WilliamFyfe

1872 or 1873  

108 members have voted

1. 1. 1872 or 1873

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am under the impression, RFC were "officially constituded" in 1873.

No one is disputing we were founded in 1872. This is what confuses the issue.

Which has been documented in a few books on the history of Rangers.

Milton, just out of historic curiosity, where does your information come from?

Wertp72

My information comes from where exactly those who say the club became "official", "legal", "established", "held their first agm" etc etc in 1873 does not - the records of the time.

Daddy Dunlop, SFA annuals, Rangers member cards, newspaper reports, SFA history books, player autobiographies (Archie Steel, for example) all say 1872. There is absolutely no significance given in any of these early records to the 1873 date.

Robert McElroy's Complete Record is an outstanding book and well researched, but there's just one wee error when he states the club were formed in February 1872. There's no evidence to back this up and I suspect it was just a wee arithmetic slip when the book was written. Daddy Dunlop, writing as True Blue in the SFA annual of the early 1880s, looked back and recalled the first Rangers game against Callander was played in May 1872, "some two months after talks first began in West End Park to form the club" (or words to that effect). ie two months before May 1872 is March, not February. Just a month, I know, but historical accuracy is very important.

Again, I suspect the talk about becoming established and legal and all that other stuff in 1873 is just a (lazy) conclusion people made recently after the weight of evidence grew for 1872. "Oh well, if they played their first games in 1872, they MUST have formed a committee, held AGMs etc in 1873 and that's why the official birth date is 1873.' There's no evidence to suggest that at all. Just because I've got a pint of milk in my fridge doesn't mean to say I've got a cow in my living room.

I'm no maestro, btw, it's all there in the Gallant Pioneers (except the bit abut February/March 1872), so this is Gary Ralston's argument. Check it out for yourself.

we wer founded in 1872 end off and thats what should be recognize IMO. :D

The research that went into Gary Ralston's book '1872' was extensive.

The poll on here simply highlights that no matter what the Club say it's taken as fact by too many people.

The Club have my sympathy but it could be sorted by a simple statement.

Compare and contrast Rangers beginnings with another Glasgow club founded some 15 years later(yes, ra Sellik were founded in St Mary's Halls in November 1887). Sellik were founded by a representitive of the biggest church on the globe and six middle class rc families. They had purchased ground and built a stadium with two grandstands and a velodrome. They had an exhibition match played on the ground between Hibs and Renton(they then signed the better halves of both teams), then played a Rangers xi in their first match.

One club is a manufactured affair, a product of a late Victorian X Factor. The other is a truly organic affair, youth brought together through the love of the game. Let's shout about our GREEN credentials.

Just a couple of small points. I think the first match played at Sellik Park was between Hibernian and Cowlairs. The Celtic team that played Rangers Swifts (with guests) in what Celtic say was their first match was composed of eleven players from other clubs. I have the details at home. I will post them later. They did sign at least six players from Hibernian. That, of course, led to the famous open letter to Hibernian Football Club of July, 1888 in the "Scottish Umpire". That excellent publication also included little snippets such as "James Kelly is now settled in a spirit shop in the east end of the city". It also refers to James McCall of Renton turning down the "biggest offer ever made to a footballer" by an unnamed Scottish club.

We celebrated the centenary of that first match in May, 1872 by winning the Cup Winners' Cup in May, 1972. 1873 belongs to John Allan.

The first match at the first Celtic Park was Hibernian v Cowlairs. The Celtic line-up against Rangers Swifts (incl guests) was:

Dolon Drumpellier

Pearson Carfin Shamrock

McLachlan Whitefield

Maley 3rd Lanark

Kelly Renton

Murray Cambuslang Hibs

McCallum Renton

Maley 3rd Lanark

Madden Dumbarton

Dunbar Hibs

Gorevin Whitefield

Within a month of him guesting for Celtic in this match (played in the amateur era), the "Scottish Umpire" (26 June, 1888)reported "Kelly is now established in a spirit shop out east". James Kelly clearly had two enormous strokes of good fortune at this time in his life. Firstly, he found the funds to establish himself in the spirit shop. Secondly, he had the great luck to find a new football club on his new doorstep. What a lucky man. The Kelly Dynasty was born.

At the beginning of August, Celtic played Hibernian. Included in the home line-up that day were five former Hibernian players, Groves, Coleman, McLaren, Gallacher and McKeown. One can only presume the attraction of playing football for an amateur club based in Edinburgh was outweighed by the attraction of travelling fifty miles to play for an amateur football club based in Glasgow.

One final point. The Scottish Football Annuals usually contained what were really no more than advertisments by the clubs for new members. The layout was the same, whether it was Dumbarton or Rangers or who ever. There was details of office-bearers, number of members, subscription, etc. At the top of Rangers was "Instituted 1872". It was always 1872 until John Allan published his "The (Pretty Inaccurate) Story of the Rangers". There is simply no argument. To say otherwise is to deny one of the greatest stories in sport.

One final point. The Scottish Football Annuals usually contained what were really no more than advertisments by the clubs for new members. The layout was the same, whether it was Dumbarton or Rangers or who ever. There was details of office-bearers, number of members, subscription, etc. At the top of Rangers was "Instituted 1872". It was always 1872 until John Allan published his "The (Pretty Inaccurate) Story of the Rangers". There is simply no argument. To say otherwise is to deny one of the greatest stories in sport.

(tu)

Also 1872 means 100 years later we won the European Cup..

Good thread, which I hope convinces the doubters that the formation of The Rangers was indeed 1872.

Sorry to post something about the filth on a thread about OUR history, but it is worth doing for comparison of the foundation of both clubs (ours and theirs). The Hibs official site tells the story of the abominable treatment the Ediburgh team received from their supposed charitable Glasgow neighbours, who repaid Hibernian's help and favour, by almost putting them out of business, having poached their best players after playing in a game to raise funds for sellik.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Timeline...1750603,00.html

14malog.jpg