Man City agree Kompany fee

papaguy51

Guest therabbitt

Cracking - SAF been watching this boy since he got his debut for Anderlecht at 17, I'd expect Man City to be a stop off on his way to bigger things

Cracking - SAF been watching this boy since he got his debut for Anderlecht at 17, I'd expect Man City to be a stop off on his way to bigger things

As has Wenger. His career has stagnated a bit over the past few years but i wouldnt be surprised if he wins himself a move to one of the top four clubs in the coming years.

Guest therabbitt

As has Wenger. His career has stagnated a bit over the past few years but i wouldnt be surprised if he wins himself a move to one of the top four clubs in the coming years.

Germany was the wrong choice

Manchester City have agreed a fee to sign Belgium international defender Vincent Kompany from Hamburg, according to the German club.

The 22-year-old defender, who has played 23 times for his country, began his career at Belgian club Anderlecht.

Kompany is regarded as one of the brightest central defenders in European football and if confirmed would be manager Mark Hughes's third signing.

Hughes has already signed striker Jo and defender Tal Ben Haim.

Jo arrived from CSKA Moscow at a cost of £18m, while Ben Haim came from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

Kompany has only recently returned to Hamburg from the Beijing Olympics having been involved in a club-versus-country row.

The defender had been due to play two Olympic group games for his country before flying back to Germany.

He was sent off in the 1-0 defeat to Brazil and was suspended for the next game against China.

Hamburg then threatened the Belgian FA with legal action after Kompany initially refused to fly home.

Belgium eventually lost to Nigeria in 4-1 in the semi-finals who will meet defending Olympic champions Argentina in Saturday's final.

Hughes has struggled in recent weeks to add to his squad due to the off-field uncertainty at the club.

Owner Thaksin Shinawatra is facing corruption charges in his native Thailand and recently fled to Britain.

He has repeatedly denied the allegations, which he says are an attempt to remove him from politics.

City refused to comment on Hamburg's claim that the Premier League club are close to completing the signature of Kompany.

Hamburg president Bernd Hoffmann has claimed the transfer of Kompany hinges only on the player passing a medical at City.

Hoffmann said: "We received an enquiry from Manchester asking whether Vince could imagine moving immediately and, depending on the medical examination, we quickly agreed to this transfer."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/7574920.stm

A potentially brilliant signing, and I am very pleased at this as Man City are quickly turning into one of my favourite teams.

Manchester City have signed Belgium international defender Vincent Kompany from Hamburg for an undisclosed fee.

The 22-year-old defender, who has played 23 times for his country, began his career at Belgian club Anderlecht.

Kompany is regarded as one of the brightest central defenders in European football and has become Mark Hughes's third signing on a four-year deal.

Hughes has already signed striker Jo and defender Tal Ben Haim.

Jo arrived from CSKA Moscow at a cost of £18m, while Ben Haim came from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

Kompany has only recently returned to Hamburg from the Beijing Olympics having been involved in a club-versus-country row.

The defender had been due to play two Olympic group games for his country before flying back to Germany.

He was sent off in the 1-0 defeat to Brazil and was suspended for the next game against China.

Hamburg then threatened the Belgian FA with legal action after Kompany initially refused to fly home.

Belgium eventually lost to Nigeria in 4-1 in the semi-finals who will meet defending Olympic champions Argentina in Saturday's final.

Video - Nigeria 4-1 Belgium

Hughes has struggled in recent weeks to add to his squad due to the off-field uncertainty at the club.

Owner Thaksin Shinawatra is facing corruption charges in his native Thailand and recently fled to Britain.

He has repeatedly denied the allegations, which he says are an attempt to remove him from politics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/7574920.stm

22/08/2008 12:10

Manchester City can confirm the signing of Belgian international defender Vincent Kompany from Bundesliga side Hamburg SV on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 22-year-old already has over 20 caps for his country, as well as appearances at U17, 18 and 21 level and was touted for a move to the Premier League when leaving his first club Anderlecht in 2006 before opting to join Hamburg.

He has recently been with the Belgian side at the Olympic Games and left his country’s side before their semi final defeat against Nigeria to return for the season opening 2-2 draw with Bayern Munich last weekend.

Kompany can, and often has, played as a defensive midfielder for the Bundesliga giants and becomes Mark Hughes’ third signing for the Club.

It is hoped Vincent will receive all the relevant clearance to be able to feature in Sunday's home clash with West Ham United.

Leon Collins

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=1...amp;toyear=2008

HSV ordered him to come home from the Olympics and why? So they can sell him... :rolleyes:

WHOA, that's huge.

Garrido Richards Kompany Corluka

DEATH!

Corluka might still be on his way out though. Wouldn't surprise me if the Spuds would try to sign him again after their horrible start.