***PreMatch Analysis***

nvager

Aberdeen vs Rangers at Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen, Saturday January 24, 2009. Kick-Off 12:30 PM

Encouraging signs at last. Celtic's lead at the top of the table is now only 2 points. They have 51 points from 22 games and we have 49 points from the same number of games. We lead in goal difference with +33 to their +25. This makes happy reading after trailing by 7 points after the Old Firm game at Ibrox.

Danger lurks in the form of an Aberdeen team unbeaten in their last six games at home and brimming with confidence after defeating Celtic by 4 - 2 on Sunday. We always have a hard time at Pittodrie and a linesman's poor decision prevented us from returning home victorious the last time. This time too much is at stake. We lost at Aberdeen on the last game of last season too. Revenge is a must. We cannot afford anything but a WIN Saturday. We must pile the pressure on this Celtic team before they play Hibernian later on Saturday.

Now one reason for the recent fan encouragement is the fact that both Naismith and Fleck made debuts in the last two games. Naismith vs St. Johnstone and Fleck vs Falkirk. These young players added pace, trickery and width to the team that has been lacking. The question is will Walter trust either one of them vs Aberdeen. Will he revert to type and play Adam or McCulloch at Pittodrie?

Furthermore it is likely we may have to do without Papac at left back after he was red carded vs Falkirk. That should mean Whittaker coming in at right or left back. Frankly speaking I really do not have a great deal of confidence in our defence at present and believe we will concede at least one goal on Saturday. One reason for this is we have no real defensive midfielder to play in front of the defence. Ferguson does not seem to have the strength to cope at present and I think slows down the whole team. We need to up the tempo big time from the very start of this game and get our noses in front as soon as possible. We need to put them on the back foot early with goals. That will raise our confidence and we can go on and win. Talking about goals, K Miller is just not scoring any just now and his first touch is poor. He looks like he needs a rest. Will Walter drop him and play Naismith or Novo up front?

So in essence we have questions about the full back positions and left midfield and a lot of fans also hoping that Ferguson and/or Miller are replaced too. What will Walter do?

Another joker in the pack is - what if big Eck increases the terms of his offer to Boyd or a bid is tabled for another marketable player between now and Saturday? That may also impact the team. Unlikely? Not really as the transfer window closes in 11 days. Put your thinking hats on. If you were an EPL or Championship team who would you bid for in our team? I would say McGregor or Boyd. (Thomson if fit or Naismith if FULLY fit.) Davis, Bougherra and Mendes have just arrived so are unlikely to leave. The other target that sticks out is Fleck. This really worries me. I CAN see MU or Arsenal being interested and they KNOW we are desperate for money.

So in conclusion what will Walter do? Will he drop Barry - I do not think so. Miller? Its a possibility. Left mid? I really do NOT know, but I sense he will play McCulloch.

Walter's team I believe will be McGregor, Broadfoot, Bougherra, Weir, Whittaker, Davis, Mendes, Ferguson, McCulloch/Adam, Miller and Boyd

I would like to see Fleck replacing McCulloch and Naismith or Novo replacing Miller, but I think Walter will go for experience on Saturday.

The score - it depends on attitude and selection. If we go with the team I think Walter will play as outlined above I believe we will lose as it lacks pace and width. If he sticks with Fleck or Naismith at left mid and plays either Novo or Naismith up front with Boyd then I believe we will win.

I would go further and drop Barry and bring in Edu or Aaron, but that is never going to happen.

Score? - as I say it very much depends on the team selection. One with width and pace and goals and we win. Play McCulloch/Adam and Miller and Ferguson and I think we struggle.

Walter will have at least one big decision to make. Let's hope his recent youth trend continues. It has not let him down yet. If he does then we will win by two goals. Aberdeen 1 - 3 Rangers. Boyd 2 Naismith 1.

Walter may give Beasley a game as he "scored" here earlier this season.

Good Analysis. (tu)

I hope he doesnt opt for McCulloch/Adam in LM, and I really dont see him dropping Miller even though hes been off the boil the last few games. :(

Im also a bit worried about Whittaker coming in, hes just so inconsistent. His last few games at RB have been dreadful.

I hope wee Fleck keeps his place, surely it would be illogical to drop the MOTM in the previous game to the bench.

I think itll be close but we will win 2-1. :21:

I would rather Fleck starts than be thrown on in desperation at 83 minutes, because that won't do the lad any good.

Mr Rangers needs to up his workrate and track his runner/s, he needs to follow instructions rather than drifting aimlessly about. Should sit in front of the back four and if he won't, drop him and stick Edu in there (baptism of fire and all that).

Davis needs a kick up the arse in the work rate and positioning areas also.

Miller is poor and surely Naismith/Novo should be ahead of him for a starting berth.

Whittaker at LB isn't really a worry for me because I think he actually plays better there than his alleged proper position.

Walter we need a team to win, not full of your buddies.

I would rather Fleck starts than be thrown on in desperation at 83 minutes, because that won't do the lad any good.

Mr Rangers needs to up his workrate and track his runner/s, he needs to follow instructions rather than drifting aimlessly about. Should sit in front of the back four and if he won't, drop him and stick Edu in there (baptism of fire and all that).

Davis needs a kick up the arse in the work rate and positioning areas also.

Miller is poor and surely Naismith/Novo should be ahead of him for a starting berth.

Whittaker at LB isn't really a worry for me because I think he actually plays better there than his alleged proper position.

Walter we need a team to win, not full of your buddies.

I agree with all that.