Students play world-record 57-hour match

Students at Leeds University have broken the world record for the longest ever football match after playing for an incredible 57 hours.

Two squads of 18, one from Leeds and one from Warwick University, faced off against each other in the contest meaning that each player had to play for about 29 hours.

The players were only allowed to have a five-minute break each hour and no squad members were allowed to leave the side of the pitch except for one player who was rushed to hospital with a suspected broken foot.

Leeds won the match 425-354.

It was the second time the university has broken the world record. They originally took it last year by playing for 36 hours but then a match was held in Qatar which lasted 42 hours.

They decided to try and reclaim the record to raise funds for the Meningitis Trust, in honour of former Leeds student Jamie Burdett who died of the disease three years ago.

"We're all absolutely exhausted. I think over the three days I got about three hours' sleep," organiser Simon Lynes told the Yorkshire Post.

"We were determined to shatter the current record and to restore some pride to English football by bringing the world record home."

Liverpool legend Ian Rush, who contracted meningitis aged five, also helped to promote the event.

"What the two teams have done is a fantastic achievement for English football and also the Meningitis Trust," he said.

"I am so proud of what they guys are doing, raising awareness of this awful disease but also raising vital funds."

<cr> crazy to do but amazing charity