Coisty on Boyd staying, him improving, breaking records & his

Boab

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: 07 Jan 2010

IT stands as the most prized feat of Ally McCoist's stellar career.

A club record 355 goals for his beloved Rangers.

It's a mark which could well stand for all time. But it's one which Coisty reckons Kris Boyd has in his sights.

And one the Gers No2 wants Boyd to break if he extends his stay at Ibrox.

McCoist said: "It would be unfair of me to say he will or won't beat my record. I'd never put that pressure on him or anyone else.

"What I would say is in his generation he's the finest finisher around.

"There's no one to compare with him when it comes to putting the ball in the net. Quite simply, Kris is the best in the business.

"Would I be happy to see him break the record? That's a cheeky question!

"But if he stayed at Rangers I'd be happy for him to do it because if he broke records you would be guaranteed that Rangers were winning just about everything."

Coisty knows Middlesbrough have spoken to Boyd's agent about a move south.

Birmingham are also keeping the Scotland striker - who has 120 Gers goals - on their transfer radar.

But McCoist hasn't given up hope that his ex-Kilmarnock team-mate will stay at Ibrox.

And he insists if he was in Boyd's boots he'd happily carry on wearing that Light Blue No9 jersey.

He revealed: "There have been one or two inquiries, as you would expect for someone as prolific at putting the ball in the net.

"But it would be a massive blow if Kris decided to go and play his football elsewhere.

"Kris is fantastic for Rangers and Rangers have been great for Kris.

"If it was me, I would stay - but that's just me speaking."

McCoist knows Boyd could pocket more cash by moving to England or overseas. But he also knows the player could earn lifelong hero status by staying put.

He said: "You can't put a price on that status, but you don't know what will happen tomorrow.

"If Kris took the Rangers avenue and that's how it worked out it would be a fairytale and brilliant for everybody.

"But there are other avenues open to him. The only one who can make that decision is Kris.

"It's safe to say if he stayed here and scored goals, there's no one to equal him."

Ibrox chief Martin Bain is scheduled to open contract negotiations with Boyd's agent in the next few days.

McCoist admitted: "I haven't given Kris the sales pitch for a couple of reasons. It's not needed as he knows we don't want him to go. From that point of view the decision is his.

"It's a heck of a decision to make, but he'll make it in the knowledge I don't want him to go and neither do the other coaches.

"His decision will come from the heart and the head.

"I don't know the finances or what the club will offer him and it's not my business what others offer him, so I can't comment.

"Financially he would be better off moving. I don't think I'm out of order saying that.

"But he has other things to consider as he has a young family to think about.

"It's not an easy choice, but I hope it's the right one for everyone."

In his playing heyday, McCoist conducted his own contract negotiations with club owner David Murray.

He said: "I was never close to leaving as I didn't want to.

"Kris has a chance to earn a right few quid for himself.

"In my time, we made an income, but not as much as today. But I never fancied moving because I was happy at Rangers.

"I hope his feelings for Rangers are like mine. I do know he has a genuine feeling for the club.

"He has a great affinity with the fans and you have to take that into account.

"That's worth considering as the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Kris has a lot of things going for him at Rangers."

Super Ally can sympathise with fans who fear losing Boyd. But he insists Gers could have done NOTHING more to secure the striker any earlier. He said: "I can understand the supporters being disappointed.

"But the fans have to realise things are out of the management's hands.

"When was the last time we signed a player? Maybe 18 months ago? That stat tells a story."

Boyd will lead the line on Sunday as Gers kick off the defence of the Scottish Cup away to Hamilton.

Ironically, he was banished from Murray Park following a cup tie against Accies last season. Boss Walter Smith wasn't happy with the striker's attitude after a sub appearance.

But McCoist added: "If you look at Kris right now you see a different player.

"He realises there's more to the game than putting the ball in the net. His link-up play has been terrific this season. Some would also argue his work rate has improved."

But McCoist believes Boyd's natural allegiance to Rangers and the opportunity to add to the silverware he has already won with the club will persuade him to sign the new contract currently being negotiated with his agent.

Click here to play our SPL predictor

"Financially, Kris would be better off moving," said McCoist. "I don't think I'm out of order saying that. Right now, he is only exercising his right to consider staying at the club or looking at other offers.

"He has the chance to earn a right few quid for himself. When I was playing for Rangers, it was different. We made a really good income which compared with England or elsewhere. Obviously it is different now.

"Kris has other things to think about. He has a young family to consider. His decision will come from the heart and the head. I don't know the finances of what the club has offered him, that's none of my business. Only he can make his choice, but a wee part of him will wonder if he could take his talent to England, France or wherever and be a success. It's a big decision to make, but I know he will make it in the knowledge that I don't want him to go and neither do the other coaches.

"I know Kris has genuine feelings for Rangers. He also has a great affinity with the fans and you have to take that into account. It's worth considering, because the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

"You can't put a price on becoming a Rangers legend. If Kris takes the Rangers avenue and it works out that way, it would be a fairytale for him and brilliant for everybody at the club."

http://sport.scotsman.com/rangersfc/Kris-B...h-up.5961857.jp

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...vice-Boydy.html

I don't really 'listen' to what Ally says, without being disrespectful.

It's always the media-friendly soundbite he gives, probably as a result of his extensive media training.

I'm never sure that there's much meaning behind it.