‘Smith is up there with Jock Stein’ says Darren Fletcher

mmrfc1873

Don't know if this has been posted yet, can't see it anywhere but found this thought it was a good read.

“When you’re not doing a great deal and Manchester United ask you to come along then you’re more than happy to do so,” was how Walter Smith revealed he was to become Sir Alex Ferguson’s assistant at Old Trafford back in March 2004.

Smith had been out of work for two years – hard as that is to believe now – after being dismissed by Everton, and gratefully seized upon the chance to return to the training field, monitoring players as they went through their drills, planning for matches, and doing everything else that is usually expected of an assistant manager.

Smith stayed at United for just nine months before leaving for the Scotland job, but his impact and influence has not been forgotten by those who worked under him at that time. His stay at Old Trafford concided with Darren Fletcher’s breakthrough into the first team, the pair later reunited when Smith moved on to take charge of the national team.

Some managers with a reputation as formidable as Smith’s may have balked at the prospect of becoming a No.2, but Fletcher recalls being with a man thrilled to be back in working garb again and happy to return to basics.

The Celtic lads all go on about the night Nakamura scored. And that’s despite the fact we’ve beaten them since then

Darren Fletcher

“Walter came down and took the coaching sessions, setting up the cones and stuff like that,” said the midfielder who scored for Manchester United in the 3-3 draw against Everton on Saturday. “It’s things he doesn’t really do now – he more oversees it now – but when he was assistant at United his training sessions were great.

“He had this rule that you didn’t get fouls in training – he never awarded free-kicks. It was basically just a kicking match at training. The foreign players didn’t like it, but all the British lads absolutely loved it!

“But he made the transition from manager to assistant manager and was fantastic. He was the same when he was manager of Scotland. The results speak for themselves but the lads responded and played for him.”

Smith has decided to call it a day at the end of this season, too early in Fletcher’s eyes. And when it comes time to put together the tributes and eulogies to the Rangers manager, Fletcher believes Smith deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Ferguson, Jock Stein and the rest of the true Scottish managerial greats.

“I’ve obviously worked with Sir Alex at club level but Walter is a real top manager,” he added. “He’s definitely up with Alex and similar in style, along with what he’s achieved. He’s got a presence and that’s important for a manager.

“If you look at the success Walter has had he’s one of the best managers around. He’s another great Scottish manager in terms of the overall history of our game. In my eyes he deserves to be up there with Stein and people like that. What he’s achieved at Rangers is fantastic. I actually think he’s retiring too early but that’s his choice. Maybe he’ll change his mind, who knows.”

Retirement must still seem a long way off for Smith, however, given the challenges ahead of him in his final campaign. Most pressingly is a return to Old Trafford tomorrow evening when Rangers take on United in the opening Champions League group match.

The entirety of Fletcher’s senior career has been spent south of the border but he is still fully aware of what is at stake whenever Scottish and English clubs engage in competition.

“The fact that it’s a Scottish team against an English team makes it exciting for everyone. It’s more like a Premiership game than a European tie.

“The atmosphere is always fantastic at Old Trafford, Celtic Park and Ibrox. I speak about it a lot and the foreign lads in our dressing room absolutely love it. I’m not buying into the idea that it’s a foregone conclusion, either.

“I’ve seen Rangers play in Europe and they are difficult and hard to beat. On that UEFA Cup run [in 2008] they had some fantastic results along the way to the final. Having played under Walter Smith I also know how organised his teams are. I know what to expect and it’s going to be a really difficult game for us.”

Defeats to Scottish clubs are few and far between for a bona fide giant of world football, but when they happen, the United players are rarely allowed to forget about it. “I experienced losing to Celtic [in 2006] and I still don’t hear the end of it.

“The Celtic lads all go on about the night [shunsuke] Nakamura scored with the free-kick. And that’s despite the fact we’ve beaten them since then. That’s the only game they want to talk about. It’s why, although it’s great to play against Rangers or Celtic, it’s better to win.”

