*** RM Erskine Programme Programme - Mission Accomplished!

govanblue

Update:

We are still looking for more Volunteers for games in April. Please Volunteer???

Rangers Memorabilia: Heads up: We will shortly be launching a scheme where we will be asking you for just about anything and everything Rangers related, or general football related - DVDs, VIDEOs, books, photos, pin badges, bubble gum cards, literally anything and everything.

So in the meantime - Don't throw anything out!

The Erskine Programme Programme

Many of you buy a programme at the game simply to support the club, and don't really collect or keep your programmes.

We have 4 Erskine Homes who would absolutely love to receive a match programme after the game, firstly for the personal enjoyment of those resident Bears who are still capable of reading a programme (or even just looking at the pictures), and secondly to be used in their "Football Memories "groups, where they can be one of the most effective therapies around in Dementia care.

We have a football memories group in the home who meet on a regular basis. Your members' idea about Match day programs would be ideal for the group and our ardent Rangers fans. Books and DVDs would also come in useful and would be excellent for jogging our residents memories [note from gb - we will be looking at books and DVDs (and more) later].

It always amazes me when one of our residents who cannot remember what they had for breakfast is able to name a Rangers team from years back. The power of football!

- Carol, Erskine Park Home.

I'll be honest with you - I was surprised they didn't already have such a scheme in place. Good job we're here now, eh? :thumbup:

So we have pledged to make sure each home receives a match programme in the post from a member after each home league game (and if we can get enough member support, we can look at cup games and away games too).

So that's 4 programmes for 18 league games. So if we get 36 members signed up, that would be 2 programmes each to post per season. Not a lot, is it?

But since the rota isn't set up yet, we urgently need 3 volunteers (plus me = 4) to start it off tomorrow (this will count as your rota contribution, so you won't be asked again until we run out of members!)

So if you're interested, all you need to do is PM me, and I will give you the address to send it to. (tu)

(The postage will cost you £1.20p)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in GB (tu)

Would be happy to deliver the programmes to the homes as well if that would be better?

That could work - as a one off - let's see what other volunteers we get first though :D

And since I'm meeting you tomorrow to mug you anyway, I can give you mine to take up too.

It's easy enough to post, but I see you're not far from Erskine, so it would actually be nice for you to drop in. Let them see someone other than me for a change :D

That's a great scheme Govanblue, saw it on TV a while ago and it works brilliantly. It does need the memorabilia and props for it to work properly. Impossible to substitute that stuff .

To think something as simple as a couple of wee football programmes could provide that focus and ease of mind for some of these guys is amazing..

Good luck Govanblue.

That could work - as a one off - let's see what other volunteers we get first though :D

And since I'm meeting you tomorrow to mug you anyway, I can give you mine to take up too.

It's easy enough to post, but I see you're not far from Erskine, so it would actually be nice for you to drop in. Let them see someone other than me for a change :D

Would be a pleasure, I've dealt with Erskine before so at least I know who to ask for!

Will see you tomorrow mate (tu)

That's a great scheme Govanblue, saw it on TV a while ago and it works brilliantly. It does need the memorabilia and props for it to work properly. Impossible to substitute that stuff .

To think something as simple as a couple of wee football programmes could provide that focus and ease of mind for some of these guys is amazing..

Good luck Govanblue.

Aye mate. It was Nacho_Nacho_Man who suggested it ages ago, but it was only when I visited Erskine, met some of the residents, and talked to the Recreation Staff that I saw how effective it really is, and how well-positioned we are to provide the solution. (tu)

Good luck Govanblue.

Even something as simple as a panini sticker or bubble gum card !!!!

That's a bit shit tbh.

I think the thing with Rangers is that they think big, and when you're busy thinking big, it's hard to see the little things under your nose.

When you're donating hundreds of thousands of pounds to Erskine, it's sometimes difficult to see that the stuff you're 'throwing away' is in many ways worth even more.

Similarly, RCF weren't able to help a member who wanted to buy 2 tickets and donate them to a worthy cause - because all the admin, red tape, tax forms, etc don't justify the effort, when they have 8,000 tickets to distribute etc.

In both cases it needed someone to come along who can think small and petty.

Hello :D

Well, we managed to scrape up enough volunteers (just!)

So our 4 Erskine Homes (Bishopton, Glasgow, Mains, Park) will each receive a copy of today's programme.

Hopefully the first of many (tu)

So many thanks to The Erskine Programme Programme's Founding Members:

ianb1547 - the man who came up with the idea, but wasn't at today's game to kick it off!

• phil
  • mearns loyal
  • trublusince1982
  • govanblue

And now we need 4 more volunteers for the 11th January game. (tu)

Anyone?

Anyone?

I'll pick one up for the 11th. Maybe for next season we could organise a subscription for each of the homes if the club aee still running that option?

Thanks Eagle (tu)

That takes us to 8 volunteers, so now we're looking for 4 volunteers for the 25th January game v Arbroath. (tu)

We had talked about taking out 4 subscriptions - but they cost £50 each.

While we could afford that, we thought it would be a waste of £200 when many of our members chuck their programmes in the bin.

So we thought we'd try this first, assuming that many members would jump at such an easy way to make such a big difference.

And if this works, then we can spend that £200 on something else that our members can't already provide for free. (tu)

That's the hope anyway.

( Edit: PS - don't tell anyone, but we will soon be taking out 4 subscriptions to Seventy2 Magazine - they're only £12 each, but are far more valuable because of their historic/nostalgic content. (tu) )

Handed two programmes (one from me and one from GovanBlue) earlier and the woman on reception was delighted by them and mentioned how well anything from Rangers goes down with the veterans.

Excellent. (tu) There should be two more in the post shortly to the other two homes, so that's us up and running - we can't ever stop now :lol:

Thanks Eagle (tu)

That takes us to 8 volunteers, so now we're looking for 4 volunteers for the 25th January game v Arbroath. (tu)

We had talked about taking out 4 subscriptions - but they cost £50 each.

While we could afford that, we thought it would be a waste of £200 when many of our members chuck their programmes in the bin.

So we thought we'd try this first, assuming that many members would jump at such an easy way to make such a big difference.

And if this works, then we can spend that £200 on something else that our members can't already provide for free. (tu)

That's the hope anyway.

( Edit: PS - don't tell anyone, but we will soon be taking out 4 subscriptions to Seventy2 Magazine - they're only £12 each, but are far more valuable because of their historic/nostalgic content. (tu) )

Who does the money go to for the Seventy2 Magazines?

Count me in GB. Is it for 25 January ?

Better remind me nearer the time tho ! ! !

If that suits you yes. (tu)

Don't worry - our end of the bargain will be making sure everyone knows what they're doing and when, so you'll definitely get reminded :D

And If anyone would like to volunteer for any other fixture that I've not mentioned yet, please do - We're building up a rota, so can slot you in for any game where you think you'll be attending.

The rota will also be fluid in the sense that if circumstances change and you can't make the game you were down for, we'll sort out a replacement, and slot you back in to the rota whenever next suits you. (tu)