Why Rangers are so important to me...

cooper1989

First, I'm not nearly as old as this post sounds.... in my 40's. I grew up a Rangers supporter, always have been. But, for me -- as with many of you -- Rangers are more than a Football club. It is a way of life, something to believe in. Here's my (wee) take -- as it were.

Times change. I hate it personally. I wish Bill Struth was still manager, I wish we could all write letters to each other instead of emails, I wish the Television had never been invented. I wish for the days of lifting wee boys over the turnstiles so they could see the game, I wish my Granda was still here, I wish my Mom was still here, and...I wish my Missus didn't die of cancer at 35.

We all have things we turn to I suppose. My 'religion' is Rangers and Scotland. I finally sleep well at night. I did the best I could, but that couldn't save her. The very best I had was nothing compared to what she was up against. When 'people' told me that things happened -- or happen -- for a reason, I simply look the other way. What reason was there that she died?

Did it feed the hungry? Did it clothe the homeless? It did nothing other than bring sadness to me and my family.

That is why my 'religion'is Rangers and Scotland. It is something I can believe in.

First, I'm not nearly as old as this post sounds.... in my 40's. I grew up a Rangers supporter, always have been. But, for me -- as with many of you -- Rangers are more than a Football club. It is a way of life, something to believe in. Here's my (wee) take -- as it were.

Times change. I hate it personally. I wish Bill Struth was still manager, I wish we could all write letters to each other instead of emails, I wish the Television had never been invented. I wish for the days of lifting wee boys over the turnstiles so they could see the game, I wish my Granda was still here, I wish my Mom was still here, and...I wish my Missus didn't die of cancer at 35.

We all have things we turn to I suppose. My 'religion' is Rangers and Scotland. I finally sleep well at night. I did the best I could, but that couldn't save her. The very best I had was nothing compared to what she was up against. When 'people' told me that things happened -- or happen -- for a reason, I simply look the other way. What reason was there that she died?

Did it feed the hungry? Did it clothe the homeless? It did nothing other than bring sadness to me and my family.

That is why my 'religion'is Rangers and Scotland. It is something I can believe in.

good post mate im like you. (tu)

My heart goes out to you Coop. I don't know if I could have coped with your problems.

I have lived overseas for 25 years now. I am fortunate enough to have a good job that pays very well. For the past 16 years I've made my home in Orlando Florida. I'm in my 50's but lucky enough that both my parents (well into their 80's) are fit enough to travel over from Scotland every year. I get regular visits from family and friends (6 are coming over in June to stay with me and take in the NARSA convention). The only tangable thing that keeps me going back regularly is the Rangers. I go back to take in 4-6 games a season and when back in Orlando nothing stops me from going to our RSC to see the games. The Rangers are the only thing that I truely miss.

Thanks mates... appreciate the kind words.

My point is simply that the GERS were here before me (and my missus) and will be here after I've gone as well. They truly are somethng to hold onto. Some people don't understand this -- but I was sure pretty much almost everyone on this board does. My RSC here is like family to me and I am to them. The one thing I love about Gers fans is we stick together -- we are always for each other. I truly love that.

I live in Toronto now and try to get home at least once per year. I will retire in Scotland. I miss it.

ok, so much for the melancholy. Now looking forward to the game tomorrow and of course Ossasuna (who Hearts humped 2-0 in a pre-season btw). And... Gers vs Tic on my B'day. Would love us to gub them!

Cheers Bears! We are the People!