Now this is what it's all about

The invasion has begun

by Graeme Murray

A red, white and blue army left Ibrox Stadium today as a convoy of Rangers fans set off to join thousands already in Manchester.

Every car, pick-up truck, transit van and mini-bus was covered in flags, balloons and scarves as around 200 vehicles began the journey through the city en route to Manchester, where tickets are selling for up to £2000.

Music blared as CDs belted out Rangers songs and a deafening procession of tooting car horns signalled the start of the journey.

Merchandisers at Ibrox were doing a roaring trade as fans snapped up last-minute flags and Uefa Cup T-shirts.

In one car, decked out with flags, Myra Fielding, 49, travelled with son Jack, 10. She said: "The atmosphere is going to be fantastic, it's a once in a lifetime chance.

"I don't really care how long it's going to take us to get there, we're really looking forward to it."

Also travelling was a family from Rutherglen and a group of fans who had come all the way from Australia.

Rab Smith, 57, from Melbourne, had travelled with a group of fans to Scotland. Initially from Johnstone, he moved to Melbourne in 1982.

He said: "There's about a dozen of us from Melbourne in our party. I'm really glad to be home, this is unbelievable."

Also making the trip was Cooper Black, 2, and his dad, Alex, 37, from Cambuslang. Mr Black said: "It's not often you get the chance to be in a European final, so we're going to love this."

One of the most colourful vehicles leaving Ibrox was a group of six from the Glasgow city centre bar Madness. Travelling in a Lincoln Navigator, the fans were decked out in Union Jack cowboy hats and their American car had red, white and blue ribbons on the bumper and even on the car's hub caps.

Central Station was also besieged with fans heading to the game by train.

The crowds included John Macinley, 32, of Pollok, who was wearing a Union Jack top hat, and his pal Roddy Finchley, 34, also from Pollok, who was wearing a jester's hat.

John said: "It's going to be a momentous night. To have Rangers in a European Final is unheard of and if we win it Manchester will never have seen anything like it."

meanwhile, thousands of fans were already in Manchester, for what will be the club's first European final in 36 years.

Enjoy yourselfs all that can get going. :bouncy: :rangers: :bouncy: :rangers: :bouncy: :rangers: :bouncy: :rangers:

Best I can do is get time off and be home to watch it on the telly.

I'll be with you in spirit, and if we win listen closely for a yank accented scream of primal joy.