Lennon Penalty Claim

craigbrown69

Lennon reflects on penalty claim

Celtic captain Neil Lennon said he was disappointed his side were denied a penalty in Sunday's Old Firm clash.

Lennon appeared to be felled in the box by Rangers left back Stevie Smith just before half-time, but referee Kenny Clark awarded a goal kick.

"Maybe it was because it was me, I don't know. Maybe he feared starting a riot or something like that," said Lennon after the 1-1 draw.

"But everyone saw it, it was a stonewaller."

The Celtic skipper said he felt the decision was a turning point in the game, as his side had taken the lead moments earlier through Thomas Gravesen's strike.

If we had been awarded the penalty and scored then we would have gone in 2-0 up at half-time

Neil Lennon

"If we had been awarded the penalty and scored then we would have gone in 2-0 up at half-time," Lennon added.

"It might have been a big turning point in the game, I don't know.

"After that we had a couple of good chances and we could have put the game out of sight but you've got to give Rangers credit, they came back at us in the second half."

Rangers captain Barry Ferguson apologised to his team-mates after he spurned a glorious chance to put the home side in front after 17 minutes.

The midfielder shot over the bar with only Artur Boruc to beat after beating Celtic's offside trap.

The Scotland midfielder told the Scottish Sun: "I got a great touch to control the ball on my chest but then I took the shot too high.

"I know that I should have let the ball drop a little, I know I should have scored and I am so disappointed.

"I hold my hands up to it because it was a bad miss and I can't hide from that.

"I said sorry to the boys at half-time but you have to pick yourself up and get on with it when that happens to you and that's what I did."

Rangers equalised through Brahim Hemdani's deflected strike with two minutes remaining.

And Craig says "Shut it moron, we get claims disallowed as well. But we dont moan to the press about it." :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (beer1)

Lennon reflects on penalty claim

Celtic captain Neil Lennon said he was disappointed his side were denied a penalty in Sunday's Old Firm clash.

Lennon appeared to be felled in the box by Rangers left back Stevie Smith just before half-time, but referee Kenny Clark awarded a goal kick.

"Maybe it was because it was me, I don't know. Maybe he feared starting a riot or something like that," said Lennon after the 1-1 draw.

"But everyone saw it, it was a stonewaller."

The Celtic skipper said he felt the decision was a turning point in the game, as his side had taken the lead moments earlier through Thomas Gravesen's strike.

If we had been awarded the penalty and scored then we would have gone in 2-0 up at half-time

Neil Lennon

"If we had been awarded the penalty and scored then we would have gone in 2-0 up at half-time," Lennon added.

"It might have been a big turning point in the game, I don't know.

"After that we had a couple of good chances and we could have put the game out of sight but you've got to give Rangers credit, they came back at us in the second half."

Rangers captain Barry Ferguson apologised to his team-mates after he spurned a glorious chance to put the home side in front after 17 minutes.

The midfielder shot over the bar with only Artur Boruc to beat after beating Celtic's offside trap.

The Scotland midfielder told the Scottish Sun: "I got a great touch to control the ball on my chest but then I took the shot too high.

"I know that I should have let the ball drop a little, I know I should have scored and I am so disappointed.

"I hold my hands up to it because it was a bad miss and I can't hide from that.

"I said sorry to the boys at half-time but you have to pick yourself up and get on with it when that happens to you and that's what I did."

Rangers equalised through Brahim Hemdani's deflected strike with two minutes remaining.

And Craig says "Shut it moron, we get claims disallowed as well. But we dont moan to the press about it." :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (beer1)

the only other chance celtic had was aidendinhos shot in the 2nd half which macgregor saved from it would been total different game if ferguson had scored cos if he did we could of and should of beat them 4,5-1

SB - I like that!

IMO it was a penalty and Super Ally agrees, BUT having said that there have been numerous times this season we have been denied one too. We dont go moaning to the press about it either. So just pipe down Lennon. As usual you have got far too much to say.

Question: For someone who says Glasgow is a fish bowl and he just has to keep his head down he sure as heck does an AWFUL lot of Blabbering in the press. Especially the DR.

:rolleyes:

fair play, he's obviously been asked and he's given a light hearted response.

hardly whinging.

Right enough. It was a blatant penalty. Rather than Lennon moaning to the press, its more likely a journalist asked him about it and he gave an honest response.

I dont like the guy but in this case (as in most others) its the media blowing things out of all proportion.

lennon is famous for being like a spoilt kid when things dont go his way.

"they laid down to them"

does that ring any bells?

Wasn't that Mr Sutton?

Yes it was.

I'm not a fan of lennon either but i dont particularly see anything wrong with what he said.

I would suggest it was a smear on the mentality of Rangers fans by suggesting if he of all players had received a penalty at Ibrox, the fans would have turned into behaving like the tims back in '99. During the coin-throwing disgrace at Parkhead. I guess.

What about the penalty for Rangers that was denied by 'an offside decision'. Anyway I

thought you had to have control of the ball and be denied a good goal scoring opportunity to be awarded a penalty. Not just to fall over under a (yes a rather rash) tackle. Any referees on to confirm? ;):rolleyes:

What about the penalty for Rangers that was denied by 'an offside decision'. Anyway I

thought you had to have control of the ball and be denied a good goal scoring opportunity to be awarded a penalty. Not just to fall over under a (yes a rather rash) tackle. Any referees on to confirm? ;):rolleyes:

Think thats for a red card. (tu)

Just saw the replay of the penalty claim on Scotsport. Both of Lennon's feet were off the ground when contact was made and he made the most of it. Never a penalty.

Disagree mate - he suckered Smithy into a late tackle, that for me was a stone-waller.

I know how upset i wouldve been had that been us...and not given

Hey Lennon, what happened to the two red cards your team should of recieved?

Exactly, shut it you kn*b! (bum)

What?s even closer to home do you remember after Lennon's shame game last season Dougal said he spent most of the second half trying to keep him on the park, so far from being against him the officials have put on the record that they show him an unusual degree of leniency! Lennon like so many tims doesn't appreciate any help given to him and invariably turns nasty as soon as the least little setback is encountered.

Just saw the replay of the penalty claim on Scotsport. Both of Lennon's feet were off the ground when contact was made and he made the most of it. Never a penalty.

Disagree mate - he suckered Smithy into a late tackle, that for me was a stone-waller.

I know how upset i wouldve been had that been us...and not given

yeah must agree there a would of felt the same way they will feel robbed they never got it but the they know they were lucky to escape with a point because we battered from them start to finish. A hope Lennon gets fined like any manager does when they complain bout refereeing decisions but at the end of the day if the refs shit themself from sendin him off then the last thing SFA will do is ban him