Who has the most fans ? Rangers or Runners up mob

Dunny_01

Reigning champions Chelsea may have won the 2005/06 English Premier League title but Manchester United remains Britain’s most popular football club, according to Roy Morgan International Single Source findings. Manchester United, described recently by American owner Malcolm Glazier as a “franchise”, is supported by 4.209 million Brits. FA Cup Finalist Liverpool is the second most popular British Club with 3.133 million British supporters with Champions League Finalist Arsenal (2.652m) rounding out the top three. Despite their on-field success Chelsea must settle for fourth on the table with 1.485 million supporters. Glasgow Rangers, with 1.43 million supporters, are the fifth most popular team in Britain followed immediately by their old firm rivals and Scottish Champions Glasgow Celtic who are supported by 1.406 million Brits.

From the English Championship League Leeds United (938,000) is the best supported football team from outside the English and Scottish Premier Leagues and is the ninth most popular team overall.

Liverpool will take on the 12th most popular British team, West Ham (691,000 supporters), in this year’s FA Cup Final to be played on May 13th. The Hammers are the fourth most popular London team behind Arsenal (2.652m), Chelsea (1.406m) and Tottenham (1.240m — seventh overall).

Also in the Top 20 are England’s UEFA Cup Finalist Middlesbrough in 16th position (452,000 supporters) and Scotland’s Champions League qualifiers Heart of Midlothian in 18th place (398,000 supporters). Welsh team Cardiff are in 22nd position with 322,000 supporters. Of the 20 most popular teams in the UK, eleven currently play in the English Premier League, three play in the Scottish Premier League and six in the English Championship League.

Position

Britain’s 20 Most Popular Teams

Number of Supporters

Manchester United

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

Rangers

Celtic

Tottenham

Newcastle

Leeds United

Manchester City

Aston Villa

West Ham

Everton

Leicester City

Norwich City

Middlesbrough

Southampton

Hearts

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Sheffield Wednesday

Also the ex-pat / Irish Ethniticity thing in US is GROSSLY mis-interpreted. Due to the influx of Irish Immigrants being in the 1700's it was Scots-Irish (aka Ulster Scots) who arrived first to shape the new country . Ulster-Scots decendents are mixed in with those numbers.Many Irish Americans are not Catholic and don't even realise they are from the North originally.

Absolutely spot on.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We defo have more in Scotland. Something 2/3rd of the Scottish population lives within 25 miles of Glasgow. so mostly Lanarkshire which filled with about 90% Rangers fans. the rest of Scotland is a more even split and they have all of Ireland supporting them

honestly that peter liewell just creases me up says celtic have the 5th biggest support in the world so teams from brazil [flamengo have est. 35 million fans] mexico have a couple man.utd. barca real madrid the list goes on rangers as well FACT ger's have biggest ever travelling support in manchester,biggest away support in barcelona est.22,000 in nou camp and heres a wee fact for you 'figures suggest rangers fans spend more on their team per capita than supporters of any oyher club in the WORLD' so take that P.LIE WELL.

There's a thread appears on ff every now and then, King of the crowds. I can't remember exactly the figures but it states that since organised football was started in the uk there's been something like 96 games where the crowd was 100,000 or more.

Rangers played in something like 43 of these games.

I think the Celtic total was 18

Scottish Premier League

When compared to the average UK football supporter:

Celtic supporters are:

Over twice as likely (151% more likely) to be Catholic.

75% more likely to have bought something from a newspaper coupon or offer in the last 3 months.

71% more likely to agree “I’m more interested in my job than my house”.

39% more likely to agree “I don’t like to know too much about what is going on in the world these days”.

32% more likely to agree “If I could afford to eat out every night I would”.

27% more likely to agree “Credit enables me to buy the things that I want”.

27% more likely to agree “I always read the business section of the paper”.

20% more likely to see their main goal in life is to have “A prosperous life”.

18% more likely to be aged over 50.

16% more likely to be male.

Rangers supporters are:

Over eight times as likely (706% more likely) to a member of the Church of Scotland.

Over six times as likely (529% more likely) to read the Daily Record.

46% more likely to read the Daily Star.

34% more like to see their main goal in life is to have “A family life”.

32% more likely to agree “British beer is the only beer worth drinking”.

27% more likely to agree “I often buy frozen or chilled ready-prepared food”.

26% more likely to agree “I prefer beer to wine”.

25% more likely to watch “Who wants to be a Millionaire?”

19% more likely to agree “I buy the same food ever week”.

18% more likely to be single.

:lol: