Surely there's no doubt

Danny

Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer to play the game. Ever.

He's not yet reach 18 majors (albeit 13 ain't bad going on 14) as Nicklaus did, but the guy's genius, to me anyway, is unparalleled.

Woods isn't just the best in the world, he's by far and away it - he is unstoppable and seems barely human such is his astonishing dominance of the game.

He's rubbish.

He's better than you.

Pish, he's never played me.

He has. And he beat you by 3 shots.

I was mourning Phil O'Donnell at the time, game was postponed.

Ouch. Very cutting Mr Core.

I agree Danny he is the best ever, one of those freaks like Jordan or Schumacher that is just a class above the rest. He is still young for a golfer too so no doubt in my mind that he will eclipse Nicklaus.

He is the greatest and he will beat JAck's record, it is just a matter of time. I hope he wins this playoff tonight as well. He deserves it. Who else could come back after that long out and bounce straight into major contention whilst clearly playing through the pain!

He is a role model and an amazing sportsman.

For some reason I just remembered this quote from a few years back "You know the world is going crazy, when the best rapper is white, the best golfer is black, France is accusing the US of arrogance and Germany does not want to go to war." :lol:

For some reason I just remembered this quote from a few years back "You know the world is going crazy, when the best rapper is white, the best golfer is black, France is accusing the US of arrogance and Germany does not want to go to war." :lol:

I am utterly stealing that m8 :lol:

...the tallest guy in the NBA is chinese, the swiss have won the americas cup... :lol:

anyway, although im not a fan of tiger myself ( i dont know why ) i already think he is the greatest ever, even though he is only 2/3 of the way to jacks record. in the 60s and 70s when jack nicklaus dominated, there werent really many people that could win a tournament every week. ben hogan and sam snead were already on the way down, and arnold palmer was heading that way... tom watson and johnny miller didnt really becmoe a threat until nicklaus already had such a huge record. i cant think of too many others from that time who may have had half a chance of facing up to him for most of his peak (20 years). look at byron nelsons old record, a zillion pga tour wins in a row (14 in one year or something?). i dont think the fields were too strong.. so you could say vijay winning 9 a few years ago was a far superior record.

tiger has had els and mickelson his entire life. duval took him to school in 1999 and who promptly remembered it was actually a game and quite irrelevent. tiger came out in 2000 and played probably the best year of golf in history. vijay was unstoppable in 2004 (or 2005?), yet tiger stepped it up again.

also, the guys at the bottom end.. 50-100 in the world, could win more or less any week and it wouldnt be a huge surprise. i think in jacks day, there would be 10 people playing for 1st place, and the rest of the field happy to make a cheque.

He is the greatest and he will beat JAck's record, it is just a matter of time. I hope he wins this playoff tonight as well. He deserves it. Who else could come back after that long out and bounce straight into major contention whilst clearly playing through the pain!

He is a role model and an amazing sportsman.

That sums it up perfectly.

It's like a footballer being out after knee surgery then coming back just to play in the World Cup final. His team are two nil down they bring him on and he scores a hat-trick to win them the cup.

Not only is he the most naturally talented but he is also the most dedicated player on the tour and deserves everything he gets. I had the luxury of seeing him at The Open last summer and the guy is a beast. He even looks into the nutrition and fitness sides of golf. Add all of these things together and it's not hard to see why he's the best. He is not content with being number 1 he wants to get better and better all the time and nobody can keep up with him.

Best ever (tu)

Guest Andypendek

Is it churlish to point out that, on the regular occassions he screws the ball wildly off the tee, he seems to constantly land on a decent lie?

Is it churlish to point out that, on the regular occassions he screws the ball wildly off the tee, he seems to constantly land on a decent lie?

He does at times seem to get a lot of good fortune when he skews the ball off target!!!

...the tallest guy in the NBA is chinese, the swiss have won the americas cup... :lol:

anyway, although im not a fan of tiger myself ( i dont know why ) i already think he is the greatest ever, even though he is only 2/3 of the way to jacks record. in the 60s and 70s when jack nicklaus dominated, there werent really many people that could win a tournament every week. ben hogan and sam snead were already on the way down, and arnold palmer was heading that way... tom watson and johnny miller didnt really becmoe a threat until nicklaus already had such a huge record. i cant think of too many others from that time who may have had half a chance of facing up to him for most of his peak (20 years). look at byron nelsons old record, a zillion pga tour wins in a row (14 in one year or something?). i dont think the fields were too strong.. so you could say vijay winning 9 a few years ago was a far superior record.

tiger has had els and mickelson his entire life. duval took him to school in 1999 and who promptly remembered it was actually a game and quite irrelevent. tiger came out in 2000 and played probably the best year of golf in history. vijay was unstoppable in 2004 (or 2005?), yet tiger stepped it up again.

also, the guys at the bottom end.. 50-100 in the world, could win more or less any week and it wouldnt be a huge surprise. i think in jacks day, there would be 10 people playing for 1st place, and the rest of the field happy to make a cheque.

