Dyer and Bramble

Well done to them for this, makes a change from Jason Roberts' constant moaning.

Ipswich Town coaches Kieron Dyer and Titus Bramble do not believe they need the help of the "Rooney Rule" in order to progress in their coaching careers.

The practice has been introduced in the United States to ensure black coaches are interviewed for key NFL roles, and it has been suggested a similar system could be adopted in English football.

"I don't want to be interviewed because it's filling a quota," Under-16s coach Dyer told the Daily Telegraph.

Bramble said: "The rule is a disgrace."

The Ipswich Under-11s coach added: "You could say it's just as bad being given a job because of your skin colour as it is not being given a job.

"I'd like to see the figures which show how many black players want to go into coaching. I can say that because I'm black and I'm struggling to think of a single black team-mate who showed any interest in coaching. Kieron is the only one."

Bramble, 33, was a central defender who came through the Ipswich youth ranks with Dyer, and also had spells with Colchester, Newcastle, Wigan and Sunderland.

England international midfielder Dyer, 35, played alongside Bramble at Ipswich and Newcastle, also featuring for West Ham, Queens Park Rangers and Middlesbrough in an injury-hit career.

The Ipswich Under-11s coach added: "You could say it's just as bad being given a job because of your skin colour as it is not being given a job.

The Rooney Rule isn't about giving people jobs though, just interviews.

Think the Rooney Rule is utterly shite to be honest, while I commend them for trying to raise the figure if a black guy isn't one of the 5 best contenders for a job then he shouldn't be granted an interview simply on his skin colour - great intentions but its a shambles of a ruling

I think it's much more valid in the US. The rule was brought in because there were so many black NFL players (around 2 in 3, far more than the number of black English footballers) but so few coaches, and black Americans are 13% of the population compared to black British making up around 3%, and those few coaches in the NFL who WERE black were statistically more successful but their jobs were statistically more precarious etc, and they didn't find work as easily after getting fired. There was a demonstrable problem that could be solved. Black people were applying for jobs and not getting interviews. Is that the case in English football, or it just that the talent pool hasn't caught up yet since it took so long for black players to be truly common in English football? Some of the most prominent black players of the 80s and 90s HAVE become managers, like Hughton, Ince and Barnes. They're just not very good. I have absolutely no doubt that it's harder to get ahead in coaching in this country if you're black, but affirmative action programmes should only be implemented if they are actually seriously necessary. It could be that the balance corrects itself regardless.

In the same vein as the guaranteed interview scheme for the disabled we have here in public posts and the 50/50 campaign currently being pushed where they want political parties to put forward an equal number of male and female candidates, the similar campaign for boardrooms to have a fifty fifty split and the BBC drive to include people on comedy shows based on race or their sex over talent. What's wrong with merit? What's wrong with interviewing the ten best candidates for the role rather than saying "yeah, I know you were the 50th best candidate for the role but you're partially deaf so come on in for an interview and we'll just forget about that 10th candidate on merit we were going to interview"

I hate this whole debate. People shouldn't get an interview just because they are black , because I don't think for a second in the UK somebody wouldn't get an interview just because they are black.

The best people will get the jobs.

If Rangers appointed a Black manager I would be delighted, simply because McCoist isn't black :lol: