Arshavin on Strike

SSN

Tottenham Hotspur target Andriy Arshavin has reportedly gone on strike at Zenit St Petersburg and his agent claims the playmaker is being treated like a 'slave'.

The Russia international impressed at Euro 2008 to spark a summer bidding war for his services, with Barcelona having two offers rejected.

Tottenham are now believed to be in the box-seat to land Arshavin, but the move could be in jeopardy after the 27-year-old refused to play as Zenit crashed out if the Russian Cup on Wednesday.

To Arshavin's frustration, the Uefa Cup holders are refusing to budge from their £27million valuation and White Hart Lane officials are unwilling to meet the price tag.

I'm sure they weren't asking for £27m for him just after the Euros were they? They seem to be asking for more every time he's mentioned in the papers.

Also £27m for a player of his age that seems to have only had one great season (he wasn't really on my radar until the UEFA Cup last season anyway) is a bit much.

He actually reminds me a bit of Poborsky, who had one amazing tournament and then did fuck all.