*** Official Snooker World Championship Thread ***

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Hendry had 7 tournaments a year to build all those records , this lot have up to 35 a year and most are never getting near his records. Easily the greatest ever snooker player.

I was talking purely on World championships though there's only one of them a year.

1 hour ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

I was talking purely on World championships though there's only one of them a year.

Selby will never get near Hendrys records. Its amazing the records the guy set on 7 tournaments a year, imagine his numbers on 35  plus a year like they have now. Hendry is easily the greatest theres ever been at the game.

2 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Selby will never get near Hendrys records. Its amazing the records the guy set on 7 tournaments a year, imagine his numbers on 35  plus a year like they have now. Hendry is easily the greatest theres ever been at the game.

Three of the last four world championships have been won by Mark Selby he is only four world championships behind with a huge part of his career to go.

Selby will overtake that record. Unless something goes badly wrong for him.

4 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Three of the last four world championships have been won by Mark Selby he is only four world championships behind with a huge part of his career to go.

No chance he will beat 7 , and have a wee look at the records Hendry set on 7 tourneys a year. Nobody in snooker could have and will ever set records like that again. Even both on top form Hendry would destroy him. Hendry doesnt get the praise he deserves because hes Scottish.

Just now, sassaaaa said:

No chance he will beat 7 , and have a wee look at the records Hendry set on 7 tourneys a year. Nobody in snooker could have and will ever set records like that again. Even both on top form Hendry would destroy him. Hendry doesnt get the praise he deserves because hes Scottish.

He is only four titles behind and Selby is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack (I made a snooker joke well done me)  are miles behind there's every chance Selby will win the next four or five in a row and take over Hendry that quickly.

For what it's worth Stephen Hendry was a phenomenon and is undoubtedly up there with when the best ever. I would put him below Davis and above Ronnie but imo Selby WILL belong in that conversation soon enough.

1 minute ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

He is only four titles behind and Selby is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack (I made a snooker joke well done me)  are miles behind there's every chance Selby will win the next four or five in a row and take over Hendry that quickly.

For what it's worth Stephen Hendry was a phenomenon and is undoubtedly up there with when the best ever. I would put him below Davis and above Ronnie but imo Selby WILL belong in that conversation soon enough.

Now i know yer takin the piss , enjoy........

4 hours ago, B1872 said:

Selby was giving Higgins 2/3 chances per frame. Hendry would only need one. 

When Selby was giving Higgins 2/3 chances a frame he wasn't playing his best. 

There's no point comparing Hendry at his best with Selby playing at a level below his. 

1 hour ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

I wouldn't go that far.

Selby is a top player, and will almost certainly win another world title, but there are plenty of players capable of winning the world title right now. You'd expect that Trump, Ding, Robertson, and maybe even O'Sullivan all have a title run in them. Easy to see how Selby could - and likely will - fall short of Hendry's record.

14 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I wouldn't go that far.

Selby is a top player, and will almost certainly win another world title, but there are plenty of players capable of winning the world title right now. You'd expect that Trump, Ding, Robertson, and maybe even O'Sullivan all have a title run in them. Easy to see how Selby could - and likely will - fall short of Hendry's record.

Trump and Ding yes I can see them winning a title at some point perhaps even Mark Allen too.

At the moment Selby is head and shoulders above everyone else though 3 world titles in 4 years are proof of that.

Robertson and even Murphy are great players but for me me are top 16 now rather than the absolute elite.

Ronnie is an also ran now.

Forgot to also point out Selby is only 33 and has a potential 15 or so years left at the top of the game.

1 minute ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Trump and Ding yes I can see them winning a title at some point perhaps even Mark Allen too.

At the moment Selby is head and shoulders above everyone else though 3 world titles in 4 years are proof of that.

Robertson and even Murphy are great players but for me me are top 16 now rather than the absolute elite.

Ronnie is an also ran now.

I can't believe you're dismissing Neil Robertson from a future title in the same post you're calling Mark Allan (who hasn't gotten past the second round since 2011) a future champion. 

I'm pretty sure O'Sullivan was an "also-ran" heading into the 2013 tournament as well...

Just now, Creampuff said:

I can't believe you're dismissing Neil Robertson from a future title in the same post you're calling Mark Allan (who hasn't gotten past the second round since 2011) a future champion. 

I'm pretty sure O'Sullivan was an "also-ran" heading into the 2013 tournament as well...

Any of the top 16 are potential winners even McGuire did well this year from qualifying but it is unlikely.

With Allen I think it's just hope that a Northern Irish Bear will win it. I hope Dott does too tbf.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Ronnie move into something else soon enough marathon running or full time Joey Barton level prick would be my guess.

2 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Nah, he doesn't get the praise because his style was so boring and robotic. Hendry, in his day, is the greatest of all time. My first fascination with Snooker as a very small wean came from Hendry vs White. That was a rivalry and a half that poor Jimmy couldn't get around.  

The thing is if Ronnie's head was screwed on he'd be on 10+ World Titles by now. 

I think those two finals in 93 & 94 & who Henry beat to get there are amongst the Greatest games of Snooker I've watched. I would say his style varied greatly down the years from Ruthless to at times Showy but in a very controlled way that it still did damage. 

For me the best all round player I've watched having grown up watching Alex Higgins& Jimmy White to Davis's domination ousting the old guard much in the same ruthless way Henry did albeit two great showman in White & Higgins still in there through the early 80s then along comes Hendry who also had many competitors by 1990/1991 for that decade O Sullivan I can't stand he's out of this world on form but I just couldn't take to him at all.

I sat down & watched his triumph in 2013 & it was outstanding probably the first & only time I wanted to see him win as his snooker was superb he is a one off but for me his ability meant he should have won more than 5 starting as early as the mid 90s but clearly not mature enough despite having so much talent .

I often wondered how many Hendry could have won for all the finals he made he was close in a few he lost despite the fact he was older but his form wasn't as ruthless as it once was having set such a marker with breakbuilding & shots to match easy & difficult some player in his day took me a few years to appreciate just how good he was in who he disposed of through a brilliant career who challenged him but came a cropper even at his peak more than a few times. 

Another Scot I liked was Alan McManus,Higgins I could never take to him maybe that wee Oirish face, good bear in Graeme Dott glad he became WC.

13 minutes ago, goaaaal said:

I think those two finals in 93 & 94 & who Henry beat to get there are amongst the Greatest games of Snooker I've watched. I would say his style varied greatly down the years from Ruthless to at times Showy but in a very controlled way that it still did damage. 

For me the best all round player I've watched having grown up watching Alex Higgins& Jimmy White to Davis's domination ousting the old guard much in the same ruthless way Henry did albeit two great showman in White & Higgins still in there through the early 80s then along comes Hendry who also had many competitors by 1990/1991 for that decade O Sullivan I can't stand he's out of this world on form but I just couldn't take to him at all.

I sat down & watched his triumph in 2013 & it was outstanding probably the first & only time I wanted to see him win as his snooker was superb he is a one off but for me his ability meant he should have won more than 5 starting as early as the mid 90s but clearly not mature enough despite having so much talent .

I often wondered how many Hendry could have won for all the finals he made he was close in a few he lost despite the fact he was older but his form wasn't as ruthless as it once was having set such a marker with breakbuilding & shots to match easy & difficult some player in his day took me a few years to appreciate just how good he was in who he disposed of through a brilliant career who challenged him but came a cropper even at his peak more than a few times. 

Another Scot I liked was Alan McManus,Higgins I could never take to him maybe that wee Oirish face, good bear in Graeme Dott glad he became WC.

Can't stand mcmanus, agree with the rest of your post though. 

43 minutes ago, goaaaal said:

Worth noting Hendry was only 30 when he won his last world title. 

I remember hearing him say in an interview that he'd never refuse a pot in favour of safety, this coupled with his ability to pot from behind the baulk line, his consistency and break building meant that he never really needed to play the type of flamboyant shots that O'Sullivan, A Higgins and White needed to pay because they lost control of the white ball. 

Great point craigyboy. He set a standard that the others followed no one could touch him as he excelled above already decent standards of players at that time but it caught up with him to an extent when the young squad who followed eventually matched him to some extent as well as a drop in form from Hendryt comes to them all.

Calling time when he did was disappointing although the field had evened out the comebacks the last few years of older players has been good to see but only Hendry will know if it's worth returning for which he said he would a while after stepping down.

16 minutes ago, JamieD said:

He's clearly the greatest player, achievements-wise, but it is definitely odd the way he declined so much so young. 

Strange maybe a combo of  all the above factors he always claimed he gave it 8 hrs a day even into the 2000's in practice.

He surpassed most of Steve Davis's records early doors the recent documentary where both players discussed their ambitions & targets were always a motivating factor in how Hendry wanted to outdo Davis & Likewise SD to what went before them.

They discussed modern day players like R O'S to Selby it was quite a good insight.

I always remember for a while when Hendry was near to his 30's he was up against it he looked Gubbed in 3 Finals against Mark Williams,Ken Doherty & Peter Ebdon having lost all three if memory serves correct & a Bruiser of a semi final one year against Williams where every jammy shot just fell to Williams probably had an effect more so those finals  even though a resurgence around 2003 wasn't enough to hit the highs he once achieved.

They finals may well have done to him what he put wee Jimmy White through.

Hendry won 7 world titles away from home with a hostile crowd where on occasions he was booed walking on,still beat them all.

He was also the most attacking player there's ever been,don't let the idiots on the BBC kid you on when they always talk about either Higgins,O'Sullivan and White being the most attacking of all time,bizarrely walking around the table quickly seems to be a prerequisite to attacking play for them.

Unfortunately Hendry's attacking style also led to his downfall because he neglected the safety aspect of his game and left him vulnerable to those with an all round game,I think Hendry was the best but maybe that lack of a safety game is where others may have a point in doubting his status as the greatest.

6 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Hendry won 7 world titles away from home with a hostile crowd where on occasions he was booed walking on,still beat them all.

He was also the most attacking player there's ever been,don't let the idiots on the BBC kid you on when they always talk about either Higgins,O'Sullivan and White being the most attacking of all time,bizarrely walking around the table quickly seems to be a prerequisite to attacking play for them.

Unfortunately Hendry's attacking style also led to his downfall because he neglected the safety aspect of his game and left him vulnerable to those with an all round game,I think Hendry was the best but maybe that lack of a safety game is where others may have a point in doubting his status as the greatest.

Definitely agree with you and Hendry could never be considered a slow player. Much as I like the debate, sometime I can't believe it's even up for discussion. The fact most if not all the top players are putting in 8 hours a day is down to to Hendry and probably Davis before him. The whole O'Sullivan could've should've question is baws. He might have the game, but if you've not got the mentality then you can't even consider him as the greatest. For me the real debate is Hendry v Davis. 

On another note even when Steve Davis was still qualifying for major tournaments well after his peak he usually went a couple of rounds then it's off ti the commentary box.

One year in the B&H Masters he was up against O,Sullivan who was playing well way out in front frame wise to the tune of six or so needing only a few it looked odds on SD was out I'M Sullivan was being a right Arsehole with his arrogance SD started what I can only describe as one of the greatest comebacks I've ever watched he kept OSullivan in his seat rattled off a winning run & beat the cunt the look on his face as Davis triumphed was brilliant it was a clear lesson in respect after his showing off & blatant disrespect of Davis iha & a topless bird jumped in n front of the camera from the crowd just for good effect .

What a game that was I reckon that quietly steeled Steve Davis for a few years as it showed a decent return of form after being a bit of an also ran despite his achievements that solidified his presence in tourneys.