The Moses McNeil trophy

minstral

As my signature also shows, the star on the oars of the 'CLYDE AMATEUR ROWING CLUB' is definitely the same as the ones on the 1876 team top.

An email from John Gildea at the Clyde ARC said:

Hi

A chap fro the daily record, who has been writing a book has been investigating this point the last two year. We were founded in 1865 and we have an early turn of the century photo which shows the rowing team in white tops and blue star. I think the number of points even matches the number in the rangers photos.

Clydesdale have never had a pointed star. Clyde would have been their fierce rivals from the get-go so they wouldnt be in similar kit. A bit like the old firm but with no religion!!!

The guy doing research found a sports newspaper of the times that specifically says the rangers players who started it came from Clyde rowing club. It wasmt just a rowing club on the clyde but "Clyde rowing club." He also looked at clydesdales committee minutes for the times and no mention is made anywhere in those books of any of the rangers names.

His conclusion was that it was Clyde not clydesdale which started it.

There would have been no religious influence, I think!!!! just guys messing about in boats. Some of the old photos show thousands packing the river bank at glasgow green to watch races. I guess pre-football, rugby etc, things must have been pretty boring for that to be the most exciting thing going.

I hope that helps

John

So strangley, the CLYDESDALE Rowing Club's history also claims to have the members in their minutes (as seen in the email from them above - top of this page) but as said above, the rowing clubs were rivals at the time, and still are, holding yearly Regatta's between them.

Clyde Amateur Rowing Club v Clydesdale Rowing Club

The former having our 1876 team star on its oars and gear, and the latter not, but claiming to have our members in its past.

Pictures from Clyde ARC, notice the star on the oars, and the star on this kit below.

sabc_regatta_138.jpg

cdalesemple2008_013.jpg

1877teamphotoincolour-1.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pic M - wonder what that badge is ?

Was there not a thread about the badge before D'Art?

Something about a rowing club sticks in my mind but I could be wrong?

There was no definitive answer. The rowing club suggestion seemed the most plausible.

Like a lot of teams at the team we were established as a sporting club, not just football. Many other clubs the world over still subscribe to that ethos, Barcelona being probably one of the most prominant.

David Mason emailed me earlier today:

Hi Alex

I am pretty sure it was Clyde Amateur rowing club - I have an article from around the early years making reference to that, so we can just about eliminate Clydesdale.

Moses did get the name from Alcocks book, as you say, and I have a copy. The indication is that the club's name came from a 'Rangers' in Swindon..

I am still writing the book and waiting for confirmation from my publisher that they will go with it. That apart, it has been interesting delving into these early years. I am sure you will have a great time around the Gareloch and sensing the nostalgia of the area.

All the best,

David

Good enough i'd say.

Clyde it was ;):P

Posted by the Buur in another thread :)

http://www.theherald.co.uk/mostpopular.var...otball_club.php

Clydesdale Amateur Rowing Club celebrate their 150th anniversary today by staging the biggest one-day regatta of recent years on the Clyde at Glasgow Green, including, for the first time, the annual Glasgow v Edinburgh University match.

Over their 150 years, Clydesdale have been the catalysts for many activities and achievements, not least the birth of Rangers Football Club and the establishment of the world-famous Rogano restaurant, as well as the winning of rowing world titles and Olympic medals.

The club were founded as the Clydesdale Gentlemen Amateur Rowing Club in 1857 "in a small meeting, convened in Steele's Coffee Room" by James Henry Roger, a Glasgow businessman who owned the Bodega wine shop in Exchange Place. Eventually a new name for the Bodega was coined by Roger and his silent business partner, a Mr Anderson, by using the first three letters of Roger and "another", hence the Rogano, which, in 1935, was upgraded from what was essentially a gentlemen's drinking club to the style that has made it unique and famous.

The Rogano Cup remains one of the club's major trophies, while James Roger stroked the Clydesdale crew that won Scotland's first eight-oared race, on the Gareloch in 1869.

In 1872, the nucleus of what was to become Rangers FC played their first match on Flesher's Haugh in Glasgow Green, with the Clydesdale minute book complaining bitterly of the amount of football being played by members, to the detriment of their rowing. Rangers formally came into being in 1873, but the mystery remains of their earliest team photographs showing the footballers wearing strips that feature the six-pointed star that was, and is, the emblem of neighbours and rivals Clyde Amateur Rowing Club, which itself was formed in 1865 as a breakaway from Clydesdale.

In 1905, Clydesdale moved from a site on the south of the river opposite Glasgow Green into the then new west boathouse situated at the weir, where they (and Clyde) are based to this day.

However, the Glasgow Green Boathouse Trust, chaired by Clydesdale member Duncan Paterson, is working hard to develop a 21st century home for the club and the sport in Glasgow, so one way or another, Clydesdale are looking forward to a new home in future years.

Over the years, Clydesdale members have won on both the domestic and international stage. World champions Gillian Lindsay and Katherine Grainger were both introduced to rowing at Clydesdale, and they won Olympic silver together in a dramatic women's quadruple sculls final at the Sydney Olympics. Grainger, who is Britain's most successful oarswomen, with three world title and two Olympic silvers in her collection, is better-known as a member of Edinburgh club St Andrew, and only took the sport up seriously at Edinburgh University. But earlier, she had her first attempt at rowing thanks to the persuasion of her neighbour and Clydesdale stalwart, Gordon Simpson.

In an exceptional example of the longevity of Clydesdale's club members, three of them - Paterson, Simpson and their crew-mate Owen McGhee - will be racing together in today's 150th anniversary event, just as they did 50 years ago at the club's Centenary Regatta. They will be among the 166 crews from most of Scotland's clubs taking part in the open regatta, in a packed all-day programme of 140 individual races.

Interspersed among these events will be the six races in the Glasgow/Edinburgh University match, with their first men's and women's eights going off just after three o'clock.