That was painful to watch

simplythebest

I told myself there couldn't be anymore incentive for us to win today, gap cut down from 7 to 2 in two rounds of games and having the chance to go top for at least a few hours, what more incentive could they ask for? I was waiting for Smith and the players to prove they have the guts and ability to win this title, yet again they showed they've got neither.

Smith's tactics were shocking, i thought we'd seen the end of this 4-5-1 pish. Its been discussed on here that 4-5-1 can be very good if its changed into a 4-3-3 but that is not how our manager views the formation, to him it is anti-football and while it fluked us to a European final it was clear last season that it didn't work in the SPL. The formation should have been changed when it was clear it wasn't working, it may have been good enough to earn a point but is only drawing at Pittodrie and going 4 points behind Celtic suddenly good enough? I nearly threw the remote through the screen when i saw Boyd was coming for Miller, i'd at least thought he'd bring off a midfielder and go two up front but instead he puts Boyd in a role hes pish at, not that he did any worse than Miller mind you, nobody could have been worse than him today. Staying with 1 up front for the whole game was possibly even more baffling than him actually starting like that, did he not want to win this match?

Must be living on a different planet from me if he thinks we 'played well', we played little or no football for 80 minutes of the match, a long range effort from McCulloch being our only real chance. Coming onto a game in the last 10 minutes is NOT good enough, its far too late and gives you little or no time to keep the pressure up. Its a disgrace that it takes so long for this team to get going and the manager must take a lot of the responsibility, it can only be his tactics our there and hes brought the majority of these players to the club.

Today was always going to be a big indicator of our chances of winning the league so again i just can't see it.

It was very like some of the European games last season: didn't look likely to concede, had a decent amount of possession, but looked completely toothless going forward and essentially destroyed the game as a spectacle with our tactics (though the opposition didn't help today as they were pretty negative as well given they scored four last week). Perhaps this is called for given our awful record at Pittodrie - if you think about it, a point here is a point gained over what Celtic got at Pittodrie - but we can't show Dundee United the same level of respect now and need to go out and get all 3 points.