Guest Andypendek

Ok well here's my first couple of players.

Stefan Maierhofer (25) Was once on Bayern Munich's books, but never made a proper breakthrough even though he scored a hat full of goals for their reservers. After a few years playing in second divison in German he's back in Austrua with Rapid Vienna and he's hit the goals since he went there. Giant of a striker. Stands at 6'8 but is anything but a lumbering target man. Has very good technique and movement, aswell as a decent amount of pace too.

Hugo Rodallega (22) currently plays for Nexaca in Mexico & is a full international for Colombia. Another player who posses good pace & mobility. Normally I would be reluctant to suggest a player who is this unknown. But who had heard of Palacios a year ago?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andypendek

Whether the club goes for it or not doesn't matter THAT much, though. As I said earlier, they only listen to people they trust and that's not about to change just coz we want it to. This is more for fun and also to show off how cool we are.

It would help anybody's credibility if they had a track record in the game. Most of us here won't so you can't blame the professionals for feeling they have better contacts in the game. The Laudrups, Pritzs and Albertzs will probably keep in touch with Ally and give us the heads up.

Guest therabbitt

Milk Cup is happening over here at the end of the month, some real gems have graced this summer tournament

Seen Rooney, Altidore, Lafferty etc etc play within the last few years. Some previous winners of player of the season include messers Beckham, Joe Cole etc. They all come here.

Guest therabbitt

You talking about the Milk Cup mate?

I've been a long term advocate of the tournament as a place to unearth young talent. Mainly due to the amount and breadth of talent available. There are clubs literally from all over the world. I remember some years back watching Wayne Rooney play in Ballymoney for Everton boys side in July and by the end of the year he had scored that wonder goal against the Arsenal in his debut!

Only 2 years back I remember seeing Jozy Altidore, however the stand out for me from that American side was a Stuart McCall lookalike and playalike called Dax McCarty, who now plays for FC Dallas in the MLS and has made the American pre-olympic team.

Dax McCarty

There was another young lad called Conor Clifford who was playing for Crumlin United, a team from Dublin in the centre of midfield. He absolutely ran the show, it was like watching Steven Gerrard, he was everywhere, scoring a brilliant freekick in the final. Playing at another level that year were Chelsea, who snapped this young lad up after the tournament where Conor now plays his football.

Also, I remember watching Kyle Lafferty play for NI in the Joey Dunlop stadium, I think two years ago, against Paraguay. There was a buzz around the 'stadium' because he was playing. He was a known talent and he seemed to have half of Fermanagh with him to support him! He scored a fantastic goal where he brought the ball down with his back to goal and turned and volleyed in one motion, absolute belter!

An interesting fact is that at the 2002 World Cup, there were 30 players playing who had played in the Milk Cup!!

If you were talking about the Milk Cup then they run a few highlights most nights on BBC NI when the tournament is on and on finals day they show the full Elite (born on or after 1989) and Premier section (born on or after 1991) games live. If anyone was interested I could record the highlights and then Rapidshare them. Perhaps they will all be made available on BBC iPlayer?

I'd talk about the Milk Cup all day long and different players I have seen.....

Seen teams as diverse as River Plate (Argentina), Fluminese (Brazil), Bayern Munich, Maccabi Haifa, Man U, Chelsea, Everton, Otago (New Zealand), Cruz Azul (Mexico), Brondby, Chilie, USA, the list is endless....well not endless but very diverse!! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing Sevilla this season too, as they have a fantastic youth set up. One which has really let them push on as a side and let them spend relatively big in the transfer market for a club from a town its size!

If any bears have any free time - get yourselves over here to the North Antrim coast at the end of July - its an absolute belter!!

Sorry to slebber on, its just something I'm very passionate about!

I'll happily scour the scottish leagues, SPL included, I speak the language pretty well

What does 'Aye', 'pish' and 'bawbag' mean then? doh

:mutley:

roughly translated as, affirmative, urine, and scrotum!

go me, master of the scottish language :craphead:

see you have went for the literal translations but that is NOT what these terms mean

aye - can mean no - its a tonal thing as in 'Aye, that'll be right' means No F8king way!

'pish' can mean urine - but on this board actually means 'aweful' as in 'he was pish'.

'bawbag' is never used on this site to represent scrotum - roughly translated it means ' You are an idiot of the first order. Your opinions are utter nonsense and I do not rate you highly at all. You are low life scum and plankton has more intelligence, wit and brains than you'll ever posess'. (You can see why bawbag is used - easier to write but conveys the same meaning!)

I am not yet sure you are qualified to monitor the Scottish game . but then again ????

You talking about the Milk Cup mate?

I've been a long term advocate of the tournament as a place to unearth young talent. Mainly due to the amount and breadth of talent available. There are clubs literally from all over the world. I remember some years back watching Wayne Rooney play in Ballymoney for Everton boys side in July and by the end of the year he had scored that wonder goal against the Arsenal in his debut!

Only 2 years back I remember seeing Jozy Altidore, however the stand out for me from that American side was a Stuart McCall lookalike and playalike called Dax McCarty, who now plays for FC Dallas in the MLS and has made the American pre-olympic team.

Dax McCarty

There was another young lad called Conor Clifford who was playing for Crumlin United, a team from Dublin in the centre of midfield. He absolutely ran the show, it was like watching Steven Gerrard, he was everywhere, scoring a brilliant freekick in the final. Playing at another level that year were Chelsea, who snapped this young lad up after the tournament where Conor now plays his football.

Also, I remember watching Kyle Lafferty play for NI in the Joey Dunlop stadium, I think two years ago, against Paraguay. There was a buzz around the 'stadium' because he was playing. He was a known talent and he seemed to have half of Fermanagh with him to support him! He scored a fantastic goal where he brought the ball down with his back to goal and turned and volleyed in one motion, absolute belter!

