Do Scottish Referees have a bias towards either half of the Old Firm?

papaguy51

About time this was updated :craphead:

Celtic:

Hearts v Celtic - Caldwell scores goal after keeping the ball in play illegally with his hand. Nothing is given. Celtic are awarded a penalty in the same match even though contact is clearly outside the area. Hartley misses the penalty but it was a terrible decision nonetheless.

Hamilton v Celtic - Sheridan wins a penalty even though contact is clearly outside the box. Nakamura equalises before Paul Hartley scores in the last 5 minutes to win Celtic the match.

Celtic (+2 points) I don't think the decisions in the Hearts game would have made a difference so I'll count two points for the Hamilton game.

Rangers:

Hamilton v Rangers - Boyd scores offside goal to put Rangers 2-1 up. It should not have been given but it was and we go onto win the game 3-1.

Motherwell v Rangers - Linesman Tom Murphy flags Boyd offside when he was through on goal although replays show he was level. Poor decision yet again and Rangers drop 2 points.

Rangers (-2 points) I think we would have went on to win the Hamilton game anyway but the linesman in the M'well game costs us.

A difference of 4 points I make it. Is that fair or biased ?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the mass feeling on here that Rangers are constantly shat on by referees decisions going Celtic's way during games, it's time to check out this argument once and for all.

It's time to be impartial. There's absolutley no point in this if we're going to look at it with blue-tinted glasses on, so sense and balance is called for from everyone. If you feel unable to do that, don't post in the thread.

Let's see if there really IS a bias in the refereeing.

SPL Table

Teams.....P.....W.....D.....L.....Pts

Rangers...5......4.....1.......0.....13

Celtic.......5......4.....1.......1......10

Experimental Table

Teams.....P.....W.....D.....L.....Pts

Rangers...5......5.....0.......0......15

Celtic.......5......3.....2.......0......11

Referee Mistakes List

Eddie Smith = 1 (+Celtic) -- Wrongly given penalty/red card v. St. Mirren

Charlie Richmond = 1 (+Celtic) -- Denies Dundee Utd a blatant penalty (Foul).

Stuart Dougal = 1 (+Rangers) -- Questionable decision over a handball. Unintentional by Bougherra, but they have been given.

Billy Baxter (Linesman) = 1 (-Rangers) -- Goal wrongly denied for offside.

Ian Brines = 1 (+Celtic) -- McManus handballs into the net, goal stands.

Disclaimer

I have no certain opinion as yet, this is solely an experiment to see if there is this proposed bias within Scottish officiating.

We'll keep a tab on everything, update it weekly and let you make your own mind up.

Everything will be done fairly, I guarantee it.

already made my mind up They defo have a biassed towards Rangers I don't know any bad decisions a ref has giving against Celtic This season anyway