Complaint to BBC

Kazzman

Raging about the commentary yesterday - "New" Rangers my arse! I encourage everyone to compain or this will continue.

My email:

When listening to the Brechin /Rangers match yesterday, the commentator Rob McLean continually referred to Rangers as "New Rangers". This is inaccurate and in light of the recent developments that have affected all of Scottish football, this is an offensive reference.

Rangers, the football club, is now owned by a new company. This is an undisputed fact. However, it is very disappointing that the national broadcaster continues to perpetuate the myth that the club itself is a new entity.There are many example of clubs that have changed the company that owns the club. "New" does not exist in the name of the club or the company that owns the club. Why the continual reference throughout the commentary? The pundit did not follow the example of the commentator so why did Mr McLean?

There has been a recent history of compaints about bias in the BBC against Rangers. It was my impression that the BBC agreed to address those issues, especially in light of a formal apology issued by your organistation over the misrepresentation of the manager Ally McCoist. It is clear that those issues have not been fully addressed. The continual misrepresentation of the club in the opening game of a new season appears to indicate that much work remains.

In your response, please highlight your actions to address these issues. I look forward to receiving your comprehensive response to this compaint and should you wish to discuss further, please contact me directly.

Stay tuned for a full & detailed response. Don't hold your breath though......

The OP makes a very important point but we need to box clever with this one.

Points to be made:

The BBC is a publically funded broadcaster with a commitment to:

"3.1

The BBC is committed to achieving due accuracy. This commitment is fundamental to our reputation and the trust of audiences, which is the foundation of the BBC. It is also a requirement under the Agreement accompanying the BBC Charter.

The term 'due' means that the accuracy must be adequate and appropriate to the output, taking account of the subject and nature of the content, the likely audience expectation and any signposting that may influence that expectation.

Therefore, we do all we can to achieve due accuracy in all our output, though its requirements may vary. The due accuracy required of, for example, drama, entertainment and comedy, will not usually be the same as for factual content. The requirements may even vary within a genre, so the due accuracy required of factual content may differ depending on whether it is, for example, factual entertainment, historical documentary, current affairs or news.

Accuracy is not simply a matter of getting facts right. If an issue is controversial, relevant opinions as well as facts may need to be considered. When necessary, all the relevant facts and information should also be weighed to get at the truth.

Where appropriate to the output, we should:

gather material using first hand sources wherever possible

check and cross check facts

validate the authenticity of documentary evidence and digital material

corroborate claims and allegations made by contributors wherever possible.

In news and current affairs content, achieving due accuracy is more important than speed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/page/guidelines-accuracy-introduction/

The fact they have to be accurate is absolutely key here.

Lord Glennie has stated that the holding company operates the football club

The SFA has stated that a new holding company is operating the football club.

The SFL have acknowledged us as being the original club on their website.

The football club born in 1872 pre-dates the holding company of 1899.

The BBC and its staff have a duty to report the situation accurately and currently they are not doing this when they refer to "new Rangers" or a "new club" or a club "playing its first competitive match".

I'm going to write a letter this week of complaint on the basis that they are being wholly inaccurate and in breach of their charter. I will be attaching Glennie's judgement, the SFA statement and a print out from the SFL website.

They are of course free to say we have a new holding company operating the football club, but they don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

Totally agree troops , was in the car when extra time was being played and in the first half ,rhob must have used newco along with sentences like" brechin started over 107 years ago and The Rangers started a couple of weeks ago ", and Little scoredThe Rangers first ever goal .It was like he had been scripted to say/repeat them .

Good point that their recent reporting goes against their charter. If they do not respond directly, is there a chance to dircet this to OFCOM? They have already apologised for misrepresenting the manager, can we refer them to the OFCOM if they don't change the misrepresentation of the club? Does that need to come from the club?

Raging about the commentary yesterday - "New" Rangers my arse! I encourage everyone to compain or this will continue.

My email:

When listening to the Brechin /Rangers match yesterday, the commentator Rob McLean continually referred to Rangers as "New Rangers". This is inaccurate and in light of the recent developments that have affected all of Scottish football, this is an offensive reference.

Rangers, the football club, is now owned by a new company. This is an undisputed fact. However, it is very disappointing that the national broadcaster continues to perpetuate the myth that the club itself is a new entity.There are many example of clubs that have changed the company that owns the club. "New" does not exist in the name of the club or the company that owns the club. Why the continual reference throughout the commentary? The pundit did not follow the example of the commentator so why did Mr McLean?

There has been a recent history of compaints about bias in the BBC against Rangers. It was my impression that the BBC agreed to address those issues, especially in light of a formal apology issued by your organistation over the misrepresentation of the manager Ally McCoist. It is clear that those issues have not been fully addressed. The continual misrepresentation of the club in the opening game of a new season appears to indicate that much work remains.

