***AS Roma v AC Milan thread***

bluenose_72

On-loan AC Milan midfielder David Beckham has made his competitive Serie A debut for the club against Roma.

Beckham played 89 minutes in the Olympic Stadium before he was replaced by Mathieu Flamini as Milan draw 2-2.

The England international had been expected to start on the bench, but Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti played him on the right of a three-man midfield.

Beckham had not played a competitive game since the end of the MLS season with Los Angeles Galaxy in October.

He said: "I found out I was going to start before thegame during the team meeting.

"I was very happy that the manager kept me on for as long as he did because it is important for me to get match fitness and, to be honest, I felt better than I thought I would feel.

"Now I just hope to start some more games, but I will take one step at a time."

Ancelotti said: "I decided to start with Beckham because he had demonstrated over the last few days that he was intelligent, serious and committed.

"This was his reward for settling in so quickly. I will never tire of pointing out that he is an exemplary professional who works hard."

Mirko Vucinic put Roma ahead midway through the first half with his third goal in three games against Milan when he blasted home.

Just after the interval Alexandre Pato equalised when he tapped in Kaka's cross and the 19-year-old Brazilian striker soon clipped in a superb second.

Montenegro striker Vucinic again netted with a diving header on 72 minutes to secure Roma a point.

Beckham's stint with the Italian club ends in March, when the Major League Soccer season resumes, but it has been suggested that he may be tempted to extend his stay at Milan if his spell goes well.

One of the reasons Beckham moved to Italy was to help him maintain his fitness as he seeks to prolong his international career.

England next play in a friendly against Spain on 11 February.

If selected, Beckham would equal Bobby Moore's outfield record of 108 caps.