I told you big Davie wasn’t on his knees

I told you big Davie wasn’t on his knees

By ANDY GORAM

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

WHEN the champagne corks have stopped popping and Ally McCoist's head has cleared, it will finally hit my old pal that he's now gaffer of Rangers.

The man chosen to follow in the footsteps of Walter Smith, the first boss of new owner Craig Whyte's reign.

Daunting?

You'd better believe it.

But Coisty will be given every chance. Whyte has already vowed to fund his revolution and back him with the tools needed to do the job.

New players are destined to arrive in the summer - as many as five, possibly more.

But before he can enter the transfer market for the first time, McCoist has matters to attend to much closer to home.

Steven Davis, Madjid Bougherra and Allan McGregor must all be given new deals.

The Gers trio have been the cornerstone of much of the club's remarkable success in recent years.

But perhaps more pressing than any of that is the future of captain Davie Weir.

On Tuesday night, as Rangers placed one hand on the SPL trophy with a 2-0 win over Dundee United at Ibrox, the defender was named man of the match on his 41st birthday.

I've never been one to dish out the advice, but if I was McCoist I'd sling a piece of paper under Weir's nose this morning.

It would be a contract offering the Scotland stalwart a new one-year deal.

Because since his arrival as a 'stop-gap signing' in January 2007, Weir has proved himself invaluable to Rangers.

He is their captain and inspiration. A man defying the odds to keep on performing at the very highest level.

No one has done more to earn a new contract.

Of course, there are those who will argue now is the time to jack it all in and call it a day.

But those are the same people who said Weir was finished when Celtic - and Gary Hooper in particular - ran amok at Celtic Park in Feburary.

Rangers were on the end of a 3-0 hiding but the reaction to Weir's performance, as I made clear at the time, was way over the top.

I knew he'd come back stronger for it. I knew Rangers would come back stronger for it too.

Weir is a remarkable man who richly deserves this third successive SPL title. He is a credit to himself and Rangers.

I don't think Scottish football has seen anyone quite like him before - I've no doubt we won't see his like again.

And that's why I'd love to see him have one more crack at it. I've no doubt he has the desire, the ability and the determination to keep going and I hope he's rewarded with a new deal.

He still has so much to offer both on and off the park.

McCoist could come to rely quite heavily on Davie and that's why I reckon he'd be a terrific guy to have around the place in Coisty's debut season in charge.

I was a little embarrassed - not in a bad way - the other week when Walter said that myself and Davie were his two greatest signings.

I have to confess, however, that I think Davie should be regarded as his greatest.

When I played we were fit.

These days you can't get away with that. You need to be the complete athlete.

Being fit on its own won't carry you into your 40s.

Remember, I played in goals, Davie is outfield with an entire defence and team to marshal.

It's incredible to think that Walter only brought him to the club as a stop-gap signing.

Incredible when you consider he's gone on to establish himself as a Rangers great.

You can put keeper McGregor in the same category. I hope and pray that like Weir he's tempted to stay at Rangers.

This season he's kept 18 clean sheets including eight in his last nine matches.

His penalty save from Georgios Samaras in the last Old Firm game was the pivotal moment in the title race. Had Celtic gone on to win Gers would have been dead and buried.

Instead, Smith's men took heart and drew strength. That is why they're champs.

They've had key players in the right areas who know what it takes to win a championship. They've had more heart, belief, dignity and spirit.

And for it all to be achieved against a backdrop of financial uncertainty is testament to the manager and the players.

We couldn't deliver ten in a row for Walter in his final season in charge first time around. I'm thrilled the current team have been able to send him off on a high. For me he's the greatest Gers manager there's ever been.

Scottish football will be worse off without him.

On a personal level, I'd like to thank him for everything he's done for me. Enjoy your retirement gaffer, it's well-earned!

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3581886/I-told-you-big-Davie-wasnt-on-his-knees.html#ixzz1MTDmJxaa

When your main rivals are fielding MrOstritch, Izzaguiser and Pat M'cat there's no doubt that big Davie's got their mark. He reads the game remarkably, and directs the defence as a captain should. We praised Gough and Butcher for the broken heids and bandages but Davie Weir has emerged, unblooded and unbowed as the true "Captain my Captain ". This side have been totally awesome. I've watched my side for 50yrs and never felt so proud. Thank you Rangers, thank you Walter and Ally and Kenny and Ian and everyone of you for this chance to celebrate this third title. Our team will go on winning and see off the attacks on our heritage. In the meantime, laugh at the cupid stunts, hiding in Benidorm this Summer.