My link

Don't know if this has been posted yet, can't see it anywhere but found this thought it was a good read.

“When you’re not doing a great deal and Manchester United ask you to come along then you’re more than happy to do so,” was how Walter Smith revealed he was to become Sir Alex Ferguson’s assistant at Old Trafford back in March 2004.

Smith had been out of work for two years – hard as that is to believe now – after being dismissed by Everton, and gratefully seized upon the chance to return to the training field, monitoring players as they went through their drills, planning for matches, and doing everything else that is usually expected of an assistant manager.

Smith stayed at United for just nine months before leaving for the Scotland job, but his impact and influence has not been forgotten by those who worked under him at that time. His stay at Old Trafford concided with Darren Fletcher’s breakthrough into the first team, the pair later reunited when Smith moved on to take charge of the national team.

Some managers with a reputation as formidable as Smith’s may have balked at the prospect of becoming a No.2, but Fletcher recalls being with a man thrilled to be back in working garb again and happy to return to basics.

The Celtic lads all go on about the night Nakamura scored. And that’s despite the fact we’ve beaten them since then

Darren Fletcher

“Walter came down and took the coaching sessions, setting up the cones and stuff like that,” said the midfielder who scored for Manchester United in the 3-3 draw against Everton on Saturday. “It’s things he doesn’t really do now – he more oversees it now – but when he was assistant at United his training sessions were great.

“He had this rule that you didn’t get fouls in training – he never awarded free-kicks. It was basically just a kicking match at training. The foreign players didn’t like it, but all the British lads absolutely loved it!

“But he made the transition from manager to assistant manager and was fantastic. He was the same when he was manager of Scotland. The results speak for themselves but the lads responded and played for him.”

Smith has decided to call it a day at the end of this season, too early in Fletcher’s eyes. And when it comes time to put together the tributes and eulogies to the Rangers manager, Fletcher believes Smith deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Ferguson, Jock Stein and the rest of the true Scottish managerial greats.

“I’ve obviously worked with Sir Alex at club level but Walter is a real top manager,” he added. “He’s definitely up with Alex and similar in style, along with what he’s achieved. He’s got a presence and that’s important for a manager.

“If you look at the success Walter has had he’s one of the best managers around. He’s another great Scottish manager in terms of the overall history of our game. In my eyes he deserves to be up there with Stein and people like that. What he’s achieved at Rangers is fantastic. I actually think he’s retiring too early but that’s his choice. Maybe he’ll change his mind, who knows.”

Retirement must still seem a long way off for Smith, however, given the challenges ahead of him in his final campaign. Most pressingly is a return to Old Trafford tomorrow evening when Rangers take on United in the opening Champions League group match.

The entirety of Fletcher’s senior career has been spent south of the border but he is still fully aware of what is at stake whenever Scottish and English clubs engage in competition.

“The fact that it’s a Scottish team against an English team makes it exciting for everyone. It’s more like a Premiership game than a European tie.

“The atmosphere is always fantastic at Old Trafford, Celtic Park and Ibrox. I speak about it a lot and the foreign lads in our dressing room absolutely love it. I’m not buying into the idea that it’s a foregone conclusion, either.

“I’ve seen Rangers play in Europe and they are difficult and hard to beat. On that UEFA Cup run [in 2008] they had some fantastic results along the way to the final. Having played under Walter Smith I also know how organised his teams are. I know what to expect and it’s going to be a really difficult game for us.”

Defeats to Scottish clubs are few and far between for a bona fide giant of world football, but when they happen, the United players are rarely allowed to forget about it. “I experienced losing to Celtic [in 2006] and I still don’t hear the end of it.

“The Celtic lads all go on about the night [shunsuke] Nakamura scored with the free-kick. And that’s despite the fact we’ve beaten them since then. That’s the only game they want to talk about. It’s why, although it’s great to play against Rangers or Celtic, it’s better to win.”

My link

Up there with Jock Stein? Is he suggesting that Walter knew?