangers have the covering defender in Svensson, they just need to find the defender who is going to attack the ball.

Totally agree with rfc_no1fan here.

He missed out Arsenal though, with Toure winning the ball and Gallas the ball playing centre back.

Look at the way Lovenkrands tore through Celtic when they played Bobo and Mjallby in the centre of defence?

Every successful team needs a ball winner and a ball player in the middle of defence, the point is undebatable.

That was a different footballing era.

Rangers were the dominant force in Scotland and noone was even close to us.

When we went into Europe we got pumped by teams...... How did they play against us? They played round us, in behind us and at times ran our back line ragged.

I seem to recall us being pipped for a CL Final place by Marseille (who, it transpired, were bribing people) in those days. Not bad for a team who were getting pumped.

One season we had a good run in Europe.

We managed to beat Lyngby 3-0 on aggregate. Hardly a footballing giant.

We then played an english team, Leeds. In 92/93 english teams played the same way as Rangers did. The style of play suited as and we managed to beat them 4-2 on aggregate.

In the group stage we had Marseille, CSKA Moscow and Brugge. Sure we were unlucky not to make the final, but it was a one off

In 1989/90 we went out in round 1 to Bayern Munich

In 1990/91 we beat a poor Valleta team, before being humiliated by Red Star Belgrade.

In 1991/92 we went out in the first round to Spata Prague

In 1993/1994 we went out to Levski Sofia in round 1 (4-4 away goals)

In 1994/95 we went out to AEK Athens in qualifying round (beat 3-0 on agg)

In 1995/96 we struggled to beat Famagusta (1-0 on agg) In the group stages Juventus hammer us home and away (4-0 and 4-1) and we only managed 1 win (Home to Steau Bucharest)

In 1996/97 we Hammered Alania Vladikavkaz to get to the group stages. Once there we only won 1 game (grasshoppers 3-0 at home)

Once he is paired with an experienced, organised, ball winning defender, hard defender then I think he will turn out to be a good player for us.

Muffger, I read a lot of your comments mate and I have to be honest, I don't think you will ever see PLG playing the kind of defender you are looking for. I think the days (under PLG anyway) when we have a Gough or Butcher at the heart of defence are long gone. PLG wants cultured ball playing defenders in defence - not bravehearts (which is why we'll never sign pressley).

I know where you're coming from but I think PLG would rather see two Svennsons back there than one svennson and one pressley - cos we simply cant afford Sol Campbell.

Muffger, I read a lot of your comments mate and I have to be honest, I don't think you will ever see PLG playing the kind of defender you are looking for. I think the days (under PLG anyway) when we have a Gough or Butcher at the heart of defence are long gone. PLG wants cultured ball playing defenders in defence - not bravehearts (which is why we'll never sign pressley).

I know where you're coming from but I think PLG would rather see two Svennsons back there than one svennson and one pressley - cos we simply cant afford Sol Campbell.

I don't want Pressley or Campbell anywhere near Ibrox. I want to see a player like them tho. If Le Guen wants two centre halfs like Svensson then he still has not got what the SPL is all about. Over 90% of our goals have come from crosses, defenders failing to put a head on the ball. McGregor also comes out to punch it as there is no big defender there to header it away. You have to pair a neat defender(Svensson) with a Marv(but better) type player.

I see we have been linked with Kaboul in the past, that guy is rotten in the air. As for the Ivorian guy I cannot comment.

Completely agree with you mate, PLG is a big fan of football being played on the deck. Which is why JROD isnt playing, he is a ball winning defender (well he is supposed to be). But Hemdani is a ball player, as is Papac. However I cannot see why we have bought Papac as he is not getting used. Having said this though PLG is an enigma and I sometimes cannot work him out, so have just given up, I will let his progression of Rangers back into the biggest force in scotland do the talking.

Le Guen was also delighted with the performance of Swedish defender Karl Svensson, who almost scored only to be denied by Boruc.

"It is not easy to come to Rangers and settle in straight away but he is starting to now and I think that showed today," he said.

"He is a very clever player and he is getting better."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/6187727.stm

Hes defo starting to show why we bought him. He does have the od heart breaking moment, but his reading of the game is great, he has built up his presence and strength and his distribution out of defence is a lot better.

He just gets better and better. Took him a while to settle in, but now he seems to have done it, and to be the best defender on the pitch on Sunday was a nice achievement for him.

If you can do it in the OF matches, you're made of the right stuff.

I don't want Pressley or Campbell anywhere near Ibrox. I want to see a player like them tho. If Le Guen wants two centre halfs like Svensson then he still has not got what the SPL is all about. Over 90% of our goals have come from crosses, defenders failing to put a head on the ball. McGregor also comes out to punch it as there is no big defender there to header it away. You have to pair a neat defender(Svensson) with a Marv(but better) type player.

I see we have been linked with Kaboul in the past, that guy is rotten in the air. As for the Ivorian guy I cannot comment.

Just had a weird thought..... I'm going to start a new thread based on this....

(The new thread is called The Pioneer - seems to be attracting some interest.)