Did Colin Stein's Suspension Cost Us More Than The Scottish Cup?

Colonel Mustard

The much discussed, Kelly inspired, 6 week suspension of Colin Stein in 1969 has often been blamed for our poor performance in the Scottish Cup final, with his stand in Sir Alex even being blamed for the first, early goal in a 4-0 defeat.

However, there is usually little attention paid to the effect it had on our league run in of that year, and the possibility that Kelly's committee also cost us a title.

OK, we'd had a dismal start to the season which saw us languish in 6th and 5th place in mid season, but we embarked on a run of form which took us into 2nd place for the run in. However, a brilliant 19 wins and a draw in all competitions with talisman Stein in the team came to an abrupt halt when his suspension was about to start.

We had beaten the tarriers during this great run, pumped Aberdeen 6-1 in the cup, and were about to bundle Athletic Bilbao out of the quarter final of the Fairs Cup (old UEFA cup), but when Stein's suspension started we went downhill fast.

As Stein was about to sit out the domestic season, the filth's good run was coming to an end with a draw against Hibs, but we then managed to lose twice in a fortnight to Airdrie and Dundee Utd.

We then immediately followed that up with 2 draws and a loss in the next 4 games to totally capitulate...8 points dropped, with 5 points being the winning margin.

Stein was a colossal centre forward that season, and it wasn't all to do with his goals. He was everywhere in the forward positions, causing havoc. Having Sandy Jardine, Alex Ferguson, and Andy Penman trying to fill in for Stein took the life out of the side. None of them could lead the line like big Colin did.

Do the RM coffin dodgers think that Stein's suspension cost us the Championship as well as the Cup?

Because of the stick he took?

Yep, his autobiography dispels the myth about him being married to a catholic causing a huge problem, but by all means he seemed to take a lot of battering for that cup final. Fergie dreamed of playing for Rangers so obviously something changed for him to turn down the management post.

In those days, suspensions were conducted over a period of time as opposed to a number of games. I remember the incredulity that met Stein's 6 week suspension. Sir Bobness of Bigotry knew what he was doing, he demanded as Chair of the Committtee that at least a six weeks period was ONLY acceptable. Even if the Scottish Cup final had gone to a replay, Stein would have still been suspended.

Stein's suspension ran out in time for him to play for Scotland at Wembley in the Home International championship. He notched our goal in a 4-1 defeat.

Because of the stick he took?

A big part of ra Sellik's game in those days was throwing in the high ball to Big Seezur at set pieces. McNeill had notched several times in big games. Sir Awex was nominated to mark Billy McBungle at set pieces. In the fourth minute of the game, ra Sellik were awarded a corner and McBungle moved forward. He remained unmarked as the ball came in, he headed the ball off the inside of the post into the net, 1-0.

I attended the game and the Rangers support were immediately unforgiving of Ferguson's negligence.

We all love looking at the glories of the past but do we really need to rake over the conspiracy theories and paranoia of so long ago. :disappointment:

It's not so much a conspiracy theory.

Stein's disciplinary record was not good, and his reaction when he was sent off against Clyde showed that he knew he was in for a stiff suspension at a critical time for us. He was on his knees, head in hands, in tears.

However, Kelly's part in him being ruled out for the rest of the domestic season is blatant. An honourable man would have ruled himself out of being part of Stein's hearing, considering that his club were in the race for 2 massive trophies with Rangers.

Sporting integrity and all that jazz.

It's not so much a conspiracy theory.

Stein's disciplinary record was not good, and his reaction when he was sent off against Clyde showed that he knew he was in for a stiff suspension at a critical time for us. He was on his knees, head in hands, in tears.

However, Kelly's part in him being ruled out for the rest of the domestic season is blatant. An honourable man would have ruled himself out of being part of Stein's hearing, considering that his club were in the race for 2 massive trophies with Rangers.

Sporting integrity and all that jazz.

For the part played in this sordid affair by Sir Bobness of Bigotry, I have it on good authority(someone in the pub last night watching the Scotland game), to this day he continues to suck cocks in hell. Karma Loyal RSC.

Did Willie Johnston not also get a 3 week suspension the same month as Stein.

Just checked, and Bud was sent off against Falkirk in mid February. I'm not sure what his suspension was, but he didn't miss more than one game following that.

He was also sent off against Athletic Bilbao a couple of weeks after Stein's dismissal, and I assume that's why he missed the first semi final game against Newcastle.

For the part played in this sordid affair by Sir Bobness of Bigotry, I have it on good authority(someone in the pub last night watching the Scotland game), to this day he continues to suck cocks in hell. Karma Loyal RSC.

At least he's got his pal Desmond for company.

Just checked, and Bud was sent off against Falkirk in mid February. I'm not sure what his suspension was, but he didn't miss more than one game following that.

He was also sent off against Athletic Bilbao a couple of weeks after Stein's dismissal, and I assume that's why he missed the first semi final game against Newcastle.

Was sure that Bud got 3 weeks suspension but i might be wrong.

Was sure that Bud got 3 weeks suspension but i might be wrong.

I checked again and you could be correct on the matter of the length of ban.

He was sent off on the 18th January. It would have taken some time before he went in front of the beaks, and he missed the St Johnstone game on 1st February. We didn't play again until we played Hearts on the 24th (Bud played), so he could have served a 3 week suspension in that time.

(It was a bit before Stein's sending off against Clyde though, which was on 15th March)

Did Willie Johnston not also get a 3 week suspension the same month as Stein.

The Rangers football companion states the Johnston was banned for three weeks on January 27th for his ordering off at Falkirk. And it was the same day as Stein's initial 28 day ban so you got it spot on.

I checked again and you could be correct on the matter of the length of ban.

He was sent off on the 18th February. It would have taken some time before he went in front of the beaks, and he missed the St Johnstone game on 1st March. We didn't play again until we played Hearts on the 24th (Bud played), so he could have served a 3 week suspension in that time.

(It was a bit before Stein's sending off against Clyde though, which was on 15th March)

18th January that game was mate you have the wrong month

The club secretary he mentioned in it? Still only talking about one man there, Celtic fans and others will have you believe he was driven out by the whole club because of his choice in wife.

Luckily I don't talk to any of that lot. :D

That is who I was talking about and Ferguson waited until he was dead before making the accusations. A cowardly act.