Understanding Sectarianism in Scotland - Part 1

<p style="text-align: justify;">Composer James MacMillan’s words in 1999 kick-started the debate. Sectarianism, he argued, was ‘Scotland’s Shame’. Anti-Catholicism was rife and the Scottish people were ignoring it. Much media coverage, a number of academic studies and over 10 years later, MacMillan reiterated his point during a speech in later 2009, where he insisted that anti-Catholic sectarianism was still an embarrassment to Scotland.gers01.jpg

View the full article

Guest therabbitt

Excellently written - looking forward to the rest of the series. (tu)

I believe the 2nd and 3rd installments will be published on Monday and Wednesday, with the entire research (including all the boring bits) being available for download soon. (tu)

This.

Good work mate.

I've recently came to the belief that these new "anti-sectarian" campaigners actually are correct, but not in the way they claim and only by virtue of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In other words, their imagined sectarianism is blamed, by them, to be caused by the wider society's bigotry. In the absence of that bigotry, they are projecting their prejudices against the wider society-in this case, Protestants and Rangers.

Ultimately, the bigotry they experience is their own, just misattributed to others who don't deserve the tag. In return, the wider community become sceptical and dismissive, which only reinforces the delusional belief in the self-proclaimed "victims" that society is prejudiced against them and is merely covering it up, or so blinded by this alleged bigotry that they cannot see it.

Thus the vicious circle is complete and their minds are closed within that circle. Sudden realisations as to the facts are highly unlikely at this point, since they have invested so much of their lives into this delusion.

Nice read.

McMillan may well be a talented composer,but he

is also a rabid sectarian bigotted terrorist lover.

A fine example of our sectarian schooling system!!!.

I can only assume by his silence, on the matter, that

McMillan regards the rape & abuse on endless counts of

fellow catholic children,lies well behind to the FTP brigade.

Here's James bhoys' attempt at glorifying the death of a terrorist

who was shot dead,by one of two policemen whom they were attempting

to murder.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/composer-celtic-fans-should-feel-free-to-sing-republican-songs-james-macmillan-claims-sectarianism-rules-out-pride-in-irish-roots-1.59615

<p style="text-align: justify;">Composer James MacMillan’s words in 1999 kick-started the debate. Sectarianism, he argued, was ‘Scotland’s Shame’. Anti-Catholicism was rife and the Scottish people were ignoring it. Much media coverage, a number of academic studies and over 10 years later, MacMillan reiterated his point during a speech in later 2009, where he insisted that anti-Catholic sectarianism was still an embarrassment to Scotland.gers01.jpg

View the full article

I'd like to read parts 2 & 3 before commenting, as it would be unfair to do otherwise.

Good work mate.

I've recently came to the belief that these new "anti-sectarian" campaigners actually are correct, but not in the way they claim and only by virtue of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In other words, their imagined sectarianism is blamed, by them, to be caused by the wider society's bigotry. In the absence of that bigotry, they are projecting their prejudices against the wider society-in this case, Protestants and Rangers.

Ultimately, the bigotry they experience is their own, just misattributed to others who don't deserve the tag. In return, the wider community become sceptical and dismissive, which only reinforces the delusional belief in the self-proclaimed "victims" that society is prejudiced against them and is merely covering it up, or so blinded by this alleged bigotry that they cannot see it.

Thus the vicious circle is complete and their minds are closed within that circle. Sudden realisations as to the facts are highly unlikely at this point, since they have invested so much of their lives into this delusion.

That's a very astute observation.

Nice read.

McMillan may well be a talented composer,but he

is also a rabid sectarian bigotted terrorist lover.

A fine example of our sectarian schooling system!!!.

I can only assume by his silence, on the matter, that

McMillan regards the rape & abuse on endless counts of

fellow catholic children,lies well behind to the FTP brigade.

Here's James bhoys' attempt at glorifying the death of a terrorist

who was shot dead,by one of two policemen whom they were attempting

to murder.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/composer-celtic-fans-should-feel-free-to-sing-republican-songs-james-macmillan-claims-sectarianism-rules-out-pride-in-irish-roots-1.59615

McMillan is lowlife, of that there is little doubt, but I was led to believe he attended a non denominational school?

Hi Kev wonderful disertation and looking forward to reading the rest just one picky point however, the last line comment I could agrue against

it is NOT Protestantism v Catholisism, it is Protestantism v Roman Catholisism. The Church of Scotland

and Presbyterian beliefs are still based upon a form of catholisism. There are two other distinct groups within Christianity,

Orthodox and Evangelical. It has always appeared to me the most vocal opponents of Protestantism and Roman Catholisism in Scotland

for each side are people who are in church or chappel 3 times, baptism, marriage and funeral. Jumping the gun I am expecting your

conclussions to show that this is much more of a rivalry between two football clubs than true religious sectarianism, I wonder if you

also addresses differences between sectarianism and bigotry.

Cheers

WATP

We should not even read any 'sectarian this, sectarian that' articles. I simply do not care -- and we are -- and always will be tarred with a brush that is not deserved.

I don't care how well 'written' it is. There is only ONE thing that matters in 2010 (and last time I checked, it ain't 1690 anymore), is this...

• Win the SPL
  • Be competitive in the CL, And... if we do not qualify for the last 16 then,
  • Win the Europa.

Fuck sectarianism. Fuck religion. You know what? "Organized religion is the Devil's perfect storm". So Fuck King Billy, Fuck the Pope, Fuck Jesus too

1 thing folks... The Rangers. Nothing else.