Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,

Dennis

Signing players up on 5 an 6 year contracts can only mean Ally is here for the long term. Its not very often you hear of players signing contracts of that length. Which in my opinion means Ally is signing players that will win us the league in the forth coming years. Get davis and Jelavic on these contracts and we have the spine of a team that can become unstoppable domesticaly.

In all seriousness though, would you want Jela on a 5/6 year deal?

If he has a stormer this season it'll be £10m plus to lure him away. That sort of money then goes straight into the squad to freshen up for the next 5/6 years in different positions.

I'm all for sorting out guys like McGregor / Davis etc on bumper deals but not our entire squad.

Not sure if people will understand what I am getting at but hey ho only an opinion.

If he has a stormer this season it'll be £10m plus to lure him away. That sort of money then goes straight into the squad to freshen up for the next 5/6 years in different positions.

I'm all for sorting out guys like McGregor / Davis etc on bumper deals but not our entire squad.

Not sure if people will understand what I am getting at but hey ho only an opinion.

Because he is the best player we have had since the Advocaat era? <cr>

I wouldnt take £10m for him.

Jelavic has quite clearly proved he should be bumped up to a better contract. 5 year contract on 20k a week seems reasonable for a guy of his talent. also means we can quite feesibly demand 15m+ for him.

Because he is the best player we have had since the Advocaat era? <cr>

I wouldnt take £10m for him.

Agreed and agreed, but that's not my point.

The stage we are at as a Club we need to replenish our squad everynow and then.

Jelavic is an asset, sometimes assets get flogged to replenish and improve.

Van Bronckhorst springs to mind as does Alan Hutton and Carlos Cuellar.

Just an opinion.

The two things are not mutually exclusive.

We can sign players on long contracts. For good players this is very desireable.

They are then tied to us unless someone makes a bid, which has to be considerable, before we decide to accept or reject it.

It's a win/win situation for the club and player.

Only drawback comes if a bid appears the player wants and the club doesn't.

We have lost the league's top scorer two years running for peanuts. In what other league would that be allowed to happen ? That's what we get for not having players tied up in contracts. I know they refused them, but if they'd been longer, the issue would not have arisen.

Until the day we can compete outside of Scotland in another league Rangers priority is to keep winning the SPL. Everyone at the club knows that. Whether that's by signing players on short or long term contracts or loan deals it really doesn't matter as long as we keep winning the league. Ally's job is to make sure that happens. If that means long term deals for Shagger etc and selling Jela or others for a large profit so be it. Ally will be forgiven if we slip up one year but not two years in a row.

We are protectIng our assets. Just because these players have signed long deals doesn't necessarily mean they will see them out, it means that if say spurs for arguments sake wanted greegsy very badly in a yr or twos time, they would have to pay through the nose for him, a top class goalie with 4yrs remaining on his contract, "we better get the bigger cheque book out" (arry redknapp).

Win win for the club. We Know that if he stays we've got a top class goalie between the sticks until 2017 or a massive transfer fee if he leaves at sum point.

Yes.

The longer we keep him, the better for us.

And if he was tied up on a big contract then wed get more money for him.

And if he was tied up on a big contract then wed get more money for him.

Player power these days usually means contracts are worth fuckall, I reckon a 3 year deal for Jela is adequate.

Agreed and agreed, but that's not my point.

The stage we are at as a Club we need to replenish our squad everynow and then.

Jelavic is an asset, sometimes assets get flogged to replenish and improve.

Van Bronckhorst springs to mind as does Alan Hutton and Carlos Cuellar.

Just an opinion.

And i respect that but i do not agree with it, he is amazing, one punters pay to watch, we should be keeping players of his ability for as long as we can and replenishing other positions to get better players alongside guys like him. And in doing so, we will continue to get better and grow.

(tu)