In your response, please highlight your actions to address these issues. I look forward to receiving your comprehensive response to this compaint and should you wish to discuss further, please contact me directly.

Stay tuned for a full & detailed response. Don't hold your breath though......

Sent mine off to the BBC also, hope you bears approve?

Hi Dee,

I can't believe the so called journalists (especially Rob McLean on BBC Alba) at BBC Scotland do not know the difference between a football club and company name. Rangers Football Club are and will always be Rangers Football Club. It does not matter a hoot what company owns the football club. Could you tell your journalists (obviously not investigative) to refer to Rangers as just that and not 'newco', 'new' or 'Sevco'.

As a point of interest to your supposed investigative journalists, Celtic Football Club have been owned by three different companies, never here that mentioned on any of your sports stories. Well why would they as the BBC are obviously anti Rangers and this probably comes from the head of BBC Scotland himself.

I think your company needs to take a good look at itself. Scotland is in the title, so lets have opinions and staff who can see two sides to a story and not just one.

rgds

If this bias was againt Septic, their would be a coordinated mass complaint. Every media outlet would be swamped. Look at the referee baiting last season - it was reduced to institutional bigotry any time a decision went against them. This is a new season, we should make our voices heard and ensure we get a fair representation.

Real Radio has just been bought by Dermot Desmond's company. Do you think we'll get a fair hearing there for much longer? Watch out DJ!

The OP makes a very important point but we need to box clever with this one.

Points to be made:

The BBC is a publically funded broadcaster with a commitment to:

"3.1

The BBC is committed to achieving due accuracy. This commitment is fundamental to our reputation and the trust of audiences, which is the foundation of the BBC. It is also a requirement under the Agreement accompanying the BBC Charter.

The term 'due' means that the accuracy must be adequate and appropriate to the output, taking account of the subject and nature of the content, the likely audience expectation and any signposting that may influence that expectation.

Therefore, we do all we can to achieve due accuracy in all our output, though its requirements may vary. The due accuracy required of, for example, drama, entertainment and comedy, will not usually be the same as for factual content. The requirements may even vary within a genre, so the due accuracy required of factual content may differ depending on whether it is, for example, factual entertainment, historical documentary, current affairs or news.

Accuracy is not simply a matter of getting facts right. If an issue is controversial, relevant opinions as well as facts may need to be considered. When necessary, all the relevant facts and information should also be weighed to get at the truth.

Where appropriate to the output, we should:

gather material using first hand sources wherever possible

check and cross check facts

validate the authenticity of documentary evidence and digital material

corroborate claims and allegations made by contributors wherever possible.

In news and current affairs content, achieving due accuracy is more important than speed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/page/guidelines-accuracy-introduction/

The fact they have to be accurate is absolutely key here.

Lord Glennie has stated that the holding company operates the football club

The SFA has stated that a new holding company is operating the football club.

The SFL have acknowledged us as being the original club on their website.

The football club born in 1872 pre-dates the holding company of 1899.

The BBC and its staff have a duty to report the situation accurately and currently they are not doing this when they refer to "new Rangers" or a "new club" or a club "playing its first competitive match".

I'm going to write a letter this week of complaint on the basis that they are being wholly inaccurate and in breach of their charter. I will be attaching Glennie's judgement, the SFA statement and a print out from the SFL website.

They are of course free to say we have a new holding company operating the football club, but they don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

Good effort Mr Sifter this is the example I will be following .

Letter is more official ,and you have done some very good groundwork here.

I urge people to write letters as opposed to email, it is much more official and not as easily dispossed off .

They must, and have to respond to letters.

Oh and tell them not to give out your personal data to any third partys such as fare or cfc. Cants

Oh and another thing these bams cant have us as a new club and expect us to inherit the old clubs debts and sanctions ref sporting Integrity bollocks.

We are not a new club so lets get them told.

I Have just e-mailed complaint to BBC.

i noted that they say these complaints can be read by all BBC staff overnight.

they say most complaints are dealt with in 2 weeks.

and of course i asked for a reply.

however i also noted that where they receive a lot of complaints on the same subject, then a standard reply may be sent to all complainers.

so we will all get the same answer i think.

It was done very deliberately in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if they anticipated the complaints before the commentary even began and have already an "explanation" ready, fabricating some technicality in not being able to refer to us simplay as Rangers.

I was pissed off that Rob Maclean continually referred to us as New Rangers but was fucking furious when he spouted the nonsense about Brechin's 106 year history in comparison to us having only weeks. He obviously knew what he was doing and it would have been okayed in advance, or even suggested by someone higher up the tree. I can't believe how bad BBC Scotland are.