Jerome sweet home

ShaneRalfRoss

Jerome sweet home

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: 02 Sep 2009

rigTeaserImage

DADO PRSO traded Monte Carlo for Govan - and loved every second of it.

Now he's sold close pal Jerome Rothen on a move to Rangers.

The French wing king is desperate to make the same impact at Ibrox as the Croat 'warrior'.

Rothen, a former team-mate of Prso at Monaco, has sealed a season-long switch from Paris St Germain.

He played in a Champions League Final and shared some classic moments with Prso.

But he knows the fondest memories of the Croat's career were linked to Gers. Rothen wants to taste the same highs - and maybe even extend his stay beyond one season.

Rothen said: "I already knew a great deal about Rangers before I came to Scotland.

"I have played with Dado Prso and Jeremy Clement and spoke to them about the club. Dado was a warrior on the pitch and he told me how much he enjoyed his time here.

"He has nothing but fond memories about his time in Glasgow. He said so many good things about the club.

"Jeremy was younger when he was here and I think he only stayed at Rangers for six months.

"They both told me I'd enjoy the experience and that I must sample the atmosphere in the stadium.

"The facilities here are top-class, just as they told me, and now I want to make an impression.

"If everything goes well this season I would like to stay longer as this is a club which matches my ambitions."

Rothen, 31, played with Prso and former Gers defender Julien Rodriguez at Monaco. They reached the 2004 Champions League Final before losing 3-0 to Pedro Mendes' Porto. Now Rothen can't wait to get back into Europe's top tourney and he's looking forward to playing with Portuguese playmaker Mendes.

The Frenchman said: "I remember playing against Pedro in the final and he's a top-quality player. He's had a great career and he showed all his qualities when Porto beat us.

"I also know Madjid Bougherra from his time in France and I'm aware of Kris Boyd and Nacho Novo.

"I know Walter Smith as he was coach of Scotland when they beat France at Hampden three years ago "When he made it clear that he wanted to sign me, that helped me make up my mind."

Monaco were surprise finalists when they tackled Jose Mourinho's Porto five years ago.

Advertisement

Now he reckons Gers can shock Europe by reaching the knockout phase of this season's Champions League. Rothen is eagerly awaiting Group G games against Sevilla, Stuttgart and Unirea Urziceni.

The left-winger has few doubts they can make the last 16.

He added: "I hope we can get through the group and I don't see any reason why not.

"We must start the competition looking to qualify for the knockout stages and I think we can do it.

"A club with Rangers' reputation and history must look to do this and it's something we can achieve.

"The Champions League was a big draw for me during the negotiations with Rangers. I have already had the chance to experience the incredible thrill of a final with Monaco.

"This competition has created most of my greatest memories in my club career. Now I want even more.

"It will be great to participate again after watching the Champions League on TV the last two years."

Rothen, who started his career at Caen, actually played AGAINST Rangers last month. He was in the PSG side which lost 1-0 to Gers at The Emirates Cup when Bougherra headed a late winner.

He confessed that he was stunned by the stylish way the Double winners went about their business.

Rothen said: "I was pleasantly surprised at how well Rangers played against us.

"They kept the ball well and passed well, and that is a style of play which will suit me.

"It was only the beginning of pre-season but they've obviously taken that form into the new season.

"They've won their first three league games and the team seems to be evolving nicely. They are trying to move forward as a team and I could see all their qualities in London."

Rothen is set to get his first outing in the Light Blue against Motherwell at Fir Park a week on Saturday.

He's likely to fill the left-midfield slot that's caused so many problems.

Charlie Adam, Kyle Lafferty, Stevie Smith, John Fleck, Steven Naismith and DaMarcus Beasley have had a chance.

Now Rothen wants to nail down a place and push for inclusion in France's World Cup squad.

He added: "I have a good left foot and I like to think I have good technical ability. I try to pose a threat to the opposition by pushing forward whenever I can.

"I'd like to play for France again. If I play for Rangers in the Champions League, then maybe it can happen. It's the most watched competition in the world and I'd hope it could help me win back my place."

Rothen has 26 caps, played at the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal and was also involved in France's 2003 Confederations Cup win.

He remains close friends with former PSG team-mate and Chelsea superstar Nicolas Anelka.

He added: "I had good times in Paris, I played with some great players and worked with fine coaches.I just felt that I'd been in Paris for five years and at 31 the time was right for me to go and grasp a new opportunity."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...sweet-home.html