What was ibrox originally called?

MURDOCH

Just been looking at ibrox on wikipedia and it say's

The ground's name was officially changed to Ibrox Stadium after renovations completed in 1997

So what was ibrox originally called, can't seem to find it on wikipedia or is wikipedia just talking it's usual bull?

i dont think stadiums existed in 1899

certainly ibrox wasnt one.

From "Rangers The New Era"

"A sentimental and historic interest was attached to the 13th League match of this season of 1899-00. It was the last to be played on First Ibrox....."

Ibrox Park ceased to exist in 1899, to be replaced by Ibrox Stadium.

"A sentimental and historic interest was attached to the 13th League match of this season of 1899-00. It was the last to be played on First Ibrox....."

and yet caseys picture is from long after that.

i am sure it was ibrox park before the date the op mentions.

As I was walking doon' the Copland Road,

I met a crowd o' strangers,

Says they tae' me, where can we see,

The famous Glasgow Rangers.

So ah' took them o'er tae' Ibrox Park,

etc, etc......etc.

(Note....not 'Stadium') :sherlock:

As I was walking doon' the Copland Road,

I met a crowd o' strangers,

Says they tae' me, where can we see,

The famous Glasgow Rangers.

So ah' took them o'er tae' Ibrox Park,

etc, etc......etc.

(Note....not 'Stadium') :sherlock:

It also mentions GLASGOW Rangers. I still think it was Ibrox Park later than 1899, though.

I would say it would have been around March 1900 at least when it changed to a stadium as this was about the time that the all seating covered enclosures opened.

It also mentions GLASGOW Rangers. I still think it was Ibrox Park later than 1899, though.

They were in Glasgow at the time (these "strangers"), the wee guy in the song wasn't about to take them to London to see Queen's Park Rangers, now was he? :sherlock:

They (these poor bewildered "strangers") were obviously not aware of this epithet being wrong.

And I agree..........it was called "Ibrox Park" when I started visiting it in the 1950's. Many's a day I could be heard shouting at passing adult Bears, "Gonnae' geez'a lift o'er mister?" :rolleyes:

Alot of people think this is a modern attachment to the Rangers name, but we've actually been known as GLASGOW Rangers since the early days in the media, I found an article from the 1880's that calls us 'The Glasgow Rangers'. (I'll try dig out the jpeg of it later tonight for those interested).

They were in Glasgow at the time (these "strangers"), the wee guy in the song wasn't about to take them to London to see Queen's Park Rangers, now was he? :sherlock:

They (these poor bewildered "strangers") were obviously not aware of this epithet being wrong.

And I agree..........it was called "Ibrox Park" when I started visiting it in the 1950's. Many's a day I could be heard shouting at passing adult Bears, "Gonnae' geez'a lift o'er mister?" :rolleyes:

I refuse to believe this CB, you dont look a day under 35 :sherlock:

Rangers v Moscow Dynamo 1945 played at Ibrox Stadium. Look at the programme in the link below.

http://www.rangersfchistory.co.uk/gamedatapage.php?recordID=19451128

So you might have called it Ibrox Park, but it was actually Ibrox Stadium.