Kenwyne Jones

Carsons Dog

McLeish on signing mission

Alex McLeish will take a closer look at Kenwyne Jones

Rangers boss Alex McLeish has vowed to get it right in the transfer market to make Rangers once more the dominant force in Scottish football.

Having been criticised for signing failures Emerson, Nuno Capucho and Egil Ostenstad, he has spent five days on a scouting mission in Europe.

"It might cost a few bob on air flights and hotel rooms," he said.

"But I think it's worth it if you get the right player in rather than signing someone on reputation alone."

Levi Hanssen, a 16-year-old with Faroe Islands side B36, is poised to arrive at Ibrox for a trial, while Trinidad and Tobago 19-year-old Kenwyne Jones is already impressing in training.

But McLeish knows that Rangers' support demands more than just long-term investments and will not accept another season without a trophy.

Kenwyne has not signed, but I am going to try to get him into the top-team squad

Rangers boss Alex McLeish

He has already turned his attention to next term and said: "Dick Advocaat built a new team from scratch here and Martin O'Neill did likewise at Celtic," said McLeish.

"I know there was different money available in these cases, but that is the way I'm thinking in terms of new acquisitions."

"I watched three games in Europe in five days and saw some very good players, but I don't think I'll be able to buy Zidane!

"It was good to be out and about watching these players ahead of any decision we might make.

"We have players like Jean-Alain Boumsong coming to the club, so I am confident things will be better then."

Meanwhile, Jones, said to be a target for West Ham United, has already shown that he is a step ahead of the Rangers youths with whom he has been training.

"Kenwyne has not signed, but I am going to try to get him into the top-team squad over the next few days and take a closer look at him," McLeish told his club's website.

"The youth coaching staff have been very impressed with him and, by all accounts, there is a lot of interest in him."

Jones, who has been playing with W Connection, was recommended to Rangers by Sir Alex Ferguson, who had the player on trial in 2002.

He made his debut for Trinidad and Tobago in January 2003 against Finland and can play in attack as well as defence.

Should Rangers sign him, they may be forced to send the player out on loan until they can gain a work permit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/3624225.stm

We wanted to sign him but he chose Southampton in the end.

McLeish brought him over on trial and initially made him train with the youngsters. After noticing how he was streets ahead of the rest of the youths after a day or so, he promoted him to the first team. I think in the end it was up to him to choose between Rangers, West Ham, Panathinaikos and Southampton.

Who knows what could have been? The lad's transition from centre half to striker may not have happened if he signed for another club.

This bloke was at Murray Park so we could have a look at him, the coaches at the time were keen on him but Martin Bain didnt rate him and he went on his way.

WTF does Martin Bain know about peoples ability?

What a lot of shite (tu)

Well if its shite its shite which came from someone employed within Murray Park at the time.

I'll let him know its shite in the morning.

This bloke was at Murray Park so we could have a look at him, the coaches at the time were keen on him but Martin Bain didnt rate him and he went on his way.

What a lot of shite (tu)

Well if its shite its shite which came from someone employed within Murray Park at the time.

You can do.

Martin Bain has absolutely no responsibility or duty of care when it comes to player talent. None whatsoever. Zilcho. And i can assure you 100% on that.

He does however have guidelines and finances to work to and with, though the manager ultimately can go above Bains head to SDM if they really want a player and need to pay more.

If the deal fell through due to a part Bain played in it, then it would have been down to the wages required to pay the player and not because Martin Bain didnt rate him for goodness sake.

I know people look for the smallest excuses to throw shite at Bain and im not standing up for him or judging him, but at least make the accusations factual instead of garbage rumours. (tu)

What a lot of shite (tu)

You can do.

Martin Bain has absolutely no responsibility or duty of care when it comes to player talent. None whatsoever. Zilcho. And i can assure you 100% on that.

He does however have guidelines and finances to work to and with, though the manager ultimately can go above Bains head to SDM if they really want a player and need to pay more.

If the deal fell through due to a part Bain played in it, then it would have been down to the wages required to pay the player and not because Martin Bain didnt rate him for goodness sake.

I know people look for the smallest excuses to throw shite at Bain and im not standing up for him or judging him, but at least make the accusations factual instead of garbage rumours. (tu)

I can only report what I was told.

What a lot of shite (tu)

You can do.

I appreciate that mate, but was there not a small part of you that thought wtf ?

How many stories do you hear that end up being pish and seriously think about it. Can you seriously see a football manager who has a European Winners medal, played in a couple of World Cups and won loads in his career standing by and allowing an ex catalogue model say he doesnt rate a player and therefore he cant buy him.

:craphead:

What a lot of shite (tu)

You can do.

I appreciate that mate, but was there not a small part of you that thought wtf ?

How many stories do you hear that end up being pish and seriously think about it. Can you seriously see a football manager who has a European Winners medal, played in a couple of World Cups and won loads in his career standing by and allowing an ex catalogue model say he doesnt rate a player and therefore he cant buy him.

Well it is Rangers :craphead:

27-Apr-2004 - Kenwyne Jones chose Southampton over a string of other clubs because he already feels at home here. The versatile 19-year-old turned down approaches from Rangers, Spurs and West Ham United to sign for Saints from Trinidad club W Connection.

The club rushed the deal through on Saturday night, persuading the youngster to sign a pre-contract agreement following an impressive week’s trial.

Jones has already had a spell with Glasgow Rangers and West Ham United but revealed that Southampton held a special sway.

"It was not necessarily the best financial offer but the one which instinctively felt right. I had trials with Rangers and West Ham before I came here. They both wanted me but this felt like home. I feel comfortable here. It is a good club with a nice bunch of players, a good manager and coaching staff. I think they have very good players and that was a big factor in my decision. The club is very well run, with good facilities and everyone has made me very welcome. And it is a nice place to live – not too busy, not too quiet. It is a very mellow place with beautiful coastline – it is just right ! My girlfriend and son have come over with me and they are delighted with the idea of living here.”

Jones will come in initially on a two-year student visa which permits him to work as he is from a Commonwealth country. And he is already looking forward to the challenge of establishing himself in a league he has long admired.

What a lot of shite (tu)

You can do.

:clap: