It's Not Walter's Fault that the Team Started Poorly

contacts

Although like many others I think Walter got his starting eleven wrong but I do not believe it would have changed things dramatically. The real problem in the first half was the players attitudes and lack of bottle.

Although the second half was a huge improvement and Novo & Lafferty helped change things I would suspect the half-time bollocking by the management team would have made the most significant difference.

This squad of players have a history of lacking bottle but they still have 2 more games to give the Rangers fans what they deserve. Lets hope they can.

I wasn't too upset with the starting line-up (although I'd have preferred Lafferty instead of Velicka) so I agree that the attitude of the players is most disappointing.

However, this problem is nothing new so the management team must take their fair share of the blame as all too often this season we've only turned up for 45mins.

There is a big problem in the dressing room with confidence, self-belief and commitment. I don't know how to fix it. Evidently, neither does Walter.

The first half performance from our team reminded me of a snooker player after he had just hit a 147.

Thought they didn't need to try and it came back to bite them, but could in all honesty have finished worse.

smith and vilicka were a disgrace in the 1st half, i would have hooked them after 20min..... high balls up to big jones, hes was on easy street!!!! i would also buy jones to replace wier.......would be a gd edition................!!!!!!

need a big win against aberdeen on saturday, and i just cnt see it as they up their game every time against us!!!!!

Totally agree with everything contacts say's......but i would say walter got his tactics wrong first half by trying to get the high balls in the box early instead of hitting the by-line which we tried to do in the second half and created more chances, albeit without an out and out winger with a decent cross in him.

I wasn't too upset with the starting line-up (although I'd have preferred Lafferty instead of Velicka) so I agree that the attitude of the players is most disappointing.However, this problem is nothing new so the management team must take their fair share of the blame as all too often this season we've only turned up for 45mins.There is a big problem in the dressing room with confidence, self-belief and commitment.  I don't know how to fix it.  Evidently, neither does Walter.
I agree with the fact that Walter and Ally (two people I like) have to take some of the blame for the way we played in the first half because it has happened so many times this season, after Saturdays win it was just not good enough to play in such a pathetic way. I would have thought the players would have started the game as if their lives depended on it, certainly some of there futures at Rangers should be in doubt. :angry:

I would have thought the players would have started the game as if their lives depended on it, certainly some of there futures at Rangers should be in doubt. :angry:

No doubt about it.

The problem is Walter signed most of these players. Once again Mendes and Davis were no more than average and didn't really affect the game as much as they should have.

Do we get rid of them in the summer? Probably not but I'm worried that they lack the self-belief, work-rate and responsibility to bring us success.

Although like many others I think Walter got his starting eleven wrong but I do not believe it would have changed things dramatically. The real problem in the first half was the players attitudes and lack of bottle.

Although the second half was a huge improvement and Novo & Lafferty helped change things I would suspect the half-time bollocking by the management team would have made the most significant difference.

This squad of players have a history of lacking bottle but they still have 2 more games to give the Rangers fans what they deserve. Lets hope they can.

yes they do, sadly

Agree with Frankie as well about Davis and Mendes, moreso Davis last night, again.

i thought mendes did well and controlled the play, as for davis, he was hiding last night big time, and sitting deep most of the game, even daily was playing more attacking than him, there was no need for this as thats whats edu is in the team for....we missed his driving runs...maybe the little poke pitch had a lot to do with this...i dunno!!!!!!

The lack of pace upfront with the Boyd/Velicka partnership has been clear, particularly with the lack of pace in the defence which means our team is too streched out. It was always going to come back to bite us. Smith picked Velicka upfront and the buck stops with him, as far as I'm concerned.

The lack of pace upfront with the Boyd/Velicka partnership has been clear, particularly with the lack of pace in the defence which means our team is too streched out. It was always going to come back to bite us. Smith picked Velicka upfront and the buck stops with him, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't disagree but because of this lack of pace it is up to the midfield (and full-backs) to get forward and support them. That doesn't happen often enough and I can't tell if it certain players shirking this responsibility or just the negative mindset of the manager.

No matter, things should be different come the next 2 games and I, for one, can't wait!

I don't disagree but because of this lack of pace it is up to the midfield (and full-backs) to get forward and support them. That doesn't happen often enough and I can't tell if it certain players shirking this responsibility or just the negative mindset of the manager.

No matter, things should be different come the next 2 games and I, for one, can't wait!

But the midfield can't do that if they also have be back supporting the defence with their lack of pace as well. Smith should be taking account of that.

I've pointed out before that despite Velicka's recent goals, the team actually score more when he goes off the pitch.

I agree in the most part, and it is a constant problem. However, if the management team can motivate them for the second half, why can't they do it for the first? Incidentally, why do the team need motivating when they've got 3 games to win to win a title?

But the midfield can't do that if they also have be back supporting the defence with their lack of pace as well. Smith should be taking account of that.

I've pointed out before that despite Velicka's recent goals, the team actually score more when he goes off the pitch.

