Another title incentive

Andygers

As we all know there are the obvious reasons why winning the title but I would like to discuss one that has come to light today. Europe.

UEFA today announced their plan for the Champions League seasons 2009-12 it is as follows:

_45282571_champs_league_466_v3.gif

I will explain just for those who don't understand why we have to finish first in terms of Europe.

If we finish first thats us in, its all fine but if we finish second these are the implications:

We would start in Round 3 of qualifying as we are in the 10th place league. This means we have to play the 2nd place team from countries 7-15, which includes Galatasaray, Ajax and Benfica, or the third place Russian team which is Dynamo Moscow. If we then get through that then we are in the last qualifying play off which means we take on either a 4th place team in England, Spain and Italy or a 3rd place team in France or Germany, which could include teams like Arsenal, Villarreal, Bremen, Bordeaux ect.

This is why we HAVE to win the league.

Honestly, if we can't beat two lesser teams in qualifiers then we don't deserve to be in the Champions League.

It does come in handy being in pot 2, however.

thats not how it works from next season john if we finish 2nd we must play team from england italy spain or germany thats why its important to win the title

Honestly, if we can't beat two lesser teams in qualifiers then we don't deserve to be in the Champions League.

thats not how it works from next season john if we finish 2nd we must play team from england italy spain or germany thats why its important to win the title

I must admit, I didn't read the whole post. I tend to switch off.

We should expect to beat those teams, but sometimes some really tough teams are involved. This year we could have met the likes of Atletico Madrid, Dinamo Kiev, or a host of other deceptively tough clubs. Even if Sellick lose tomorrow, will Scotland really take that big of a tumble due to one bad year? The last few years have seen SPL teams make big strides in both the Champions League and the UEFA Cup (does this enter into the rankings?)

Its not going to be two lesser teams though.

We are not going to get teams like Kaunas anymore, its going to be teams like Shakthar, Benfica and Galatasaray. Thats only the first round then we have to play the likes of Arsenal, Schalke, Ac Milan, Villarreal or Bordeaux.

To be honest I think we would more than likely fall at the first hurdle.

We should expect to beat those teams, but sometimes some really tough teams are involved. This year we could have met the likes of Atletico Madrid, Dinamo Kiev, or a host of other deceptively tough clubs. Even if Sellick lose tomorrow, will Scotland really take that big of a tumble due to one bad year? The last few years have seen SPL teams make big strides in both the Champions League and the UEFA Cup (does this enter into the rankings?)

This year will not be included until 2013. So we don't really have to worry, we are the tenth best nation so if we win the league we get automatic qualification.

I see no reason why we cannot go on to win this title. Unless Walter messes it all up.

I see no reason why we cannot go on to win this title. Unless Walter messes it all up.

hahaha :craphead: