Peter Martin agrees with Domm'nGloomers

PETER MARTIN: War chest will remain shut until Gers cash in on stars

Kenny Miller's arrival will be the exception rather than the norm as Walter will be expected to ensure the Rangers books stay properly balanced

Kenny Miller's arrival will be the exception rather than the norm as Walter will be expected to ensure the Rangers books stay properly balanced

by Peter Martin

RANGERS' claim that they banked over £20million from their European exploits this season must have had many of the Ibrox legions wondering if there was about to be a major spending spree by Walter Smith to finally wrestle the title away from Celtic.

The £9m from the sale of Alan Hutton also had the blue half of the city licking their lips at the prospect of the big splash.

The cry of ten, 12, no dare I say it, £15m in the war chest hasn't quite materialised and it won't over the summer months either unless a couple of sellable assets head out.

The reason there's no big spending in my mind is twofold. Firstly, Rangers are sensibly now working to a budget to reduce their own debt.

advertisement

Secondly, I don't believe any businessman in his right mind bails out anyone to the tune of £50m just because he's a fan.

That said, Sir David Murray, I am sure will look to reduce the money that's owed to him regardless of who was foolish enough to run up the negative figure in the first place.

Kyle Lafferty looks set to become the third man in at Ibrox this summer, alongside Kenny Miller and Andreas Velicka. Three strikers would seem to be a signal of intent from Walter for the new league campaign. Next comes the tricky bit, the flair players.

Do Rangers have three million to splash on Steve Davis? Is he the missing piece of the jigsaw in the middle of the park?

Not in my mind. If it was me, I would look for a couple of wingers for supply along with a playmaker alongside Barry Ferguson.

I don't believe for one minute Rangers will resist all the attempts from the Premiership for defender Carlos Cuellar and possibly Allan McGregor.

The possible sale of these two along with the expected departure of Daniel Cousin could give Walter extra cash to revamp the back line as well.

I can't wait to see what the Rangers gaffer's line-up will be at and how they are going to approach games.

One thing is for certain, there's no way the troops paying their hard-earned cash will suffer another season of one up front and boring football.

Boring is not a word you could use to describe the city that never sleeps. I'm in the USA tonight representing Radio Clyde at the New York radio festival awards.

It's a great honour to be here picking up the Gold medal for our Superscoreboard coverage of the France v Scotland game last September.

This is the equivalent of the Oscars' for the radio world and to be nominated is no mean feat, but to win is fantastic.

The memories of Scotland under Alex McLeish have come flooding back as I prepare to celebrate in the city that never sleeps. Looking back to that special night when a certain James McFadden hit Raymond Domenech's side with a superb sucker punch, I still get emotional listening back to our recording.

The Parc de Prince in Paris was bouncing and I could see thousands of Scots fans singing their hearts out, knowing we were in for a rough 90 minutes.

I am proud of that night's commentary, the lads alongside me and the team back in the studio. As the final whistle blew we all hugged each other, proud to be Scottish and equally delighted to brag that we were there to witness a great victory for Alex and the boys.

But I have one last person to thank as I pick up this gold medal tonight...James McFadden, what a goal!

Close bed-fellows, eh?

:D

Peter Martin eh?

I've heard he's nearly mastered the art of walking and talking at the same time. :lol:

That's just tabloid speculation with no basis in fact.

Same old Peter " I had to change my name from McGuire to get on the same radio station as Suzie McGuire" Martin.

I have had the misfortune to be invited to another Rangers Spanish "luxury" timeshare offer, with the hard sell being delivered after a professional presentation and a tour of Ibrox Stadium and a wee chat with Mark Hateley.

Now who would Rangers, in association with the developers, choose to do such a presentation. Geared as it is to Rangers supporters to try to get them to turn up in the first place and then part with a major slice of wedge to buy one of these properties.

You've guessed it, non other than Rangers hater and MOPE extraordinaire Peter McGuire.

But coming back to the topic in hand, I can believe that he gets information from Ibrox from the likes of DJ and Hateley as they are all chums, and it may be yet another column thrown out to get us all to downplay our ambitions for this transfer window.

Who the fk is Peter Martin.

Also Murray has very little DEBT in rangers (a fact many forget) he has lots of EQUITY - which is different. Equity can only produce a return based on dividends (which Rangers dont do) or by selling shares (which he hasn't done).

There may be questions on finance but a bit of basic ,business knowledge would help when saying SDM will repay the debt to himself - it just aint true. However it is GOOD to reduce the debt we have (which is mainly to the banks).

LOL

Who the fk is Peter Martin.Also Murray has very little DEBT in rangers (a fact many forget) he has lots of EQUITY - which is different. Equity can only produce a return based on dividends (which Rangers dont do) or by selling shares (which he hasn't done).

There may be questions on finance but a bit of basic ,business knowledge would help when saying SDM will repay the debt to himself - it just aint true. However it is GOOD to reduce the debt we have (which is mainly to the banks).

LOL

Some say it's olegs alter ego ! ;):sherlock:

Who the fk is Peter Martin.Also Murray has very little DEBT in rangers (a fact many forget) he has lots of EQUITY - which is different. Equity can only produce a return based on dividends (which Rangers dont do) or by selling shares (which he hasn't done).

LOL

Some say it's olegs alter ego ! ;):sherlock:

rofl.gif