Who Benefited From The Ebt?

don logan

Can anyone clarify for me who actually benefitted from the EBT?

Was it the players that participated in the scheme who gained from a higher nett take home pay from their gross earnings?

Was it the club who met the players take home expectations (based on their gross less standard tax rates)but paid less to HMRC by utilising the EBT?

Or did both club and player benefit by "sharing" the savings made?

IMO it was the people on the scheme who benefited.

The way i see it is that if the the member of staff who was on 20k a week then the club are still paying them the 20k a week but the member of staff gets more of that 20k as he is paying less tax/ni than he would if he was not on the scheme.

Probably more complicated than that though.

Having read the post i change it to its both who benefited. As the players are happier getting more of the wages and we got players who otherwise we would have had to increase the wage bill to get.

A question that i've asked as well only to be furnished with throwaway quips, with nothing that resembles an answer, the sums of money involved are pretty stunning and if Rangers were playing the system every other major club must have been doing exactly the same i would have thought.

Good post mate i await replies from the posters who supposedly know about this, anyone give it to us in laymans terms? years,players etc.

You're correct in saying that other clubs have benefitted from this system. many other clubs.

The word is, Rangers will be made an example of, a kind of test case, and others will suffer if we are asked to pay this money back.

Personally, I feel we will win the case, because HMRC, the Government, etc. must realise that should we lose, many other clubs will lose also. And many of those other clubs don't have the resources, or the support, that the Rangers have in order to survive it.

I've a feeling they may be lenient with us due to this.

here's hoping.