Away goals - they count double by the way

Boab

1) If we lost 2-1, then 0-0 in the 2nd leg would mean elimination.

2) If we lost 2-1, then a 2-1 win in the 2nd leg would mean penalties.

3) If we lost 2-1, then any single goal victory in the 2nd leg more than 2-1 (e.g. 3-2, 4-3, 5-4, etc) would also mean elimination.

As it stands, 1) = penalties and 2) and 3) = wins

The example you gave (a 1-0 win) is the only example where they're the same and we still go through.

the thing with tonight is that 1 goal next week to PSV will probably do it for them

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home goals don't, Walter and Co.

The/this negativity is a bit like getting used to pain or poverty/being on the bread line, one gets used to it but knows its awful.

At the very least, keeping it tight but in the last thirty minutes having Wyylde on the left, Healy through the middle and Weiss on the right? Well Weiss on the right would be far too sensible but thats for another thread.

Haste the summer and Coisty (hopefully) *looks to sky* being happy with creating chances and scoring goals at home and away...

So, I'm not happy. We should be better that being shit scared of everybody, Europe or St Mirren.

So we win 1 nil at home and go through then. Some people r never happy. MON THE BEARS!!

Must I explain this... really?...

Currently, 0-0 at home and its extratime/pens. We would be out had todays game been 2-1.

Currently if we win 2-1, we go through. We would be in extra time/pens had it gone 2-1 today.

If we win by one goal with results like 3-2/4-3 and so on, we would go through. We are out however if it was 2-1 today.

Only results in which it wouldnt matter if it was 2-1 or 0-0 tonight... would be any score draw, a 1-0 win, or them winning. I could have told you this when I was still wearing nappies :lol:

you say that as if we are a free flowing team at ibrox in europe :lol:

3 home goals in 4 european ties this season doesnt suggest that we are capable of scoring 2 goals next week

the thing with tonight is that 1 goal next week to PSV will probably do it for them

I agree, and we'll need a great performance still to get through, but he was saying it's no better than a 2-1 loss.

It's better.

a 0-0 is a good result away ,but its also a good result for them ,they have won 3 times away from home in europe

and where our goals are gonna come from is hard to see..

at 0-0 i wouldnt be surprised if walter shuts up shop again next week ,gonna be a very nervy night me thinks.

I'll smite whoever I want, afterall as you put it I am the mighty smiter, If you can't see the good of tonight's result then you are better of supporting a team like Blackpool.

This is Rangers and we strive for perfection. But Tonight we'll take 0-0 and set ourself up for being the 12th man at Ibrox and will our team onto the next round (tu)

Dublin hear we come, no need to pick faults tonight as it's not merited.

There's always a need to pick faults. Twice they had a free header at the back post. If you don't pick faults when mistakes are made then they'll continue to happen!

Aye, I'd be better off supporting Blackpool because I value a 1-1 draw away in Europe twice as much as I do a 0-0. I can totally see the good in tonight's result. I'm not suggesting Smith just send out these players to play attacking football because they simply can't in Europe. I personally think though that he should be building a more attack minded team, it's not unreasonable to hope for that.

Bit ironic that you're talking about the 12th man at Ibrox and how important they'll be yet you're also telling fans to stay away because of their tactical opinions...

you say that as if we are a free flowing team at ibrox in europe :lol:

3 home goals in 4 european ties this season doesnt suggest that we are capable of scoring 2 goals next week

Would you bet your granny we dont score 3 at home?

It still has a effect with results of 0-0, and 2-1 to us. Free flowing football hardly required for either of those outcomes.

PSV can now do what we did every second leg on the way to manchester

sit in and hit us on the break

potentially next week will be THE most boring game ever as both teams sit in their own half :lol:

It could also be quite exciting if both teams go all out for a goal. 1 goal wins it, imo. It's not going to be a high scoring game so the first goal is huge.

PSV can now do what we did every second leg on the way to manchester

sit in and hit us on the break

potentially next week will be THE most boring game ever as both teams sit in their own half :lol:

:lol:

Should be a classic.

But, seriously, that's exactly the difference between our away games in Europe in 2008 and the one next week. That style won't work against us.

This is what annoys me about this forum.

Disagree with a poster, debate it etc etc but why the need for stuff like 'go and support someone else then'?

I suspect 50% of the posters on this thread are either manic depressives, tims or both

Try telling the Bears in Eindhoven it was a shite result

Well timed post :lol:

We have held out in the game for a draw.

Full game Alexander pulls off 1 great save & PSV pull off a good save from Bartleys header in 2nd half.

Away goals count as double give me a break, (yes they are advantage against home goals) but Boab the way you point out is like we could win 2-1 next week and be made play extra time.

In the end Rangers done extremely well with the resources we had to pull off a draw tonight and it is all in our hands next week to take us into the quarter finals.

correct bit will walter sit in and go for penalties ? i hope not but not to confident to be honest!! :disappointment:

We have held out in the game for a draw.

Full game Alexander pulls off 1 great save & PSV pull off a good save from Bartleys header in 2nd half.

Away goals count as double give me a break, (yes they are advantage against home goals) but Boab the way you point out is like we could win 2-1 next week and be made play extra time.

In the end Rangers done extremely well with the resources we had to pull off a draw tonight and it is all in our hands next week to take us into the quarter finals.

correct bit will walter sit in and go for penalties ? i hope not but not to confident to be honest!! :disappointment:

This is what annoys me about this forum.

Disagree with a poster, debate it etc etc but why the need for stuff like 'go and support someone else then'?

What annoys me about this forum is moaning bastards who can't. see a great European result when it's staring them in the face

To be honest many of them hoped we would go out against Lisbon and again v PSV

I'm really glad I don't know anyone in real life with a defeatist attitude like that

It does make me wonder

Away goals do NOT count double. How can you follow a football team for years and think this?

In the result of a tie on aggregate over two legs, the team with the most away goals will progress. They're basically an extra goal, of course they count double.

Drawing 1-1 at home but then drawing 2-2 away. You haven't scored any more goals than the other team but you progress because they count as an extra goal.

Unless you think that I think losing 2-1 tonight and then drawing 0-0 next week would result in us going through because we have an away goal? I know that isn't the case. <cr>

Losing 2-1 tonight we'd still NEED to score one next week. I'm well aware of that. What it does do though is cancel out any potential away goal they get, which could be deadly in the tie when it's 0-0 on aggregate with no away tie left to rectify it.

What annoys me about this forum is moaning bastards who can't are a great European result when it's staring them in the face

aye and that great european result could very well be undone by one simple goal

we (the moaners) are asking for at least some form of attacking football tonight, i fully understand that we are the weker of the 2 teams, and in worse form than PSV

but at least make an effort to trouble them, our 2 best moments came in the game from 2 players who arent even ours ffs

if PSV get lucky next week and score early on, we simply do not have 2 goals in us imo, and this seasons european campaign proves that