Another Season At The Top For Weir?

Dietspam

Davie Weir has been great for us since he came to Ibrox when Walter Smith took over. If you think back to how shabby our defense was under PLG, Walter brought in Weir and toughened up or defence. He's been a consistent performer since then, helping the team to the Uefa Cup Final, and leading us to the SPL title this season.

I take my hat off to him.

But (:craphead:) I feel Rangers should look to bring in someone a little younger for next season, with Weir taking a back seat as a back up. We have Champions League football next season, and i think to rely on a 39, coming on 40 by that time, is a little too much. You could argue that he deserves another year at the highest level, but i think it's time to bring in some one around the higher 20s, lower 30s mark.

I know we wont have a lot of money for transfers, but i do believe there will be some, and i feel this is the area that needs to be addressed first and foremost.

Guest Andypendek

I think you've hit the nail absolutely on the head. But how do you square the circle, that if we play A.N.Other CB in the CL games but not in the SPL, he'll be rusty as hell and we'd be as well playing Weir? Or, if we play Weir in the CLs, why bother signing A.N.Other? I don't see a way round that atm, it seems to me that it has to be either go with Weir/Bougherra or sign someone else and go with them. In that latter case I would hope Weir would still be around as backup and coach.

We still need another central defender but i'd definately give him another year.....he deserves it!

Another year at what though? An extension and play as he has been, week in, week out. Or an extension and keep as back up?

I think you've hit the nail absolutely on the head. But how do you square the circle, that if we play A.N.Other CB in the CL games but not in the SPL, he'll be rusty as hell and we'd be as well playing Weir? Or, if we play Weir in the CLs, why bother signing A.N.Other? I don't see a way round that atm, it seems to me that it has to be either go with Weir/Bougherra or sign someone else and go with them. In that latter case I would hope Weir would still be around as backup and coach.

he would be the ideal back up next season imo

he would be the ideal back up next season imo

I would have him working closely with Danny Wilson. Couldn't go wrong with Bid Weir as your mentor.

Aslong as he has the pace of Bougherra along side him id keep him in there. Commanding, Experienced. Wins the first ball up, scores a couple goals aswell.