Murray targets number one ranking

World number two Andy Murray believes he is "not that far" from taking Roger Federer's number one ranking.

Fresh from his victory in the Montreal Masters, the 22-year-old said a couple of key defeats were the difference.

"If I had had a slightly better run at the Australian Open or [not lost] a tight one to Andy Roddick at Wimbledon then, who knows?" Murray said.

Murray defends his title at the Cincinnati Masters where he faces Nicolas Almagro on Wednesday.

The Scot meets the world number 33 in the third match scheduled, with play beginning at 1600 BST.

The rest of the world's top five are also in action on Wednesday.

Novak Djokovic is followed on court by Federer, Murray, Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick.

Having won the title in Montreal, Murray begins the defence of his Cincinnati title just three days later but he insists he is not worried about burning out before the US Open.

"I would hope I would still be reasonably fresh," he said. "I think it's more mentally than physically that's important, because physically I think I'll be strong enough to compete in the Slam."

JONATHAN OVEREND BLOG

Holding on to number two will be hard enough with Nadal returning from injury and Del Potro looking like the best bet for a long-term rival

Although Murray's victory in Montreal saw him lift his fourth senior Masters title, he is yet to win a Grand Slam - something Federer, who beat Murray in last year's US Open final, has achieved 15 times.

Murray believes, however, that he has been consistent enough this year to deserve his position in the rankings.

"It's not that far. It's a matter of a couple of the matches," he said. "I know it's a long way from losing the semi finals [at Wimbledon] to winning but that would have made a huge difference.

"I would be very close to Roger in the rankings if I had won those two matches from the semis onwards.

"That's really the only difference - getting a Slam - between being number one and two. The other tournaments has been pretty similar."

He added: "Federer, I think, won his first Slam when he played his 17th Slam. I think I've only played 15.

"At 22 I'm still pretty young. I'd love to win a Slam, that's obviously one of my biggest goals, but to say that I'd be disappointed to not win one with the level of competition that's around now is a little bit disrespectful to the players.

"You've got some of the best ever playing right now."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8208463.stm

Winning a major is more important than being #1.

Dinara Safina doesn't get much respect at #1 because she's never on a major.

exactly mate

but in Murrays case its a matter ov how many majors he can win and a think hes one of the red hot favs for the Us Open