Footballers who didn't fulfill their talent/wasted it

Butragueno

He's not the best at nurturing players from the very first step, but once you get a young lad with a bit of experience and know-how, then there's no-one better (that we could realistically afford) than Smith at making them great.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not the best at nurturing players from the very first step, but once you get a young lad with a bit of experience and know-how, then there's no-one better (that we could realistically afford) than Smith at making them great.

The thing is though, i actually don't think Riordan needed that much nurturing. Well he did, but any manager worth their salt would have ironed out his kinks.

He needed someone with a bit of backbone who would have kept him on the straight and narrow. If he got his head sorted, the rest of the jigsaw would have fell into place. Smith would have sorted his antics off the park right out, IMO.

Robinho to a certain extent, although he has played for Real madrid. Tipped as the future of football, hasn't happened

He's a fucking certainty to replace Henry on the left of Guardiola's front three.

I can't believe it personally, I just can't see it with him.

Gotta agree, I thought if we had managed to grab Riordan before he joined them then he would have been cracking for us. Was it Big Eck who tried and sign him and had a bid turned down?

You can't help but point out the troubles Brown and Riordan had at Celtic under Strachan in comparisson to Thomson and Whittaker under Smith.

As for unfulfilled potential;

Dundee United's very own: Danny Cadamarteri.

Willo Flood and Lee Croft burst onto the scene at Man City and were built up by the media but severely flopped.

Albert Luque.

Jean-Alain Boumsong.

Harry Kewell.

Michael Bridges.

Francis Jeffers.

Alberto Luque :(

I could cry (if I was indeed a bufty) at how he's been wasted.

I remember his younger days at Malaga and Deportivo and just how good he actually was back then.

And since it's a La Liga moment, that loveable Uruguayan nutcase Javier Chevanton. If he'd managed to steer clear of injury, he'd have been a terrific player. He was a frightening prospect at his peak.

Guest SandyWaTp
Robinho to a certain extent, although he has played for Real madrid. Tipped as the future of football, hasn't happened

He's a fucking certainty to replace Henry on the left of Guardiola's front three.

Barcelona could do better :anguish:

As the quote now goes 'arrived as the new Pele, left as the new Denilson'.

Robinho is the absolute worst type of footballer, on so many levels. I'm not even exagerrating here, but he did not put in 1 performance for Real Madrid at any of the big arenas, be it the Camp Nou/Mestalla or Pizjuan.

His debut against Cadiz was the best i've ever seen at the Bernabeu, it was that good, but after that.. nothing. Also, if there was a footballing award for "most pointless skill" the Robinho stepover would win it.

Barca have been heavily linked with Luis Suarez, Robinho isn't even half the player that he is.

Robinho is the absolute worst type of footballer, on so many levels. I'm not even exagerrating here, but he did not put in 1 performance for Real Madrid at any of the big arenas, be it the Camp Nou/Mestalla or Pizjuan.

His debut against Cadiz was the best i've ever seen at the Bernabeu, it was that good, but after that.. nothing. Also, if there was a footballing award for "most pointless skill" the Robinho stepover would win it.

Barca have been heavily linked with Luis Suarez, Robinho isn't even half the player that he is.

:lol:

The one where he just stands still for about four seconds, before Rafa Marquez sends him into the stand? It's so funny.

Guest SandyWaTp

The one where he just stands still for about four seconds, before Rafa Marquez sends him into the stand? It's so funny.

Luis Suarez, on the other hand :praise:

It's a ridiculous move, the most fruitless thing ever.

This article sums up the pointlessness of Robinho.

I wouldn't say he's horrific, but he does fall into the vastly over rated bracket. I'm wondering how many of these unfulfilled potentials are just too over hyped? Robinho is surely one for the overhyped bracket anyway.

Sergei Rebrov.

And since we were on a La Liga/Sevilla moment, Alexander Kerzhakov.

I wouldn't say he's horrific, but he does fall into the vastly over rated bracket. I'm wondering how many of these unfulfilled potentials are just too over hyped? Robinho is surely one for the overhyped bracket anyway.

Sergei Rebrov.

And since we were on a La Liga/Sevilla moment, Alexander Kerzhakov.

Kerzhakov's not too bad. Just a get what you see striker really, nothing too fancy but he does a turn. He's suffering badly at the minute because he's playing for one of the worst teams in Russia. Dinamo really are bad beyond comprehension.

Guest SandyWaTp
Mark Kerr, a beast in champ man in the olden days. :pipe:

Fuck yeah. I used to go looking for cheats for the game. He would always appear as a star player :pierre: :praise:

Not his fault but Ian Durrant on his day pre injury was as good a midfielder as there

was in europe !! Also think Cassano has let himself down although looks to be making a go

of it now !!