Points of view

Bergy

Took a nosey through some threads and there is an awfull lot of animosity towards Ireland.

99.9% I'd imagine to do with Celtic but there are a fair few Irish Rangers fans. Indeed Rangers Youth Coach is Alan Kernaghan. Ireland international Alan Maybury is said to be a Rangers fan, and Killian Brennan and Joe Lapira had trial with Gers also.

I'm an Irish a Catholic and I have nothing but admiration towards Rangers and it's history and achievements - it's a great Club.

Why is there the bad feeling? Not all Irish are Celtic fans btw. I think it's hyped up more than anything due to their (Celtic) history and support.

im scottish a protestant and i have nothing but admiration towards Rangers and it's history and achievements..

but if i was Irish and a Catholic i would still have nothing but admiration towards Rangers and it's history and achievements but referees ,naw i would hate them tbh.. :lol:

If your refering to the France/Ireland game well I dont really have any complaints. We had our chances, didnt take them and some Ireland fans are using a handball as an excuse. We got a lucky penalty earlier in qualifiying, in Paris we didnt - thats the way things go.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in the Republic of Ireland many times, and was surprised at first by the lack of Celtic fans. I thought the place would be crawling with them, as we are led to believe that they are the Irish club, thousands of Irish fans etc. But the reality is different. Celtic gear is mostly worn by neds and chavs down there - I read some articles about them in an Irish magazine that slated the Celtic fans, calling the Celtic shirt the "uniform of the pikey" :lol:

But I would like to ask you Bergy, why the animosity towards Rangers in the republic? The majority of the football fans aren't Celtic fans, yet in my experience when you mention being a Rangers supporter to from down south, they tend to flinch, and look at me as if I've just pissed in their pint. I've said above that the people of Ireland weren't like I expected them to be (ie. Nothing like nationalists in NI or the celtic fans in Scotland), yet I still did not feel able to wear a rangers shirt in public without getting hassle, even from seemingly normal, non violent people. Why would that be?

You're right Bergy. I've met alot of Southern Irish people while i've been abroad and most support premiership teams and don't care about Celtic as much as everyone might think.

Well they might not support smeltic but most are IRA sympfiers, or any other type of republican scum there is.

I meet a crowd from cork onetime in holidays all supported english teams, until i told them im a Rangers fan then they where celtic supporters strange that init, they started singing roy keane songs he was at smeltic at the time and keane being from cork an all that i just got up with my girlfriend and walked out of the pub.

Never trust who your chating too.

But I would like to ask you Bergy, why the animosity towards Rangers in the republic? The majority of the football fans aren't Celtic fans, yet in my experience when you mention being a Rangers supporter to from down south, they tend to flinch, and look at me as if I've just pissed in their pint. I've said above that the people of Ireland weren't like I expected them to be (ie. Nothing like nationalists in NI or the celtic fans in Scotland), yet I still did not feel able to wear a rangers shirt in public without getting hassle, even from seemingly normal, non violent people. Why would that be?

I haven't witnessed any tbh. That is not to say there isn't any. In rural area's there may be hassel but I can guarantee there isn't as many Cltic fans as made out to be. In fact the town I live in would have more Arsenal fans than Celtic one's. And their would be a few Rangers fans as well.

I haven't witnessed any tbh. That is not to say there isn't any. In rural area's there may be hassel but I can guarantee there isn't as many Cltic fans as made out to be. In fact the town I live in would have more Arsenal fans than Celtic one's. And their would be a few Rangers fans as well.

Can i ask where your from.?

The North West. Why? I'm sure in many parts of Dublin, eastearn parts of Leinster and the border counties their will be numourous Gers Fans.

The North West. Why? I'm sure in many parts of Dublin, eastearn parts of Leinster and the border counties their will be numourous Gers Fans.

Well im from the north west of Northern Ireland what planet you on O sorry what part or town, village, so on

Im from Northern Ireland and ive been in the south many times and from my experiences Celtic fans are everywhere.

I was in Sligo when Celtic won the title in the late 90s and every other person was wearing Celtic shirts etc.

Manchester Utd have a huge following in Ireland but most irish people north and south follow rangers or celtic as a 2nd team.

I believe the south is 99% catholic and the majority do follow celtic (even as a 2nd team).

Im from Northern Ireland and ive been in the south many times and from my experiences Celtic fans are everywhere.

I was in Sligo when Celtic won the title in the late 90s and every other person was wearing Celtic shirts etc.

Manchester Utd have a huge following in Ireland but most irish people north and south follow rangers or celtic as a 2nd team.

I believe the south is 99% catholic and the majority do follow celtic (even as a 2nd team).

Exactully mate, where is this boy from i'd love to know.?

Well im from the north west of Northern Ireland what planet you on O sorry what part or town, village, so on

We are now moving off subject if your asking were I'm from etc. The thread was started by myself in good faith asking yourselves there was animosity towards Ireland.

Well you're more likely to know than me since you live there. I think we have a reputation in Ireland, it could be our unionist, protestant stuff, I think some people in Ireland will here about the troubles and will see on Irish news and read in the Irish newspapers about "loyalist thugs attacking innocent catholics...blah, blah, blah" (That is without fail what it reports everytime I've seen it lol), and stuff like that and will probably associate that with us. Much in the same way that many Rangers fans see the celtic fans waving tricolours, singing IRA songs and booing war-heroes, and associate it with the people of Ireland in general. It's a bit sad really I suppose.

I would love us to have a couple of ROI Rangers fans in the team (not bloody Alan Maybury though!).

Celtic definitely became much more 'Plastic Paddy-ised' when Fergus McCann took charge, and they would not be able to stomach an Irish bear. He would be another Mojo to them.

Wrong! Its not 99% Catholic. Its 85% Catholic.

I see you can't answer, you must be a Celtic fan from Glasgow.?

Who can't name a Irish town or village.

Don't insult me please! I'm a Gooner!

50_invincibles_682x_762836a.jpg

You still haven't said where you are from, it dosnt hurt ffs.

I see you can't answer, you must be a Celtic fan from Glasgow.?

Who can't name a Irish town or village.

Don't insult me please! I'm a Gooner!

50_invincibles_682x_762836a.jpg

just name the town/village your from then?

Anyone who has lived in Ireland for the past 30 years knows it's never a good idea to give away to much information to anyone! tongue.gif

We are now moving off subject if your asking were I'm from etc. The thread was started by myself in good faith asking yourselves there was animosity towards Ireland.

I have no animosity with Ireland.

The majority of irish citizens are good, honest and friendly people regardless of their religious beliefs or political views.

However there is a minority how support the IRA and other such movements and I hate everything about them and what they stand for.

I have no animosity with Ireland.

The majority of irish citizens are good, honest and friendly people regardless of their religious beliefs or political views.

However there is a minority who support the IRA and other such movements and I hate everything about them and what they stand for.

The Arsenal thread was fine, but this one stinks.

Forgetting about that country's claim to Ulster and their collusion with the IRA...........

Ask the Republican cunts who were launching missiles from the flats when we played Bohemians.

Ask your Garda who were intent on injuring as many 'Orange bastards' as they could, even getting on buses to do so.

Ask the people of Dundalk who took out every fucking window on every bus.

Maybe he doesn't want to tell people on an internet forum where he's from, nothing wrong with that.

A lot of bad feeling is to do with Celtic fans thinking and pretending to be Irish. You won't see any Saltires at Parkhead but if you go to Easter Road in Edinburgh you'll notice an Irish club called Hibs whose fans aren't afraid to wave both flags.