Rangers Traditions

minstral

Our club were happy to be known as the Protestant club and have lived of that fact for generations. We even allowed the Orange Order to use our ground for their sunday service every year. Then along came Murray and put a stop to it because he knew nothing about our history or culture, and wanted to appease the media and press.

Before Rangers was known as a Protestant club it was known as a club founded by some boys in a park. Things change.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do you know that the boys in the park were not religious.

I didn't suggest for a moment that they weren't. However, I'm fairly confident that they didn't sit down on the grass and say "you know what, we should start a football team and it will be the football team for protestants and we will have unshakeable traditions grounded in protestantism and we'll only field 11 protestants". They probably just wanted to play some football.

Before Rangers was known as a Protestant club it was known as a club founded by some boys in a park. Things change.

And we only became the Protestant club by default. If Queens Park had abandoned their amatuerism then it's likely that they would have become the biggest rivals to Celtic.

I actually find it very insulting when people put down the protestant part of Rangers and try to play it down. The amount of good people who have defended Ulster and the Union who supported Rangers and died and so many people take it for granted.

Same for all our fallen people. We should never disrespect or down play the traditions of Rangers.

I didn't suggest for a moment that they weren't. However, I'm fairly confident that they didn't sit down on the grass and say "you know what, we should start a football team and it will be the football team for protestants and we will have unshakeable traditions grounded in protestantism and we'll only field 11 protestants". They probably just wanted to play some football.

I never suggested they sat down and and said that they would play 11 Protestants, all i am saying is we dont know what their religious views were.

And we only became the Protestant club by default. If Queens Park had abandoned their amatuerism then it's likely that they would have become the biggest rivals to Celtic.

TWB the fact is we did become the Protestant club even if as you suggest by default.

I never suggested they sat down and and said that they would play 11 Protestants, all i am saying is we dont know what their religious views were.

And I'm saying I fail to see the relevance of that point. The fact is, Rangers was not founded as any kind of religious institution. It became one. And even then, it was the support who brought the association, not the club.

No-one is saying Rangers didnt used to be a Protestant club, but it's not anymore. The majority of the fan base, the players, the owners, the staff, couldnt give a flying about the Protestant ways.

If you cant see that you might want to open your eyes, or read the bible.

Rangers tradition is that we are the utmost prestigious club in Scottish and British football.

Our tradition is of excellence, quality and the very best. This is exemplified in the trophies we have won, the players we have had, the clubs dress code and the grandeur of Ibrox Stadium, built with the finest materials and a monument of prestige in itself.

Our tradition is that WE ARE THE PEOPLE. This doesn't need explaining.

Our traditions is that our club is a bastion of Britishness, Unionist Scottishness, Unionism, Monarchism and Protestantism. These should not be ignored, but not be used to promote bigotry and sectarianism.

Great post (tu)

And I'm saying I fail to see the relevance of that point. The fact is, Rangers was not founded as any kind of religious institution. It became one.

I have never once said we were founded as a Protestant club, but as you say it became one as i have said on this board for years.

No-one is saying Rangers didnt used to be a Protestant club, but it's not anymore. The majority of the fan base, the players, the owners, the staff, couldnt give a flying about the Protestant ways.

I wonder what all those songs are that i hear every week, and you are right about the owner who care nothing for our support and traditions.

How do you know what the players think, have you spoken to them.

To clarify my own position, for whatever it's worth, I've said before that I value the traditions of the club. Even certain elements I consider to no longer have a place in society, specifically in sporting terms, I do not believe should be erased from history or considered shameful. Everything that has happened to this club has shaped its history and if I love the club I must respect its history. What I do not believe, however, is that the principle purpose of the club is to promulgate any kind of agenda other than winning football games, and I do not accept that those of us who do not consider it a great tragedy that the history of our club is in fact history are somehow selling out the club or that we are lesser supporters. I do not believe that the average Rangers supporter, whatever family he is born into, however staunchly protestant and unionist he might be, became a Rangers supporter because they represent protestantism and unionism. Most of us support them because our fathers did. Whether or not our fathers supported them for reasons of religion is besides the point. The only tradition that really matters is the inheritance of Rangers, with all of its history intrinsically wrapped up with it, as our beloved football club.

I wonder what all those songs are that i hear every week, and you are right about the owner who care nothing for our support and traditions.

Singing songs in a football ground now qualifies as religious observance? Come on. I sang the sash at Ibrox on saturday because I like the song and it's rousing. I haven't attended a church for about two years.

Singing songs in a football ground now qualifies as religious observance? Come on. I sang the sash at Ibrox on saturday because I like the song and it's rousing. I haven't attended a church for about two years.

Do you not have a prayer book at home.