Coisty on becoming Manager, Lennon, and keeping in touch with Walter

Boab

May 4 2011 Euan Mclean

ALLY McCOIST admits he'd never have dreamed of being Rangers manager when he hung up his boots to become a telly celebrity.

Now the Ibrox gaffer-in-waiting believes he has finally shed the cheeky chappie image that made him a star on Question of Sport - and feels ready to defy the cynics who don't think he has the experience to succeed Walter Smith.

In an interview to be broadcast on ESPN, McCoist said: "If you had said to me 10-15 years ago I'd have the opportunity to manage this club I would have thought you were mad. Absolutely no way.

"Fifteen years ago I probably started doing my badges and before that I wouldn't have thought I would have stayed in the game.

"Then you realise how much it means to you and how important it is to you. You take your coaches badges and enjoy your coaching.

"It's been quite a long journey to get here - it's not the most orthodox way of getting in to management - and when you put it like that it's a lot of madness and great fun.

"The different stages of my life have been wonderful experiences. I've always said playing football was the best thing I could ever do and this is the next best thing.

"I was lucky to be on the other side of the camera as well, going to Champions League matches and finals was wonderful.

"But playing is the best and coaching and management second best. I have been very fortunate."

The happy-go-lucky persona that made him such a natural in front of the camera could have been his downfall when it came to being taken seriously by a dressing room seeking leadership.

But there has always been a steely undercurrent that drove McCoist to become the club's greatest goalscorer.

Anyone still under any illusions about McCoist's ability to go toe toe with a rival need only look at the notorious touchline bust-up with Celtic boss Neil Lennon at the end of the Scottish Cup replay at Parkhead in March.

But McCoist shrugs off both the misconception about his cheeky chappie image and the controversy surrounding the spat that saw both clubs hauled before the Scottish government.

He said: "Neil and I are absolutely fine. The best way to describe it is we have a healthy respect for each other and we know the difficulty of the jobs involved.

"We speak after the game, have a bottle of beer and a glass of wine, that's the way it should be and will always be.

"There has been a lot written and said because we had a little fallout - I fallout with the missus every day. It's pathetic. You saw what happened in the Barcelona v Real Madrid game.

"Neil and I would have got six months if that was us! In comparison ours was pretty tame. There is certainly no problem with Neil and myself.

"The cheeky image doesn't bother me because to a certain degree I've made my bed with the chatshow and Question of Sport so you don't knock it, it was magic fun.

"I think anybody who knows me and even the vast majority who don't would appreciate football after my family is the most important thing in my life and I want to do well.

"You don't succeed if you're not dedicated and true to what you want to do and I'm certainly that about football.

"I'm 48 now and have been involved in the game a long time. I'd like to think I certainly know the club, having played here for 15 years and I have been back with Walter for four-and-a-half years.

"I was also with Walter in the national team so I don't think anything is going to happen that will shock me.

"I don't underestimate the task, that's for sure. I feel I'm really ready for it."

So ready that McCoist has already begun to beef up his backroom staff with former team-mates John Brown and Neil Murray recruited to his scouting network plus, of course, his assistants Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant.

But no matter how many trusted lieutenants he has McCoist admits his greatest advisor and confidante will always be the mentor he is preparing to replace this summer.

He added: "Without doubt, I'll have Walter on speed-dial. I make no apology for the fact that man will be getting phoned twice, three times a week.

"But I have assembled my own coaching team. We've got Neil and John in the scouting department and very good they are too. I have worked with them a long time and know them well.

"It's important we have a good squad outwith the playing staff and that's why we have appointed these two guys because we've got the utmost respect and faith in them to do their job.

"I've known Ian for 100 years and Kenny a lot longer than people would think.

"They are good people, they know their jobs well and we've all got that in common. We hope to do well."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2011/05/04/ally-mccoist-i-m-ready-to-take-over-as-boss-of-rangers-but-walter-smith-will-be-on-speed-dial-86908-23106241/

The closer it gets, the more I look forward to McCoist taking over. I am bored of hearing about he is not just a cheeky chappy character. I get it.

I just hope he is his own man and won't look to Walter too much.