Bould: Kyles Spell At Rangers Made A Man Of Him.

PRW.

Kyle Bartley's last spell at Rangers made a man of him, according to Under-18s coach Steve Bould.

The 20-year-old recently signed a new contract at Arsenal but he is back in Glasgow for a season-long loan after helping the Scottish giants secure a League and Cup ‘double’ last term.

Former Gunner Bould has played an influential role in Bartley's development since he joined the Club four years ago and he noticed a marked change in the young defender when he briefly returned to London Colney this summer.

"I have to say he looks like a man, a young man walking through the door," Bould told Arsenal.com. "Previously he looked like a young kid with potential who was growing into a man’s body. Now he carries himself like a man, when you talk him as well, and that’s a fantastic experience he’s had.

"Rangers is a big, big club to play for, there’s a lot of pressure there. We think we’re in a fish bowl down in London but with the Glaswegian environment it’s pressure every day and he has handled it very well. The management have spoken very highly of him up there and it was a terrific experience for him last season.

"I think he has always had lots of potential but now he looks like he believes it himself. He carries himself like a man, not arrogantly, but as if he believes he should be at the top level. That’s the biggest thing he’s gained I think.”

Bartley made his Arsenal first-team debut at the age of 18, completing 90 minutes in a Champions League group game at Olympiacos in December 2009. Bould knows a thing or two about defending at the highest level after winning three titles at Highbury and he believes the Manchester-born defender will soon be ready to handle the pressure of the Premier League.

"I think in terms of pressure, he will soon be ready for that without a shadow of doubt," said Bould. 

"Maybe the level of football is not quite as high as the Premier League but as far as handling the day-to-day pressure and being scrutinised, being at Rangers is very similar to playing at a club like Arsenal. It might be even more intense but he’s handled that, that’s the major thing he’s got out of it. Now he needs to take his next opportunity when he does get a chance in the Premier League.

"I think with hindsight, going out on loan has been great for him. He can play, he’s a big lad and I think when you’re that big people perceive you as a bit of a stopper and he isn’t just that. Kyle has got every chance of making a big career for himself."

Nice to hear that, can influence us getting more loans from down south.

"Maybe the level of football is not quite as high as the Premier League but as far as handling the day-to-day pressure and being scrutinised, being at Rangers is very similar to playing at a club like Arsenal. It might be even more intense but he’s handled that, that’s the major thing he’s got out of it."

I made this point when Mancini said Weiss needs to play at a higher level for it to be worthwhile going on loan.

These big clubs need players with a winning mentality, guys who expect and can deal with the pressure of being expected to win every week, as much as anything else and that's something you can't learn or develop at mid table clubs like Bolton and Stoke.