Smith not happy with referee.

CottonRunt

Link - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6789906,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Rangers boss Walter Smith was not happy with referee Callum Murray following their 1-0 Scottish Cup defeat to Celtic.

The Hoops clinched victory over their arch-rivals with Mark Wilson grabbing the winner just after the break.

But by the time Celtic took the lead, Rangers were already down to ten-men as Steven Whittaker was sent-off for two yellow cards.

Rangers then had Madjid Bougherra sent-off for a sliding challenge on Kris Commons, before El-Hadji Diouf also saw red after the final whistle.

"Firstly, the first booking Steven Whittaker got he was fouled before any challenge, and didn't warrant one," Smith told Sky Sports HD2.

"I can't argue with the second but the first was harsh.

"Madjid Bougherra, he quite clearly wins the ball and because he slides the Celtic player goes over the top and I felt that was a complete over-reaction.

"As for the last one I don't know, I didn't see it as it happened after the end of the match."

Smith was pleased his side produced a better display than their last visit to Parkhead when they were easily beaten 3-0 last month.

"From our own point of view we did better than we did a few weeks ago," he said.

"We limited Celtic to few opportunities in the game but we didn't really get going in overall terms of possession and threat but we didn't look likely we would concede goals in the manner we did a few weeks ago, so we did turn in a better performance."

The ref was a joke but thats the way it is now .......dont upset them at any cost , but for Smith to blame anyone is a fuckin joke , clueless embarrassment of a manager and the sooner hes gone the better

The ref was a joke but thats the way it is now .......dont upset them at any cost , but for Smith to blame anyone is a fuckin joke , clueless embarrassment of a manager and the sooner hes gone the better

Come on son, open your eyes! The ref played a huge part tonight; he never stopped blowing the whistle!

We were better than the last time, but still not good enough to beat them.

if you here smiths actual interview he only mentions the ref when asked. he could hardly say anything other than what he did.

Link - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6789906,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Rangers boss Walter Smith was not happy with referee Callum Murray following their 1-0 Scottish Cup defeat to Celtic.

The Hoops clinched victory over their arch-rivals with Mark Wilson grabbing the winner just after the break.

But by the time Celtic took the lead, Rangers were already down to ten-men as Steven Whittaker was sent-off for two yellow cards.

Rangers then had Madjid Bougherra sent-off for a sliding challenge on Kris Commons, before El-Hadji Diouf also saw red after the final whistle.

"Firstly, the first booking Steven Whittaker got he was fouled before any challenge, and didn't warrant one," Smith told Sky Sports HD2.

"I can't argue with the second but the first was harsh.

"Madjid Bougherra, he quite clearly wins the ball and because he slides the Celtic player goes over the top and I felt that was a complete over-reaction.

"As for the last one I don't know, I didn't see it as it happened after the end of the match."

Smith was pleased his side produced a better display than their last visit to Parkhead when they were easily beaten 3-0 last month.

"From our own point of view we did better than we did a few weeks ago," he said.

"We limited Celtic to few opportunities in the game but we didn't really get going in overall terms of possession and threat but we didn't look likely we would concede goals in the manner we did a few weeks ago, so we did turn in a better performance."

The bit in bold has pissed me of. "We did better"??

He is saying that like they are miles ahead of us and because we only lost 1 goal it's ok!!!

Unacceptable.

Let's not go down the route of blaming the referee, that only makes us sound like Lemmon across the city. One shot on target in whole game and that was a weak freekick in the ninety second minute sums it up, we weren't good enough, but to be fair the first booking for Whittaker was very harsh.

On a positive note, hopefully the Gers will be even more fired up for the League Cup final and get a bit of revenge then.

When are folk going to learn on here ? Things are never going to change until the gutless wonder has gone ..........3 months of depression coming our way

Less games to fit in, more chance of winning the spl

U do my nut with ur negative posts

we are winning fuck all with this clown in charge .........hard to take in but true ..........

No danger mate, League Cup in the Bag. Championship?? Only our to lose. All the guys on here sayin, "Dont be like them and blame the ref"? Are you serious or what?? The man is a cheat and a fkkn looney.

We are not a dirty,fouling,hard tackling team. Our disciplinary record was right up there in the SPL AND EUROPE. We had 11 first team players out tonight. End of story for me. Defensivly, best we hae played in months. a ricochet and mis-hit, bouncing tamely over our keepr? Aye ok. Only their second chance at goal i believe.

Bring back Willie Collum, we all know his allegience. But he is fair. To the core. He is a professional unlike the ginger cheat again tonight. First Thompson, Then Brines and now Murray. We are slowly weeding them out. Take them to task Rangers. They dont have a refereeing supervisor now?? The RC Church sacked him?? Free reign on the SPL for the unwashed. I dont think so.

We are being pished on. By the bigots, thugs and lowlife politics engrossing not just Scottish Football, But Scotland it's self. Political party's, Jusicial system, Roman Kafflic Church, Strathclyde Police, The Mhedia and now THE FANS??

If we dont unite, fight off this horrible racist scab that blackens our great game, we will lose it forever. Sort this spineless SFA/SPL/SFL out. SFA have rules in place. Celtic fans, The Directors AND the manager have broken these rules, countless times this season alone. Not once being taken to account. I can recall many many times, Rangers, Our directors (Pipe Smoker) and management have been taken to task by the same rules. Why are they different.

We are now the club seeking equality, not favouritism. Will we see it?? Watch the press tomorrow.

Rangers, MORE THAN JUST A CLUB!!!! Follow Follow.

Whilst I dont want to use the ref as an excuse, we were poor tonight but we still could have gotten a result had it not been for such a poor refereering peformance.

If he was going to be shite, he could have at least been consistantly shite.

Bougherra gets his first yellow for pushing Hooper over. Mastarovic escapes a second yellow after pushing a player over in very a similar situation.

Kyle Hutton goes past one, another another then gets brought down... no foul

Bougherra gets his second yellow for?!??! What I can only assume was... a two footed lunge (despite playing the ball)... Their players went in for countless of lunges that clipped our players (nowhere near the ball) but we never lost posession and the ref never pulled the game back to book their player?

The second Whittaker yellow, personally, at the time I thought the ball was there to be won but I still think the ref bottled it and gave in to the crowd (and the celtic players/management) far too many times.