An interesting fact is that at the 2002 World Cup, there were 30 players playing who had played in the Milk Cup!!

If you were talking about the Milk Cup then they run a few highlights most nights on BBC NI when the tournament is on and on finals day they show the full Elite (born on or after 1989) and Premier section (born on or after 1991) games live. If anyone was interested I could record the highlights and then Rapidshare them. Perhaps they will all be made available on BBC iPlayer?

I'd talk about the Milk Cup all day long and different players I have seen.....

Seen teams as diverse as River Plate (Argentina), Fluminese (Brazil), Bayern Munich, Maccabi Haifa, Man U, Chelsea, Everton, Otago (New Zealand), Cruz Azul (Mexico), Brondby, Chilie, USA, the list is endless....well not endless but very diverse!! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing Sevilla this season too, as they have a fantastic youth set up. One which has really let them push on as a side and let them spend relatively big in the transfer market for a club from a town its size!

If any bears have any free time - get yourselves over here to the North Antrim coast at the end of July - its an absolute belter!!

Sorry to slebber on, its just something I'm very passionate about!

The Foyle Cup which is on just before the Milk Cup is another good competition for scouting emerging players not as diverse as the milk cup but fewer professional teams in the competition, so easier to recruit players as many will not be attached to pro clubs unlike most who participate in the Milk Cup.

A few Irish league teams and Eircom league teams are there, as well as Hearts, Hull, Sheffield Utd, Ferencvaros and Montpellier, there is also the Aspire Acadamy from Qatar, a team from Ghana and a couple of sides from Canada.

The young Hearts striker Gary Glen who scored a couple goals in the SPL this season played in it a couple of years ago.

Guest therabbitt

I always find that the Irish sides play fantastic football, Cherry Orchard in particular seem to always have a fantastic side.

Actually those sides you mention dude play in the Milk Cup too, most sides probably stay on tour and play both competitions.

Two fantastic competitions anyways, its a shame that the organisers of the Milk Cup seem to be wanting to drift more and more games further south towards Ballymena. It is a triangle area tournament and it should stay that way in my opinion.

Dont get to see the Milk Cup games live due to work, usually watch the highlights on tv, but my work does usually host some of the Foyle Cup matches so do get to see some of these. Hope to see the Aspire Acadamy team this year, they are spending a fortune recruiting players in these arab acadamies so hopefully they have a few interesting players to watch.

Guest Andypendek

Make sure the linesman carefully checks their laces first :ph34r:

It would be great to see the highlights rabbitt, I hope you can get them up.

Guest therabbitt
Make sure the linesman carefully checks their laces first :ph34r:

It would be great to see the highlights rabbitt, I hope you can get them up.

Will try my best matey - if they aren't to be broadcast on BBC iPlayer then I'll record them.

Just give me a nudge closer to the time in case I forget!

• 5 months later...
Ok well here's my first couple of players.

Stefan Maierhofer (25) Was once on Bayern Munich's books, but never made a proper breakthrough even though he scored a hat full of goals for their reservers. After a few years playing in second divison in German he's back in Austrua with Rapid Vienna and he's hit the goals since he went there. Giant of a striker. Stands at 6'8 but is anything but a lumbering target man. Has very good technique and movement, aswell as a decent amount of pace too.

Hugo Rodallega (22) currently plays for Nexaca in Mexico & is a full international for Colombia. Another player who posses good pace & mobility. Normally I would be reluctant to suggest a player who is this unknown. But who had heard of Palacios a year ago?

Having hit 19 goals this season Maierhofer currently sits fifth in the table for the Golden Boot and Rodallega's club Nexaca, claim that they have started negotiations with Wigan over a move.

This is actually something I've pondered on in a serious way in the past.

Why shouldn't the club use such assets on foreign shores? We have supporters everywhere in the world and - depending on certain criterion - they could be utilised to provide information on a range of issues (not just players either).

Wouldn't be easy to administrate but neither would it be an expensive exercise.

The talent in the school systems here in NA is unreal as well. Would be worth it to get some eyes on the prize here.

There are few players that i can post about here.

I`ll start with Nikolay Dimitrov - 21 years old left/right winger,sometimes used as central midfielder.He`s playing for Levski Sofia in the Bulgarian Premier League.Very good dribbling and technique,was on trial in Arsenal for about mount in January.Wenger said he`s impressed with Nikolay but deal failed as he has only one match for Bulgarian NT (friendly against North Ireland).This summer he was linked with move to Osasuna aswell.People here define him as one of the best young players in the country.Imo he`s very similar to Aaron.

Guest Andypendek
There are few players that i can post about here.

I`ll start with Nikolay Dimitrov - 21 years old left/right winger,sometimes used as central midfielder.He`s playing for Levski Sofia in the Bulgarian Premier League.Very good dribbling and technique,was on trial in Arsenal for about mount in January.Wenger said he`s impressed with Nikolay but deal failed as he has only one match for Bulgarian NT (friendly against North Ireland).This summer he was linked with move to Osasuna aswell.People here define him as one of the best young players in the country.Imo he`s very similar to Aaron.

Looks good, but he wouldn't get any time or space in Scotland.

Forgot all about this tbh.

<nips off to check Sparta website and pick first name he sees>

Without meaning to sound like a twat, big Jiri Kladrubsky is a defender i really rate. Even though they lost 3-0 against Arsenal, he was a stand out. He's made his Czech Republic debut recently as well.

Guest Andypendek
Admires former New York defender Eddie Pope

He might want to keep quiet about that one...

No harm in asking if he wants to come over during MLS off season for some training, take a look-see and so on. Be company for Mo and DMB, and you have to say, Marvell Wynne is a fabulous name for a superhero.