Davie Weir for scotland

Rangers captain David Weir will today answer a Scotland SOS, with national boss Craig Levein ready to pitch the 40-year-old into the start of the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.

Sportsmail understands the Ibrox defender will be included in the squad to face Lithuania and Liechtenstein in our crucial opening double-header.

And now evergreen Weir is odds-on to win his 66th cap in Kaunas a week on Friday - almost 12 months after his last appearance under George Burley in a World Cup qualifying defeat against Holland.

Weir has steadfastly never called time on his international career and always maintained he would make himself available if asked to help out.

It is understood Levein duly decided to call on the Ibrox centre-half, with Gary Caldwell injured, Andy Webster lacking match fitness and concerns over Garry Kenneth's form.

Weir turned 40 at the end of last season following a campaign in which his displays earned him the Player of the Year award from the Scottish Football Writers' Association.

He signed a new deal for Rangers manager Walter Smith during the summer and Webster's lingering hamstring problem ensured Weir started the season alongside Madjid Bougherra.

The veteran hasn't been involved in either of Levein's two friendlies in charge but is now ready to answer the call in his country's hour of need.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1305585/Rangers-defender-David-Weir-ready-answer-Craig-Leveins-Scotland-SOS.html

i think scotland may need webster quicker than we think. surely big davie can only do so much.

I couldnt careless about The Scotland team , Rangers are my primary concern and as much as I am chuffed that Big Davie is being considered at his age , my worry would be the extra games and lack of recovery time that he would have also if he picks up an injury we could be in bother , Webster has his problems , Wilson now gone so a complete lack of cover .

Selfish yes , but then I believe we have to be where our team is concered :crabflute: