RST launches Soldiers Past and Present Initiative

cooperonthewing

http://www.rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk/rs...1&Itemid=43

The 'Soldiers Past and Present' Scheme

Monday, 21 September 2009 19:36

The Rangers Supporters Trust is extending its already-popular Ibrox hospitality links with Erskine Home and is delighted to announce details of a further new initiative which will see current members of our Armed Forces personnel also make regular visits to Ibrox stadium for Rangers home games.

The Rangers Supporters Trust has four season tickets as part of the highly-successful Rangers Lotto Agency and the Trust has now extended its scheme to honour the brave men and women who offer to give their all for their country.

The scheme will see members of the various forces in Scotland not only attend the match but also be special guests of the RST and the Wee Rangers Club for some pre-match entertainment and refreshments. The Trust takes great pleasure in continuing its ever-growing support for “our boys”. It also enables us to keep up our support for the residents of Erskine Home, and last month saw the RST welcome several residents as our first guests within the new scheme.

As a Trust we have fully supported the 'Rangers Supporters Erskine Appeal' and we look forward to continuing in this field. We also warmly applauded the moves by Rangers FC to welcome the Army and then the Royal Marines “back home” to the fields of Ibrox Park last season - and it's obvious that the entire Rangers support feels the same.

Colin McPhail of Erskine was delighted at the new scheme and commented on behalf of the Home “every week we gather the residents down to the foyer to watch the football - the vast majority in here being blue noses! Its fantastic to see the joy they get watching the games but when we actually get to take them to Ibrox it is something magical. From the welcome at the Wee Rangers Club to the walk down to the stadium it still sends shivers down the spine as you enter the famous Ibrox Stadium. The veterans really appreciate getting to follow follow on again and we thank The Rangers Supporters Trust for their continued support and backing”.

We look forward to welcoming our guests in the near future.

Excellent, excatly the type of thigs the trust should be doing...

As an aside what is gerspride ?

It's a conference taking place on 14th November looking at different aspects of our Club, culture, heritage, future etc. Wanna ticket? :pipe:

I would need more details of what it's purpose is ...and to rejoin the rst i would imagine........ :pipe:

GCL, I attended the last Gerspride conference and a very informative and interesting day it was.

Obviously COTW will let you know if you can attend without being a RST member, which I would imagine you could as although the event is run by the trust, it is really for all Rangers fans IMO.

The last time round, the speakers were the local MP Ian Davidson, a guy from Hamburg telling us about their fans-owned club and museum, and a prof from Aberdeen (If I remember correctly) who gave a brilliant talk on the media and their deliberate slanting of the agenda in defence of anything timmy and slating anything Prod/Rangers.

I printed off my ticket application form yesterday and will ensure I get my ticket for this, and I am hoping it is well attended and can be as informative as the last one.

BTW, if COTW is looking in, can I get a ticket at the RST AGM this weekend or should I just post it?

Cheers mate, had never heard of it before and the little detail on there website didn’t really explain what it was, I presumed it was a new campaign from them to replace the “we deserve better” stuff (maybe gerspride would have been a better name for the campaign) didn’t realise this was an annual event……

Tannochside, I was there as well. The Professor from Aberdeen was Steve Bruce; and there was also a guy from the NI supporters organisation.

As you say, it was excellent and informative, if unfortunately not very well attended.

Thanks Manti, Steve Bruce, that's right, and I had forgotten about the NI supporters guy, who was very good in explaining how they had changed the perception of NI fans from bigots to fun-loving fair play winners.

I agree the turnout was not great, however as it was the first one and it went very well, I would hope for far better numbers this time around. I would imagine anyone who went the first time would want to go again.

Cheers mate, had never heard of it before and the little detail on there website didn’t really explain what it was, I presumed it was a new campaign from them to replace the “we deserve better” stuff (maybe gerspride would have been a better name for the campaign) didn’t realise this was an annual event……

It's not an annual event as the last one was 2 years ago, but certainly it was very good.

It's good that they have organised another one.

Edit - well done on the Erskine initative as well.

Excellent, excatly the type of thigs the trust should be doing...

As an aside what is gerspride ?

It's a conference taking place on 14th November looking at different aspects of our Club, culture, heritage, future etc.

A good chance then for everybody who can make it to get off the internet and into some real-life discussions with fellow Bears and informative speakers!

New people who haven't come along to anything in the past are especially welcome.

Go on, you know you want to!!!!

(sorry mdfd/cotw for continuing the thread-hijacking :D)

Well done to the RST for this initiative and also to MFDM and his associates for their poppy badge appeal and other work collecting much needed money for the Erskine appeal. A fantastic cause on behalf of our nation's finest.

GCL, I attended the last Gerspride conference and a very informative and interesting day it was.

Obviously COTW will let you know if you can attend without being a RST member, which I would imagine you could as although the event is run by the trust, it is really for all Rangers fans IMO.

The last time round, the speakers were the local MP Ian Davidson, a guy from Hamburg telling us about their fans-owned club and museum, and a prof from Aberdeen (If I remember correctly) who gave a brilliant talk on the media and their deliberate slanting of the agenda in defence of anything timmy and slating anything Prod/Rangers.

I printed off my ticket application form yesterday and will ensure I get my ticket for this, and I am hoping it is well attended and can be as informative as the last one.

BTW, if COTW is looking in, can I get a ticket at the RST AGM this weekend or should I just post it?

The tickets aren't printed yet so just bring the form along on Sunday.

C.

great to hear that rst are helping our heroes to attend games

on a side note i met the alloa chairman in stuttgart and he was telling me they contacted the scottish press about theyre involvement with the armed forces

they are the only club in scotland(maybe uk) that allow all armed forces into theyre home games so well done mr hopkins and i hope your club gets the success this season it deserves