Lippi: "This is the real expression of Italian football, not

Boab

June 7, 2009

No Serie A club made it beyond the quarter-finals of either the Champions League or the UEFA Cup last season, prompting many of the league's coaches, including Inter Milan's Jose Mourinho, to raise questions about their competitiveness abroad.

AC Milan general manager Adriano Galliani recently claimed Serie A "runs the risk of becoming a small league", but Italy coach Lippi believes the league is not a true indication of the strength of Italian football.

Speaking after the Azzurri cruised to a comfortable 3-0 win over Northern Ireland in Pisa, Lippi said "club football is not the expression of a country's football".

He added: "The big teams in England, Italy and Spain have dozens of foreigners and they cannot be considered as representative of English, Italian or Spanish football.

"I am totally satisfied with Italian football, from the Under-18s through the Under-21s to the national team.

"This is the real expression of Italian football, not what happens at club level."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...mp;&cc=5739

He has a fair point. I said it myself and i've emailed SSN a couple of time whenever they start going on about how great their league is. Its full of overpriced, overpaid foreigners. I loved the english game back in the early 90s.

English football is gonna be the death of competitive football. UEFA need to make sure it doesnt happen.