Gordon Smith

MisterC

Really enjoyed that story as well Mister C, and can certainly agree with the sentiment behind it.

It does look as if the current squad has a few that can only really get themselves "motivated" for certain games, and go through the motions for certain others. One in particular comes to mind, and is perhaps explained by the fact he is not a Rangers "fan", merely an employee working for the employer offering the highest wages rather than the employer he wants to work for who could only afford about 1/6th of the money he gets here.

Having met him as well, it really did come over that he has no real love for the club, is a passionate supporter of another club, all his mates are also fans of a certain other club. He will of course give his best, but sometimes in the smaller games I get the impression he is not really all that motivated.

I think he is one Wallace would like to have had as a player, but would not have accepted his attitude, and would either have knocked him into shape or got rid of him.

Jock Wallace was before my time but from what I have read and heard he took no shit and did not suffer fools gladly. I think I know who you are referring to there as well TB and have to agree, lets just say if we were offered silly money for him, I would not miss him much.

Who are u both refering to may I ask?

I can't help thinking of Kyle lafferry for sum reason but I'm sure he's a trueblue(I may be wrong)

Think he was on about Thomson and I had to agree

really? That does surprise me tbh, especially as a couple of wks ago he wanted to sign an extension

Aye but if he likes being able to take part in European compeitition and winning trophies, who else is he gonna go to? Its not like any of the big English are breaking down the door to sign him.

Really enjoyed that story as well Mister C, and can certainly agree with the sentiment behind it.

It does look as if the current squad has a few that can only really get themselves "motivated" for certain games, and go through the motions for certain others. One in particular comes to mind, and is perhaps explained by the fact he is not a Rangers "fan", merely an employee working for the employer offering the highest wages rather than the employer he wants to work for who could only afford about 1/6th of the money he gets here.

Having met him as well, it really did come over that he has no real love for the club, is a passionate supporter of another club, all his mates are also fans of a certain other club. He will of course give his best, but sometimes in the smaller games I get the impression he is not really all that motivated.

I think he is one Wallace would like to have had as a player, but would not have accepted his attitude, and would either have knocked him into shape or got rid of him.

Jock Wallace was before my time but from what I have read and heard he took no shit and did not suffer fools gladly. I think I know who you are referring to there as well TB and have to agree, lets just say if we were offered silly money for him, I would not miss him much.

Who are u both refering to may I ask?

I can't help thinking of Kyle lafferry for sum reason but I'm sure he's a trueblue(I may be wrong)

Think he was on about Thomson and I had to agree

really? That does surprise me tbh, especially as a couple of wks ago he wanted to sign an extension

Aye but if he likes being able to take part in European compeitition and winning trophies, who else is he gonna go to? Its not like any of the big English are breaking down the door to sign him.

i personally think its Miller he's reffering to, especilly as Miller has played for the tims as well, so hes a professional, who supports another team (hibs) has grown up with all his mates as Hibbie's and has came through their youth ranks, i im thinking Miller rather than Thomson

At the legends dinner he came up on stage and said a few words and even conceded that he wasnt a Rangers great or indeed a legend but he knew what it was like to play for the team he loved. Anyway, to get to the punchline, he recounted the story of how Jock Wallace was speaking to the press and there was a one reporter who kept asking him how he motivated the players. Eventually he got pissed off and said 'I go round the dressing room and I find out who needs motivated, then I get rid of the bastard!' Smith agreed with those sentiments and I did as well, players that play for the club should need no motivation, the fact they are playing for Rangers in front of 50000 every other week is motivation enough. I know if I played for Rangers I wouldnt need any motivating but there have been too many in recent years who have. I dont need to name names and there are some in the present squad who should be taking a long look at themselves in the mirror (and not just for posing purposes) and should remember who they are playing for and up their game and attitude accordingly.

A bygone age sad to say, just wouldn work today

Just a thought would he have the same attitude to the supporters - ie " if they need motivating -get rid of the bastards"

Hmm... makes you think doesn't it! :sherlock:

i personally think its Miller he's reffering to, especilly as Miller has played for the tims as well, so hes a professional, who supports another team (hibs) has grown up with all his mates as Hibbie's and has came through their youth ranks, i im thinking Miller rather than Thomson

Its a good shout, never thought of Miller and he is someone who has been with a fair few clubs and doesnt always give the impression he cares enough.

its definately thomson ive heard this from a few people inside ibrox thats the guy who went to watch hibs/hearts

rather than us against the tims! unbelievable would leave us at the drop of a hat for a few dollars more

would love him to leave the most overrated player at ibrox

its definately thomson ive heard this from a few people inside ibrox thats the guy who went to watch hibs/hearts

rather than us against the tims! unbelievable would leave us at the drop of a hat for a few dollars more

would love him to leave the most overrated player at ibrox

I had heard something along those lines too, might even have been TB who posted about it.

Didn't think smith actually supported us

He certainly does mate. I've had the pleasure of meeting and spending some time with Smith when he was a guest speaker of the Shetland RSC (where I was the secretary). He is 100% a Rangers man, and it was a pleasure to spend time with him and his wife. A true gentleman (tu)

I too have met him, pre SFA appointment - he attended a function for the Barcelona Bears in Aidrie. He spoke fondly of his time at Ibrox, of the tactical awareness /motivational brilliance of Mr Wallace & it was a pleasure spending time in his company. He was also very well received by the 300+ in attendance

It was clear that he had an affection for our great club and was proud to have played for the club

I sat next to Smith on a flight once. Absolute gentleman and 100% Rangers. He sees through the horrible man that is John Greig too.

I could mention another 'ambassador' for the club who isnt the most pleasant of chaps.

I could mention another 'ambassador' for the club who isnt the most pleasant of chaps.

Jardine per chance? Another Edinburgh knob with no childhood love of the club.

Interesting fact but John Greig when he was sacked bad mouthed the club enough to put Alex Ferguson off taking the job.

Jardine per chance? Another Edinburgh knob with no childhood love of the club.

Interesting fact but John Greig when he was sacked bad mouthed the club enough to put Alex Ferguson off taking the job.

I doubt Sir Furious would have taken the job anyway as I think he knew he would be heading to England once he was done at Aberdeen. Jardine wasnt the friendliest to one of the guys I was with when he asked him for a pic on Saturday night and he has past form on being offhand with fans.

I doubt Sir Furious would have taken the job anyway as I think he knew he would be heading to England once he was done at Aberdeen. Jardine wasnt the friendliest to one of the guys I was with when he asked him for a pic on Saturday night and he has past form on being offhand with fans.

Jardine and Greig served the club well as players , since their playing careers have ended they have been disgraceful employees with records that would see them sacked anywhere else.