Last night, Hibs only had one man up front. Edu was ample protection for the centre-halves.

I don't disagree with not playing Velicka (I'd have went with Lafferty) but he wasn't the sole reason our first half performance was so poor. Quite simply we didn't have the correct attitude and I don't think that would have changed no matter who played up front.

Walter must take the blame, he gave them their orders on how to play. if not then he could see with his own eyes what was going on, but done nothing until half time. I say he told them keep it tight and try and nick a goal, thats his usual tactics. He should have been roaring at them after 10 minutes when he seen what was going on. What the problem is that we have a manager that is scared to try to win a game because he is scared of losing a goal.

Last night, Hibs only had one man up front. Edu was ample protection for the centre-halves.

I don't disagree with not playing Velicka (I'd have went with Lafferty) but he wasn't the sole reason our first half performance was so poor. Quite simply we didn't have the correct attitude and I don't think that would have changed no matter who played up front.

Agree with that, where was Davis? Again!!!!, certainly nowhere near RM. Why hump long balls up to Jones? Stevie Smith didnt have a good one again

I just question how much these guys want the title. Not very much it seems to me.

I lay last night on the players more than I do Smith.

Walter was totally fuming at half time, you could see it, yet, many seem to think he asked the players to play long ball up to the Hibs defence.

Terrible performance from some players in that half. Once again taking the easy option by simply punting the ball up to Boyd and Velicka. Davis and Mendes were simply woeful in the first half and if riordan hadn't scored I'm sure it would have been exactly the same in the 2nd half

Guest therabbitt

I found myself shouting at Edu last night, he put in another steady performance, but sometimes I just wanted him to push forward into the space that was in front of him before passing the ball. It would have seen us 10/20 yards further up the pitch and Smith/Davis would have been better placed for crossing the ball. Mendes would have been able to have been up to support the attack alongside the strikers.

Last night showed once and for all that Nacho, much as we all love him, just isn't good enough. He should have had at least a hatrick.

Like Frankie, I would have started with Lafferty instead of Velicka. However, had Velicka played the second half he would have put a few of Nacho's chances away. We wouldn't be talking about the 'goal' (and it was a goal) - Velicka would have buried it.

The players must take the brunt of the responsibility. But I guess it's hard going for them when they've known from the start of the season they have to score 3 goals before they are allowed to win 2-1.

We will put 4 past Aberdeen on Saturday and Hibs will take points off them on Sunday. (tu)

Guest therabbitt
Last night showed once and for all that Nacho, much as we all love him, just isn't good enough. He should have had at least a hatrick.

Like Frankie, I would have started with Lafferty instead of Velicka. However, had Velicka played the second half he would have put a few of Nacho's chances away. We wouldn't be talking about the 'goal' (and it was a goal) - Velicka would have buried it.

The players must take the brunt of the responsibility. But I guess it's hard going for them when they've known from the start of the season they have to score 3 goals before they are allowed to win 2-1.

We will put 4 past Aberdeen on Saturday and Hibs will take points off them on Sunday. (tu)

I'm not so sure it's as clear cut as that with Novo. He should have had a hatrick, yet I do feel for him in the fact that he has been out in the cold.

I know he's dubbed our supersub, but it will be hard for him to come out of long periods of being on the bench and be razor sharp. Perhaps I'm being blinded by the fact that I really like the wee man. But to say he just isn't good enough is just a little step too far.

It's the old addage, but would have Velicka been able to get into the same positions as Novo? I agree that presented with the same chances he might very well have taken them, especially the "goal" - as he would have put the ball and the goalie over the line.

I agree completely with the rest of your post though about the players needing to take responsibility and us walloping the sheep (tu)

I would have thought the players would have started the game as if their lives depended on it, certainly some of there futures at Rangers should be in doubt. :angry:

No doubt about it.

The problem is Walter signed most of these players. Once again Mendes and Davis were no more than average and didn't really affect the game as much as they should have.

Do we get rid of them in the summer? Probably not but I'm worried that they lack the self-belief, work-rate and responsibility to bring us success.

If we lose the league this season then the middle of the park should rightly be the focus of most of our questions. Arguably the two most talented players at the club, Mendes and Davis, have been fat too hit and miss for me. They seem to have avoided much of the criticism as all anger will focus on Ferguson (when playing) and this ridiculous excuse that Davis is playing out of position is regularly trotted out to excuse another anonymous performance from him. I like both Davis and Mendes and I genuinely believe Davis will improve and if he stays here could be come a rangers great, but right now I can see why both didn’t really cut it in the premiership……..

The players and management team of course, should have a long hard look at themselves this morning and ask why they didn’t start better yesterday. It really does sum up the last four years though, yes we can produce the performance in the big game and we can match Celtic but we seem to lose focus in the “smaller “games and regularly lose or draw these games. I don’t think it is anything to do with bottle and that worries me even more…..

The first half performance from our team reminded me of a snooker player after he had just hit a 147.

I couldn't agree with this more.

There was an arrogance about our first half, almost like the team was just passing the ball around expecting to win.