So It Looks Like It's Paul Scholes' Turn

Don't get me wrong Scholes is a wonderful player, but the hype that he's been getting since the start of the season is borderline ridicilous.

Every pundit , journo and manager (Wenger apart) have also been bigging him like he's a raw 21 year old who is going to set The Premiership alight for the next decade or so.

I take it it's his turn to get the token Player Of The Year award ala Ryan Giggs two years ago?

If there is one player, in fact, two players I wouldn't begrudge winning that award, it's Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.

What's ridiculous is that two years ago was Giggs' first time and if Scholes win this season's, the same will apply to him. That's the real ridiculous thing.

If there is one player, in fact, two players I wouldn't begrudge winning that award, it's Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.

What's ridiculous is that two years ago was Giggs' first time and if Scholes win this season's, the same will apply to him. That's the real ridiculous thing.

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

The fact that they have needed to be given it almost as a "reward" for their contributions is quite sad, because both were good enough and showed the sort of form that should have seen them both win it on merit a decade or so ago.

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

The fact that they have needed to be given it almost as a "reward" for their contributions is quite sad, because both were good enough and showed the sort of form that should have seen them both win it on merit a decade or so ago.

(tu)

it is indeed a bit ridiculous. however, if he continues to play as well for the remainder of the season i can see no rerason why he shouldn't get it!

i doubt paul scholes will be able to sustain this form though...

Scholes is past his best, by a good few years now, but he has been a top performer for Man Utd for over a decade now, so I wouldn't begrudge him getting it. I doubt he will win it though - from what I've seen so far, it will be a Chelsea player who wins it.

I'm not going to jump on the Scholes bandwagon, but the the form he is in just now is brilliant. Rarely gives the ball away, and his passes are always pin point. I can see Drogba getting player of the year though.

The hype surrounding him after 2 games is ridiculous. Drogba scored 3 in the 1st game and set up 3 in the 2nd and there's been nowhere near the same praise for him.

His cross for Kalou's header was sublime.

To be honest it's the same sort of thing last season when big Davie Weir got one of the awards when Steve Davis was quite clearly the best player in Scotland last season

When Giggs won it, he had played 12 games and scored 1 goal the whole league season. Sir David played every minute of league football and is older :praise:

It's funny how Drogba seems to get overlooked for such praise. Obviously down to his attitude, temper, reputation and the fact he's not English.

Last season he scored more leage goals than Rooney in less games, won the Golden Boot but was barely mentioned for player fo the season.

Get real

he's fucking class

head and shoulders above anyone in England in central midfield

Scholes isn't head and shoulders above Steven Gerrard.

He's played well for two games this season. I remember a few years ago when Liverpool were half decent and Gerrard used to run rings around Scholes. Both superb players, but at 35, Paul Scholes is NOT a better player than Stevie G.

IMO 10 years ago Paul Scholes was a better player than what Steven Gerrard is now.

In fact 10 years ago Paul Scholes was one of the best midfielders in Europe.

I could maybe go with that.

I just remember some games (especially under Houllier and especially at Anfield) where Gerrard just bossed Scholes off the park.