Tims go for signing number 12

RFC55

Celtic have been linked with a move for Nigerian international defender Danny Shittu.

It has been claimed Hoops manager Neil Lennon is interested in signing the stopper after his contract at Bolton was cancelled this week by mutual consent.

Lennon has made no secret of the fact he would have liked to have added another powerful centre-back to his squad during the transfer window.

But he might still have the option of adding Shittu to his ranks, as the 30-year-old stopper is a free agent and can sign for any interested club even though the window is now closed.

Shittu is currently away on international duty with Nigeria for their African Nations Cup qualifier against Madagascar on Sunday.

He is also being tracked by Leicester City, and is thought to be looking for around £20,000-a-week in wages. Clubs in France, Turkey and the Middle East are also keen on the stopper.

Old Firm rivals Rangers failed to land him from Watford two years ago when they couldn’t agree to his wage demands. Shittu said: “I believe quitting Bolton was the right step to take as I didn’t have options to play at Bolton.

“I wish the club all the best in the future and now I have to find myself a new club.

“I am now reviewing my options and there are quite a few sides interested in me from Europe and the Middle East.

“Hopefully I can announce where my future lies shortly after I return from international duty.”

Meanwhile, Celtic striker Gary Hooper has welcomed the arrival of Anthony Stokes and admitted the competition for places at Parkhead doesn’t scare him.

The £2.4m signing from Scunthorpe has missed Celtic’s last five matches after picking up an injury in a pre-season friendly against Blackburn Rovers.

In that time, Lennon has been busy recruiting new faces but Hooper says that will only bring out the best in him.

He said: “A lot of players have come in while I’ve been out injured but that doesn’t bother me.

“It just means it’s more competition for me. I have to pick my game up but that’s fine. I scored a few goals before I got injured and I’ve no doubts I can do a job for Celtic.”

Hooper gave Celtic fans a glimpse of what he’s all about with goals against Lyon and Braga.

The striker went on: “For the first two weeks I did nothing, then I started running again and hopefully next week I’ll be back training with the boys.

“It’s been difficult training on my own. I’d been stuck in a hotel as well but I’m set up at home and hopefully my injury problem is now behind me. Really, my Celtic career is starting now.”

A Bolton cast-off having the audacity to demand £20k per week. Sums up modern fitba to a tee.

Well if Lennon is stupid enough to pay it then fair play to the guy.

Senior career*

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

1999–2002 Charlton Athletic 0 (0)

2001 → Blackpool (loan) 17 (2)

2001 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 7 (1)

2002–2006 Queens Park Rangers 162 (16)

2006–2008 Watford 69 (8)

2008–2010 Bolton Wanderers 10 (0)

National team‡

2000– Nigeria 28 (0)

from wikipeida - wow. 10 starts for bolton in 2 years... He is also Nigerian - he wants £20k per week... reminds me of the nigerian scammers out there on this interweb! http://www.419eater.com/ hahaha