All very valid points. Tiger is playing in an era where almost anyone in the field has the quality if they play to their full potential to win the golf tournament. This just wasnt the case 30 years ago. Woods has raised the bar in terms of athleticism, dedication and professionalism within the game and will always be remembered as being the greatest ever!!!

Goosen has said Tiger was faking the knee injury :rolleyes:

RETIEF GOOSEN last night accused Tiger Woods of faking injury on his way to victory at Torrey Pines.

Two-time winner Goosen was the last player to take a US Open in a play-off when he beat American Mark Brooks in 2001 at Southern Hills in Oklahoma.

And the South African, who tied for 14th place this time, insists the world No.1's injured knee only seemed to trouble him when he played a bad shot.

Goosen said: "When Tiger went down on his knees and shouted after making those putts his knee didn't seem sore.

"Only when he hit a bad shot did it look painful. If he was really injured he wouldn't have played."

Meanwhile, Woods has denied reports he was set to pull out of the event after the second round.

He said: "The knee has been sore for a while but I was never going to quit.

"Sport isn't kind to the body but there are no excuses - you just go play."

Goosen......shut the fuck up (tu)

Nicklaus has the greater record for Majors performances in a time when other players went at him, Watson, Player, Palmer, and the rest, he finished in the top 3 of a major around 50 times. Woods, whilst undoubtedly the greatest golfer just now by an abslolute mile, tends to win, but on average has very average major results otherwise (i.e. not in the top 3 too often). He is without dounbt the greatest front runner ever in golf, but not so hot when chasing a leader. IMO Nicklaus still shades it for me, the current golfers tend to shite it when Woods gets into contention.

Woods will beat Jack's wins record for sure tho'.

Nicklaus has the greater record for Majors performances in a time when other players went at him, Watson, Player, Palmer, and the rest, he finished in the top 3 of a major around 50 times. Woods, whilst undoubtedly the greatest golfer just now by an abslolute mile, tends to win, but on average has very average major results otherwise (i.e. not in the top 3 too often). He is without dounbt the greatest front runner ever in golf, but not so hot when chasing a leader. IMO Nicklaus still shades it for me, the current golfers tend to shite it when Woods gets into contention.

What for me sets Woods apart isn't actually his record. It's his raw ability. The guy is a genius. I don't remember many if any other golfers who can pull off some of the mind blowing putts and drives he can.

Goosen has said Tiger was faking the knee injury :rolleyes:

RETIEF GOOSEN last night accused Tiger Woods of faking injury on his way to victory at Torrey Pines.

Two-time winner Goosen was the last player to take a US Open in a play-off when he beat American Mark Brooks in 2001 at Southern Hills in Oklahoma.

And the South African, who tied for 14th place this time, insists the world No.1's injured knee only seemed to trouble him when he played a bad shot.

Goosen said: "When Tiger went down on his knees and shouted after making those putts his knee didn't seem sore.

"Only when he hit a bad shot did it look painful. If he was really injured he wouldn't have played."

Meanwhile, Woods has denied reports he was set to pull out of the event after the second round.

He said: "The knee has been sore for a while but I was never going to quit.

"Sport isn't kind to the body but there are no excuses - you just go play."

Goosen......shut the fuck up (tu)

that is adrenaline for you he was right pumped up then

What for me sets Woods apart isn't actually his record. It's his raw ability. The guy is a genius. I don't remember many if any other golfers who can pull off some of the mind blowing putts and drives he can.

Yes, some of the shots he hits and putts as well are incredible, but people still talk about Nicklaus in 1970, driving the 18th at St andrews, a feat virtually unheard of in those days. Nicklaus could fair skelp the ball. Woods putts that he sinks are incredible, again tho' i remember nicklaus under pressure 72nd hole at Turnberry 35 foot putt to ensure Watson had to sink his 3 footer for victory. Greens are faster now but they are more manicured, tend to putt truer.

What we can say is that both players took the game of golf to a new level at that particular time. My own thought is that modern players don;t work as hard as Woods and Tiger has been brought up to be the player he now is from a very early age, but current players imo have it too easy to earn lots of money, taking the hunger away from striving to challenge Tiger. Perhaps there is intimidation as well with the players that wilt when playign with Tiger, but in the Ryder cup his opponents do not back off, but probably would in a major, strange to me.

Guest Andypendek

Danny, did you see Seve in his prime?

I'll never forget one shot, I believe it was the Lancombe in Paris, where he played a 5 wood from under a bush, while kneeling.

And got it on the green.